[comp.sys.misc] What's a Corvus

lee@wor-mein.UUCP (Lee Dunbar) (01/03/90)

By brother-in-law recently bought a Corvus Machine.

He has the box and the monitor only and is looking for more software
as well as a disk drive of some sort.

Does anybody have any information and/or manuals for these machines ?

Thanks in advance.
--
		Lee Dunbar

                uunet!wor-mein!lee

		Quantum    Medical    Systems,   Inc.
		1065 12th Ave NE,  Issaquah WA  98027
	        (206) 392-9180

conrad@tlc.tlc.com (Conrad Dost) (01/04/90)

Lee Dunbar writes:

> By brother-in-law recently bought a Corvus Machine.

This is probably a CORVUS concept.

The CORVUS concept was limited to 512kb of ram, had a 68000 cpu with no memory management hardware and a large monochrome monitor with bitmap graphics.  No cards can be plugged into it.  To hook up a hard disk you have to use the CORVUS
network which is slow.  Try contacting CORVUS, there are in San Jose, CA and
still breathing, I think.

--
- Conrad Dost, Total Logic Corp.
  12 South 1st Street, #808, San Jose, CA 95113 USA, (408)295-1792

jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) (01/04/90)

In article <1722@wor-mein.UUCP> lee@wor-mein.UUCP (Lee Dunbar) writes:
>My brother-in-law recently bought a Corvus Machine.

Goodness, it's been a while since I've heard that name.  It makes me wonder--
was the name inspired by the Venus Equilateral stories? :-)

"'Not Mister!' he cried. 'I am Corvus the Magnificent, Nilamo of Yoralen!'
 'Yes, Your Magnificence....'"

	from "QRM Interplanetary," by George O. Smith

	James Jones

albaugh@dms.UUCP (Mike Albaugh) (01/05/90)

From article <935@tlc.tlc.com>, by conrad@tlc.tlc.com (Conrad Dost):
> Lee Dunbar writes:
>
>> By brother-in-law recently bought a Corvus Machine.
>

> This is probably a CORVUS concept.
>
> The CORVUS concept was limited to 512kb of ram, had a 68000 cpu with
> no memory management hardware and a large monochrome monitor with bitmap
> graphics.

	So far it sounds familiar.

>  No cards can be plugged into it.

	Uhh, the ones _I_ saw (circa 1982) had a couple Apple ][ slots.
(This is not a typo, and I have _no idea_ why!)

>  To hook up a hard disk you have to use the CORVUS
> network which is slow.

	Not to mention the disk themselves were flakey (the ones a friend
had to use on an Atari 800 system) and the backup-tapes (re-worked VCRs)
which could be read about 45% of the time :-(

>  Try contacting CORVUS, there are in San Jose, CA and
> still breathing, I think.

	As of my March 1988 phone book:

	Corvus Systems Inc
	140 Great Oaks Bl
	(408) 281-4100

But offhand I'd rather spend my time messing with an old Vic-20 (which
comes right after wrestling rabid weasles on my list of fun things to do :-)

					Mike

woods@robohack.UUCP (Greg A. Woods) (01/05/90)

In article <935@tlc.tlc.com> conrad@tlc.UUCP (Conrad Dost) writes:
> Lee Dunbar writes:
>
> > By brother-in-law recently bought a Corvus Machine.
>
> This is probably a CORVUS concept.
>
> The CORVUS concept was limited to 512kb of ram, had a 68000 cpu with no
> memory management hardware and a large monochrome monitor with bitmap graphics.
> No cards can be plugged into it.  To hook up a hard disk you have to use the
> CORVUS network which is slow.

Sort of like a tty5620DMD  :-)  (Only mine has 1 Mb of RAM!)

When I was at the University of Calgary (~1984), there were a number
of people working on a project called JADE (Just Another Distributed
Environment).  Some of the "workstations" used were Corvus Concepts.
JADE workstations were a bit like the blit/DMD environment.

Anyway, from the JADE User's Manual, some more bits of info:

	560 x 720 x 1 bitmapped screen, which may be paleced in either
	"landscape" or "portrait" orientation.

	Full ASCII keyboard

	Software controlled speaker

	Three button optical mouse

	Omninet LAN (1Mb/s) interface

	Two EIA ports (one for the mouse)

	Apple II bus

I probably have copies of the Corvus brochures somewhere, bit I
wouldn't bet I could find them.

I remember the Concept when it was first introduced.  It was fare more
exciting than the average PC and a better processor, and except for a
few odd things like the network interface, I thought at the time it
would be neat to have one, especially since I was (and sill am) quite
interested in window systems and workstation concepts.  Now you'd have
a tough time making me give up my 5620!

(The other primary workstation used in the JADE project was the
Cadlinc Sun Workstation.  It had higher resolution (1024x780), more
memory (768Kb + display RAM), special graphics hardware, Pronet
network interface (10Mb/s), 6 EIA ports, and MULTIBUS expansion
slots.  This machine was considered to have far more potential than
the Concept.)
--
						Greg A. Woods

woods@{robohack,gate,tmsoft,ontmoh,utgpu,gpu.utcs.Toronto.EDU,utorgpu.BITNET}
+1 416 443-1734 [h]   +1 416 595-5425 [w]   VE3-TCP   Toronto, Ontario; CANADA

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (01/05/90)

In article <1443@mcrware.UUCP> jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) writes:
|In article <1722@wor-mein.UUCP> lee@wor-mein.UUCP (Lee Dunbar) writes:
|>My brother-in-law recently bought a Corvus Machine.
|
|Goodness, it's been a while since I've heard that name.  It makes me wonder--
|was the name inspired by the Venus Equilateral stories? :-)

	Perhaps, but "corvus" is also the
	Latin word for "crow".

Cheers,
--
  \\\\	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \66/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

Mandel@granite.cr.bull.com (Mark Mandel) (01/06/90)

>>My brother-in-law recently bought a Corvus Machine.
>
>Goodness, it's been a while since I've heard that name.  It makes me wonder--
>was the name inspired by the Venus Equilateral stories? :-)

It's Latin for 'crow' (the bird).  The symbol on Corvus disk drives
seems to be an approximation of the constellation Corvus.
--

	-- Mark Mandel          (InterNet: Mandel@granite.cr.bull.com)

 /* My employer is not responsible for anything I say, do, think, or eat. */