[comp.sys.misc] Copyrighting Software with

kg@elan.elan.com (Ken Greer) (10/07/89)

From article <1129@mrsvr.UUCP>, by kohli@gemed (~Software~Surfer~):
> As stated in another article (sorry didn't copy to include
> here) you can copywrite your material by simply inserting:
>                   ^^^^^
>   (c) 1989 Your name, or other variations,

The token (c) has no legal meaning.  The international copyright symbol
is a circle-c.  In the U.S. the word "Copyright" works as well.
Add "All rights reserved" if you want to protect yourself in South
America.

Ken Greer  Elan Computer Group, Inc. 888 Villa St. 3rd Floor Mt View CA 94041
Phone:     415-964-2200
Internet:  kg@elan.com
UUCP:      {ames,hplabs,uunet}!elan!kg

news@bbn.COM (News system owner ID) (10/18/89)

kg@elan.elan.com (Ken Greer) writes:
< The token (c) has no legal meaning.  The international copyright symbol
< is a circle-c.  In the U.S. the word "Copyright" works as well.
< Add "All rights reserved" if you want to protect yourself in South
< America.

For all of you ISOers out there, there is hope, though.  ISO 8859-1
(ISO Latin alphabet 1) specifies letter 10/09 (that's 0xa9 or '\251')
is "COPYRIGHT SIGN", so as long as you can persuade them to read it in
Latin 1, "\251 1989 Yourname" _might_ be enough (but I wouldn't be
willing to go to court with just a \251 between me and

Personally, I'd do something like (in C, of course):

  static char Copyright[] = "Copyright \251 1989 Myname, All Rights Reserved."

(and make sure to spell it right!)

But I'm no lawyer, hence this is non-expert advice...

		-- Paul Placeway <PPlaceway@bbn.com>