[comp.sys.misc] Help wanted with Mylex & Micronics MB's

pt@beta.lanl.gov (Paul A. Thiessen) (07/15/89)

Hi!
  I'm planning to buy an 80386 25 MHz motherboard. I've found a few good
deals on Micronics and Mylex brands.
  Does anyone have any opinions or experience with either of these two
brands? Both seem to have a pretty good reputation as far as I have
heard. So if anyone has any knowledge (good and bad) about either of
these motherboards, please let me know! (I don't want to spend 2K for
a less-than-wonderful board :-} )

    Thanks for any advice/hints!!!

               - Paul

PAUL THIESSEN                     (Summer only: pt@lanl.gov)
pthiessen@hmcvax.bitnet            ...uunet!jarthur!pthiesse

psb@eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Phil Buckland) (07/15/89)

In article <28151@beta.lanl.gov> pt@beta.lanl.gov (Paul A. Thiessen) writes:
>Hi!
>  I'm planning to buy an 80386 25 MHz motherboard. I've found a few good
>deals on Micronics and Mylex brands.
>  Does anyone have any opinions or experience with either of these two
>brands?

	If you plan to run XENIX, do *not* use the Mylex motherboard.
	While considering how to upgrade his system (PC Limited 286
	with Inboard), a friend of mine found out that the Mylex
	motherboard wouldn't run XENIX.  This is true *only* for their
	25MHz '386 motherboard - the 20MHz and 16MHz do not have this
	problem.  He finally settled on a 25MHz '386 board from AMI.

	I have no knowledge regarding the Micronics motherboard.

				Phil Buckland
				Computer Engineer

				psb@eecea.eece.ksu.edu