[comp.sys.misc] Connection Machine

maddie@pnet01.cts.com (Tom Schenck) (08/14/89)

   I was looking through a few of my back issues of Scietific American, and I
noticed an article on the Connection Machine... I was wondering if anyone on
the net has heard anything of this machine? It was apparently designed and
built in the mid-1980's, and I haven't heard much else on it.
UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!maddie | Disclaimer :
ARPA: crash!pnet01!maddie@nosc.mil                        | The only company
INET: maddie@pnet01.CTS.COM                               | who thinks like me,
[ Some day I'll come up with a nifty .signature... ]      | is owned by me.

adam@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Adam Glass) (08/14/89)

maddie@pnet01.cts.com (Tom Schenck) writes:
>    I was looking through a few of my back issues of Scietific American, and I
> noticed an article on the Connection Machine... I was wondering if anyone on
> the net has heard anything of this machine? It was apparently designed and
> built in the mid-1980's, and I haven't heard much else on it.

So far as I know, the Connection Machine is a massively parallel machine,
having 16384 (or thereabouts) processors (I think it would be deemed "fine
grain" by most people). It is made by Thinking Machines (Corporation?) here
in Cambridge, MA. Again, this is just a guess, but I believe that we here
at the Media Lab own the only one, though this doesn't sound likely.

Anything beyond that and you're going to have to ask someone who knows more
about the beastie.

Adam

--
"Offer me anything I ask for..."      | email: adam@media-lab.media.mit.edu |
"Anything you want."                  +---------------------------+---------+

bv3456@leah.albany.edu (Victor @ The Concrete Museum) (08/15/89)

In <476@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>, adam@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Adam Glass) writes,
>maddie@pnet01.cts.com (Tom Schenck) writes:
>>    I was looking through a few of my back issues of Scietific American, and I
>> noticed an article on the Connection Machine... I was wondering if anyone on
>> the net has heard anything of this machine? It was apparently designed and
>> built in the mid-1980's, and I haven't heard much else on it.
>
>So far as I know, the Connection Machine is a massively parallel machine,
>having 16384 (or thereabouts) processors (I think it would be deemed "fine
>grain" by most people). It is made by Thinking Machines (Corporation?) here
>in Cambridge, MA. Again, this is just a guess, but I believe that we here
>at the Media Lab own the only one, though this doesn't sound likely.

Off the top of my head:  I believe the CM was designed by Dan Hillis,
who is the author of a book entitled, "The Connection Machine", published
by the MIT Press.  I think the CM can acutally have up to 65536 processors (!),
and must be connected to a front-end, usually a VAX or a Sun.  There is a C
compiler for it (C*), which has some extensions (as well as limitations).

			- victor

cfreese@super.ORG (Craig F. Reese) (08/16/89)

In article <1957@leah.Albany.Edu> bv3456@leah.albany.edu (Victor @ The Concrete Museum) writes:

>In <476@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>, adam@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Adam Glass) writes,
>>maddie@pnet01.cts.com (Tom Schenck) writes:
>>> I was looking through a few of my back issues of Scietific American, and I
>>> noticed an article on the Connection Machine... I was wondering if anyone on
>>> the net has heard anything of this machine? It was apparently designed and
>>> built in the mid-1980's, and I haven't heard much else on it.
>>
>>So far as I know, the Connection Machine is a massively parallel machine,
>>having 16384 (or thereabouts) processors (I think it would be deemed "fine
>>grain" by most people). It is made by Thinking Machines (Corporation?) here
>>in Cambridge, MA. Again, this is just a guess, but I believe that we here
>>at the Media Lab own the only one, though this doesn't sound likely.
>
>Off the top of my head:  I believe the CM was designed by Dan Hillis,
>who is the author of a book entitled, "The Connection Machine", published
>by the MIT Press.  I think the CM can acutally have up to 65536 processors (!),
>and must be connected to a front-end, usually a VAX or a Sun.  There is a C
>compiler for it (C*), which has some extensions (as well as limitations).
>
>			- victor

The CM is a commercial machine that is manufactured & sold by Thinking
Machines Inc. of Cambridge Mass.  It comes in various forms: 2K, 4K, 8K,
16K, 32K and 64K fine grained (single bit) processors.  As of the last
I heard there were about 35 installed at various government, commercial,
and achademic institutions.  The CM-2 (the current model) has a number
of enhanced features of the CM-1 (the one you probably read about).  Some
of these include.  The DataVault mass storage system.  The FrameBuffer
high speed/resolution graphics interface.  There is also a floating point
option that you can get (for big bucks!) which crams upto 2000 Weitek
chips into the 64K box.  In some cases this can really fly.

Within the last year or so there was a pretty good article in IEEE
computer describing the CM-2.  There was also an article in Comm. ACM
a while back that talked about some programming applications.

craig

-----------------
Craig F. Reese                           Email: cfreese@super.org
Institute for Defense Analyses/
Supercomputing Research Center
17100 Science Dr.
Bowie, MD  20715-4300

jdm@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James D Mooney,205K,7,2913548) (08/17/89)

From article <197@crash.cts.com>, by maddie@pnet01.cts.com (Tom Schenck):

>    I was looking through a few of my back issues of Scietific American, and I
> noticed an article on the Connection Machine... I was wondering if anyone on
> the net has heard anything of this machine? It was apparently designed and
> built in the mid-1980's, and I haven't heard much else on it.

The Connection Machine has been a commercial product for several years.
There are at least two current models, CM-1 and CM-2, each with potentially
as many as 64K real processors.  For a fairly recent description see the
article by Tucker and Robertson in IEEE Computer Magazine, August 1988.

Recently an offer was posted on comp.parallel to provide internet access to
a CM-2 at Thinking Machines Corporation.  Accounts were being offered on
request; however, I requested one and was placed on a waiting list.  For
information contact David Ray (ray@think.com).
Jim Mooney				Dept. of Stat. & Computer Science
(304) 293-3607				West Virginia University
					Morgantown, WV 26506
INTERNET: jdm@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu