[comp.sys.misc] NCR Tower - PC File exchange

dar@nucleus.mi.org (Dario Alcocer) (02/15/90)

Does anyone know how to transfer files between an NCR Tower machine
running Unix and IBM PC-DOS file?  I noticed that the Tower has
a 5-1/4" floppy drive, but the only way I can write to it is via
cpio redirected to /dev/fd0.  After I do this, though, I can't read the disk
on MS-DOS.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...
Dario.
--
Dario Alcocer                | Internet: dar@nucleus.mi.org
Associate Software Engineer  | voice: 619-270-1994, x5119

hl.rogers@ofc.Columbia.NCR.COM (hl.rogers) (02/16/90)

In article <5531@nucleus.mi.org> dar@nucleus.mi.org (Dario Alcocer) writes:
>Does anyone know how to transfer files between an NCR Tower machine
>running Unix and IBM PC-DOS file?  I noticed that the Tower has
>a 5-1/4" floppy drive, but the only way I can write to it is via
>cpio redirected to /dev/fd0.  After I do this, though, I can't read the disk
>on MS-DOS.
>
>Any suggestions?

In the on-line software description contained in /etc/RELDEF/your.release.
number.rd, there is a section that describes how to read and write to a
floppy disk having an IBM-PC format.  Just pull that file into your
favorite editor, do a search for IBM-PC, and read the section.  Of course,
if you have a hard copy of the Release Definition, it's just as easy to
look it up.

Note that the TOWER cannot format the diskette.  It has to have been
previously formatted.

There is a script called /usr/bin/pcnodes that will built device nodes
for the drive to operate as a PC-compatible drive with 256 byte sectors.
'pcnodes' builds device nodes for devices having 40 or 80 tracks,
single or double-sided, and 8 or 9 sectors per track (2**3, or 8, nodes
in all).

By the way, I believe this works only for the "MSC" controller, not
for SCSI...I could be wrong.

>Thanks in advance...

Hope this helps...good luck!
>Dario.
>--
>Dario Alcocer                | Internet: dar@nucleus.mi.org
>Associate Software Engineer  | voice: 619-270-1994, x5119
>Emerald Systems              | Standard disclaimers apply.
HL Rogers    (hl.rogers@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM)
Me?  Speak for my company??  HA!
"Call 202/653-1800 for a good time!" - John Matrow, 1989

bobcloud@ficc.uu.net (bob cloud) (02/16/90)

In article <5531@nucleus.mi.org>, dar@nucleus.mi.org (Dario Alcocer) writes:
> Does anyone know how to transfer files between an NCR Tower machine
Plug in the PC in place of a terminal and KERMIT the files across.  The
Procomm communication program from Datastorm works well for me.

WTYFYS (We Thank You For Your Support). Bob Cloud 713-274-5530

tmoore@coss.Dayton.NCR.COM (Tom Moore) (02/16/90)

dar@nucleus.mi.org (Dario Alcocer) writes:

>Does anyone know how to transfer files between an NCR Tower machine
>running Unix and IBM PC-DOS file?  I noticed that the Tower has
>a 5-1/4" floppy drive, but the only way I can write to it is via
>cpio redirected to /dev/fd0.  After I do this, though, I can't read the disk
>on MS-DOS.

Check out the program "pcdsk" provided with the TOWER.  It can supposedly
do what you are asking.  Not that it is not a supported piece of software.

The reason that I say supposedly is that I don't personally use pcdsk
so I cannot speak from experience.  I generally use the TOWER sb and rb
commands to transfer files with YModem batch mode.  (Please, all of you who
have other, possibly better choices for file transfer need not try to
convert me.  YModem works fine for me.)

Good luck.

--
* Tom Moore                NCR Corporation  PCD-6              (513) 445-1373 *
* Consulting Analyst       1700 S. Patterson Blvd.         VOICEplus 622-1373 *

heath@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Robert Heath) (02/16/90)

Dario,

	For diskette interchange between between TOWER and PC you may use a
utility called "pcdisk".  Also on every TOWER shipped since
TOWER 32/6X0, O.S. Rel. 2 are two comm utilities "rz" and "sz" which
implement X/Y/Zmodem. These are easily used with PROCOMM, etc.

	I am e-mailing you a set of public domain utilities for
TOWER-to-PC diskette interchange. Collectively known as MTOOLS, they support
5.25" flexes up to 360KB and 3.5" flexes up to 720KB.  They work with
either MSC or SCSI controllers on TOWER 32/200,-400,-6X0, and -700.

	Robert Heath

btrue@emdeng.Dayton.NCR.COM (Barry.True) (02/16/90)

In article <5531@nucleus.mi.org> dar@nucleus.mi.org (Dario Alcocer) writes:
>Does anyone know how to transfer files between an NCR Tower machine
>running Unix and IBM PC-DOS file?  I noticed that the Tower has
>a 5-1/4" floppy drive, but the only way I can write to it is via
>cpio redirected to /dev/fd0.  After I do this, though, I can't read the disk
>on MS-DOS.
>
>Any suggestions?

