[comp.sys.misc] Project Management Software

ddavis@APG-EMH5.APG.ARMY.MIL (Dave Davis, HSHB-MLOP) (08/17/89)

	Our group is looking for a Project Management package for use on
standard 286 machines (Z-248's).  Packages we're looking at include
Harvard Total Project Manager, SuperProject, and Timeline V3.0.  Has
anyone got a strong feeling towards/ against any of these (or another)?
Another option is a package for a UNIX system or VMS system, however we
haven't explored this option as of yet.   Any suggestions?  Please
E-mail me and I'll post a summary if there's enough interest.  Thanks.

	ddavis@apg-emh5.apg.army.mil

john@stiatl.UUCP (John DeArmond) (08/20/89)

In article <8908171255.aa10489@BRL-VGR.APG-EMH5.APG.ARMY.MIL> ddavis@APG-EMH5.APG.ARMY.MIL (Dave Davis, HSHB-MLOP) writes:

>	Our group is looking for a Project Management package for use on
>standard 286 machines (Z-248's).  Packages we're looking at include
>Harvard Total Project Manager, SuperProject, and Timeline V3.0.  Has
>anyone got a strong feeling towards/ against any of these (or another)?
>Another option is a package for a UNIX system or VMS system, however we
>haven't explored this option as of yet.   Any suggestions?  Please
>E-mail me and I'll post a summary if there's enough interest.  Thanks.

Harvard Total Project Manager is probably the worst piece of software
I've ever tried to use regardless of function.  The user interface
is counter-intuitive.  Program execution is terribly slow even on a 386 box.
And it crashes unpredictibily on many machines.  The only way I could
get it to print in my compaq 386 was to boot the machine with virgin
DOS, print to a file (and pray it didn't crash), and then copy the
file to a printer.  The appearance of the output on a LaserJet II is very
poor, with non-intersecting lines and munged-together detail in boxes.
I went through a couple of rounds of updates trying to get something
from them that might work.  I finally flushed the system a couple of
months ago.

We are currently surveying what is available and buying evaluation packages.
SuperProject is good as is Microsoft Project.  We've looked at some other
software that is pretty nice.  Stay tuned.  I'll post something regarding
what we find when we get finished.  If you have some really big bux
to spend, look at Primavera.  The Rolls of project management software
and priced similiarly.

John
.

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC                     | Manual? ... What manual ?!?
Sales Technologies, Inc.    Atlanta, GA    | This is Unix, My son, You