[comp.sys.misc] AC Network card

shawn@mit-eddie (Shawn F. Mckay) (03/04/90)

Greetings, I wonder if anyone has heard of a company called "Carrier Current",
located in Durham, NC? I was reading an aricle from a few years back about
a product they were selling called "CarrierNet", What I guess it was is a
card to permit you to use the regular A/C lines of your house to set up a
local area network, (up to the nearest transformer anyway).

I called them, and they don't seem to be around any more, but the idea hits
me as SUPER, especially for the hobby market, so how could something this
winning die out? Granted they wanted *MUCH* too much for the product, but
this alone seems like a poor reason for it to die out... Or is it?

Needless to say, I would be very interested in hearing about any similar
products.. Also, does anyone know if the TANDY power center controllers
can be used as network imps? After all, they talk RS232 on one side,
and send signals to remote-units on the other via the A/C lines, comments?

Anyway, thanks for any help, if I get any intrest, I'll post a followup,
with a list of suppliers/products...

				Thanks again,
				  -- Shawn

dca@kesmai.COM (David C. Albrecht) (03/07/90)

In article <1990Mar3.235252.7708@eddie.mit.edu>, shawn@mit-eddie (Shawn F. Mckay) writes:

> Greetings, I wonder if anyone has heard of a company called "Carrier Current",
> located in Durham, NC? I was reading an aricle from a few years back about
> a product they were selling called "CarrierNet", What I guess it was is a
> card to permit you to use the regular A/C lines of your house to set up a
> local area network, (up to the nearest transformer anyway).
Carrier Current Technologies, Inc.
9600-J Southern Pines Blvd.
Charlotte, NC 28217
(704)529-6550

They are advertised in the latest Computer Shopper so if they are not
around anymore it's a recent deal.

> I called them, and they don't seem to be around any more, but the idea hits
> me as SUPER, especially for the hobby market, so how could something this
> winning die out? Granted they wanted *MUCH* too much for the product, but
> this alone seems like a poor reason for it to die out... Or is it?

Yes, it is a neat idea.  At $199 a unit (minimum of $398 since you need two
for a connection), however,  I suspect most hobbists would opt for the
uglier but cheaper route and just run a wire.

David Albrecht