The reason you can't read the TOWER flex on DOS after cpio is that it is in
the wrong format. You can simply copy files to a flex on the TOWER by
formatting the flex on the TOWER and mounting /dev/fd70 on an empty
directory (i.e., /etc/mount /dev/fd70 /mnt). However you still won't be
able to read the disk on the PC because the flex is in UNIX format, not DOS
format. I don't know offhand of any UNIX to DOS conversion methods other
than what we use here at our location (i.e., TOWERs and PCs connected to a
LAN using remote login and binary file transfer methods in a client/server
environment). I believe I've heard of some method to convert/read UNIX
68000-based formatted disks to DOS but I can't think of any off-hand.
Anybody else know of any packages that do this?
is

chris@lxn.chi.il.us (Christopher D. Orr) (02/16/90)

dar@nucleus.mi.org (Dario Alcocer) writes:

>Does anyone know how to transfer files between an NCR Tower machine
>running Unix and IBM PC-DOS file?  I noticed that the Tower has
>a 5-1/4" floppy drive, but the only way I can write to it is via
>cpio redirected to /dev/fd0.  After I do this, though, I can't read the disk
>on MS-DOS.

>Any suggestions?

There are two good possible solutions:

1)  Get the PAX utility recently posted to the net (sources.misc I
think).  It will accomplish exactly what you are trying to do (by
using floppies).

2)  Connect your PC to the Tower and use a transfer protocol to
download the files.  I use ZMODEM on both ends and it really flies.
This, to me, is much easier than using the diskette method.

			--Chris

--
Christopher D. Orr                  | WISE OLD SAYING:
UUCP: {edsews,lehi3b15}!lxn!chris   |   Subtlety is the art of saying what you

shagan@ncrwic.Wichita.NCR.COM (Steve Hagan) (02/17/90)

In article <5531@nucleus.mi.org> dar@nucleus.mi.org (Dario Alcocer) writes:
>Does anyone know how to transfer files between an NCR Tower machine
>running Unix and IBM PC-DOS file?  I noticed that the Tower has
>a 5-1/4" floppy drive, but the only way I can write to it is via
>cpio redirected to /dev/fd0.  After I do this, though, I can't read the disk
>on MS-DOS.
>
>Any suggestions?

The command pcdsk(1) is used to read and write to a PC-DOS or MS-DOS 5-1/4"
floppy disk.  The floppy must already be formatted.  When writing to the
floppy, the date and time are not put into the directory.  Also, you must
run pcnodes with no parameters (superuser only) once before using pcdsk.

Stephen C. Hagan, Group Leader, Automation Engineering
NCR Corporation, Peripheral Products Division
 NCR:654-8130 <Steve.Hagan@Wichita.NCR.COM>
(316)636-8130 <uunet!ncrlnk!ncrwic!sfc!shagan>
--

tim@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM (Tim Nelson) (02/21/90)

In article <1990Feb16.154651.4085@lxn.chi.il.us> chris@lxn.chi.il.us (Christopher D. Orr) writes:
>dar@nucleus.mi.org (Dario Alcocer) writes:
>
>>Does anyone know how to transfer files between an NCR Tower machine
>>running Unix and IBM PC-DOS file?  I noticed that the Tower has
>>a 5-1/4" floppy drive, but the only way I can write to it is via
>>cpio redirected to /dev/fd0.  After I do this, though, I can't read the disk
>>on MS-DOS.
>
>>Any suggestions?
>
>There are two good possible solutions:
>
>1)  Get the PAX utility recently posted to the net (sources.misc I
>think).  It will accomplish exactly what you are trying to do (by
>using floppies).

There is a utility on most NCR Towers (if not all), called "pcdsk".
Look for this in the user manual.  It is not supported, but I have
used it, and still use it quite often (read at least twice each week).

Before you use "pcdsk" you have to run "pcnodes", as super-user I believe.
You may have to modify "pcnodes" to suit your particular needs,
but the change is usually just modifying the major/minor numbers in
the script "pcnodes".

Also note that disks must be formatted to low (?) density on a PC
before use. (is 360K for a 5 1/4" low density?, whatever it is called)

>2)  Connect your PC to the Tower and use a transfer protocol to
>download the files.  I use ZMODEM on both ends and it really flies.
>This, to me, is much easier than using the diskette method.

This is definitely faster if you have a lot to transfer, but for
one time use, or single files, then a utility similar to "pcdsk"
would be simpler.

later,

                       =====
tim nelson       | uucp        ...!uunet!attcan!ncrcan!tim
ncr canada       | internet     Tim.Nelson@Toronto.NCR.COM
(416) 826-9000   | 6865 Century Ave, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada L5N 2E2
                       =====
* Have a good day, and a great forever!                    * What?