[comp.sys.misc] INFO-MICRO Digest V89 #132 - The "Macintoy" chant

munck@MBUNIX.MITRE.ORG (Bob Munck) (06/28/89)

In V89 #132, arc!steve@apple.com (Steve Savitzky) writes:
> ... 1971 or thereabouts was the *Interim* Dynabook: the Alto.  It was
> probably the first workstation.  Its programming language was
> Smalltalk (in an early incarnation).  It *did* have a mouse,
> overlapping windows, scrollbars, popup menus, and icons (used in
> menus).  The screen was 640x800, portrait mode. ... The Dynabook was
> to be a flat laptop with a touch-sensitive screen, equipped with
> cellular radio networking ... The mouse (with three buttons) was
> invented by Doug Engelbart ...

Mostly a good history lesson, but I have a few quibbles:  my impression
was that the Alto's chief language was Mesa (essentially what Ada would
have been if it had been designed by a committee of operating system hackers
instead of a committee of language hackers); the Alto screen was
606x808; I don't remember "cellular radio" being mentioned in the
original Dynabook descriptions.

I'd certainly agree that the Alto was the first (mass-produced)
workstation.  Note that Englebart's 3-button mouse was meant to work
with a 5-key chord keyboard under the opposite hand.  I wish there were
a PC version of it available (or of the larger chord keyboard designed
by J. W. Backus at IBM Cambridge).
                                       -- Bob Munck

steve@arc.UUCP (Steve Savitzky) (07/07/89)

In article <27987.615051406@mbunix> munck@mitre.org (Bob Munck) writes:
>Mostly a good history lesson, but I have a few quibbles:  my impression
>was that the Alto's chief language was Mesa

The Alto was microcoded; the original microcode emulated a DG Nova.
Much of the original OS was written in BCPL; Smalltalk was written in
assembler.  Later on, microcode instruction sets were designed for
Smalltalk, Interlisp, and Mesa.  Smalltalk was the "official" language
for the "interim Dynabook" project.

>                                              the Alto screen was
>606x808;

Well, I knew it was somewhere around there...

>         I don't remember "cellular radio" being mentioned in the
>original Dynabook descriptions.

It wasn't called "cellular", of course, but one of the scenarios
involved sitting out in the woods and accessing a database server
somewhere else.
--
  Steve Savitzky     | steve@arc.uucp | apple.com!arc!steve
  ADVANsoft Research Corp.    |  (408)727-3357