[comp.sys.misc] Altos 586 and V20

larry@macom1.UUCP (Larry Taborek) (08/10/89)

Heres kind of a goofy question.  I didn't really know where to
post it so I hope you xenix users arn't too miffed seeing this in
your news group.

I have a Altos 586/40.  This machine has a 8086 CPU.  I have
heard from several people that if you bought a V20 chip and
plugged it in, the Altos would pick up some speed.

Ok, I mail ordered a 10Mz V20 chip and installed it.  No go.
Wont boot up.  Sure power comes on, but I never get any of the
power up diagnostic messages.  I'v tried the reset button, power
on and off, and reseating the chip, all to no avail.  I take out
the V20 and re-install the 8086 and it comes right up.

Naturally the question is, whats wrong?  Too fast a chip?  Need
other chips to help adapt it?  Maby the V20 is bad.  Anyway, if
anyone out there has any experiece with this, I would appreciate
some mail.

Thanks Guys and Gals

Larry

--
Larry Taborek	..!uunet!grebyn!macom1!larry	Centel Federal Systems
		larry@macom1.UUCP		11400 Commerce Park Drive

wrp@biochsn.acc.Virginia.EDU (William R. Pearson) (08/10/89)

	A V20 is an 8088 replacement.  You want a V30 to replace an 8086.

Bill Pearson

pechter@scr1.UUCP (Bill Pechter) (08/10/89)

In article <4891@macom1.UUCP> larry@macom1.UUCP (Larry Taborek) writes:
>Heres kind of a goofy question.  I didn't really know where to
>post it so I hope you xenix users arn't too miffed seeing this in
>your news group.
>
>I have a Altos 586/40.  This machine has a 8086 CPU.  I have
>heard from several people that if you bought a V20 chip and
>plugged it in, the Altos would pick up some speed.
>
>Ok, I mail ordered a 10Mz V20 chip and installed it.  No go.
>Wont boot up.  Sure power comes on, but I never get any of the
>power up diagnostic messages.  I'v tried the reset button, power
>on and off, and reseating the chip, all to no avail.  I take out
>the V20 and re-install the 8086 and it comes right up.
>
>Naturally the question is, whats wrong?  Too fast a chip?

Wrong chip is the problem.  The V30 is the 8086 replacement.  The V20 is
an 8088 replacement and the pinout is different.

The V20 uses an 8 bit data bus.  The V30 is the 16 bit bus version.

Drop in the V30 and everything should work ok.  I've got one in my AT&T6300
and it works beautifully under XenixV-86 and under MS-DOS.  The Altos should
work as well.

Now, if anyone could show me how to squeeze the news software in under Xenix
on an 8086 box with 640k I'd be pleased.  My 80 meg drive is waiting and
I can't seem to get it shoehorned in.  Outside of that it's great and the V30
makes a fair speed difference.

I guess I've got to dump the PC platform and resurrect my 68000 SysV box
next to it.

Bill

--
Bill Pechter -- Home - 103 Governors Road, Lakewood, NJ 08701 (201)370-0709
Work -- Concurrent Computer Corp., 2 Crescent Pl, MS 172, Oceanport,NJ 07757

dinda@cat48.CS.WISC.EDU (Peter Dinda) (08/11/89)

Larry,

      the problem is that you need a V30 chip.  The V20 is a clone of the 8088 while the V30 is an
      8086 clone.

Peter A. Dinda
(please redirect all responses to dinda@VMS.macc.wisc.edu)

macy@fmsystm.UUCP (Macy Hallock) (08/15/89)

In article <4891@macom1.UUCP> larry@macom1.UUCP (Larry Taborek) writes:
>I have a Altos 586/40.  This machine has a 8086 CPU.  I have
>heard from several people that if you bought a V20 chip and
>plugged it in, the Altos would pick up some speed.

This was recently discussed on comp.sys.ibm.pc.
There are several machines using the 8086, most notably the AT&T 6300.
This is a true sixteen bit processor, using a 16 bit bus, as opposed to
the 8 bit bus of the 8088.

The NEC V20 := Intel 8088
The NEC V30 := Intel 8086

I do not know if the V20 chip is damaged by your use of it in an 8086
motherboard.  Give it to somone with a 10 mhz XT clone, let them find
out! :-)
       Macy Hallock               fmsystm!macy@NCoast.ORG
       F M Systems, Inc.          hal!ncoast!fmsystm!macy
       150 Highland Dr.           uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!fmsystm!macy
       Medina, OH 44256           Voice: 216-723-3000 X251
       Disclaimer:                My advice is worth what you paid for it.
       Alt.disclaimer:            Your milage may vary.
       Biz.disclaimer:            My opinions are my own. What do I know?

abcscnge@csuna.csun.edu (Scott "The Pseudo-Hacker" Neugroschl) (08/16/89)

]
]I have a Altos 586/40.  This machine has a 8086 CPU.  I have
]heard from several people that if you bought a V20 chip and
]plugged it in, the Altos would pick up some speed.
]
]Ok, I mail ordered a 10Mz V20 chip and installed it.  No go.
]Wont boot up.  Sure power comes on, but I never get any of the
]power up diagnostic messages.  I'v tried the reset button, power
]on and off, and reseating the chip, all to no avail.  I take out
]the V20 and re-install the 8086 and it comes right up.
]
]Naturally the question is, whats wrong?  Too fast a chip?  Need
]other chips to help adapt it?  Maby the V20 is bad.  Anyway, if
]anyone out there has any experiece with this, I would appreciate
]some mail.

Your problem is simple.  Someone screwed up by saying V20.  They
meant V30.  V20 is a pin-compatible replacement for the 8088.
							^^^^

The V30 is the replacement for the 8086.  Try a V30 instead.

Scott

--
Scott "The Pseudo-Hacker" Neugroschl
UUCP:  ...!sm.unisys.com!csun!csuna.csun.edu!abcscnge