[comp.sys.misc] The Sinclair QL 68008 micro still lives!

hclase@kean.ucs.mun.ca (Howard Clase, Chemistry, MUN) (03/15/90)

Due to problems with our news software the following followups to
requests for info about the QL did not get out of our local cluster.
I am told I can now try again, so response would be appreciated.

	I am thinking of starting a moderated QL news group if there
are not too many users out there.  (If there are, we should be able to
make a regular group!)   If anyone is interested please MAIL me your
interests and address.   Has anyone worked out how to get files
directly into the net from a QL (I can only do it via another micro,
which is clumsy!)

	Howard Clase		hclase@kean.ucs.mun.ca.bitnet

In article <1352@awdprime.UUCP>, dcampbel@dcampbel.austin.ibm.com (David L. Campbell) writes:
> Through the net, I recently purchased a Sinclair QL computer to hack
> around on -- maybe you saw the for-sale ad.
>
> The thing is kind of interesting and has been a source of amusement.  It
> uses these funky little continuous-loop tape drives called "Microdrives".
> Well, it would be really nice to buy a large supply of these tapes as
> the computer only came with about 8 or so, and the computer has been
> discontinued in the US, I believe.

	Microdrive tapes are still available in the U.K. although, at
#2 (#=Pound) for 1 kB, they are an expensive storage medium - handy
for mailing though!   The cheapest on offer in the Jan 1990 issue of QL
World is 10 for #18 plus postage from:

	EEC Ltd.
	18-21 Misbourne House, Chiltern Hill
	Chalfont St Peter
	Bucks
	U.K. SL9 9UE		Tel (01144) 753 888866     Visa/Mastercard

	Sometimes "once used" cartridges are available more cheaply,
but I haven't seen an ad for those lately.   There is a real
likelyhood that the supply will dry up altogether since the
manufacturers claim that suitable tape (VCR tape) is no longer
available.

	Most serious QLers have upgraded to disks (3.5" generally,
but most formats are supported by most interfaces), and 640 kB of RAM.
Support is dwindling, but there is a suprising amount left - a
testimony to the philosophy behind the machine, if not to Sinclair
himself, who rather let us down in the end.   The best things to do
are:
a.	join Quanta, a user group based in the U.K., but with a N
American sub-librarian, and get access to their extensive library (30+
disks, or over 200 tapes) plus the monthly magazine/newsletter.
There are quite a lot of US and Canadian members - #17 p.a.
(Sorry mailing address not to hand.)

b.	Get hold of a recent issue of QL World, (or subscribe) for
addresses of suppliers etc.
	US subs $45 p.a. TIL, PO Box 74
			 Paddock, Tonbridge
			 Kent UK TN12 6DW

c. 	Mail a known user, they are generally pretty helpful!

	There is some prospect of a new N AM user group arising from
the ashes of a couple of others.   I'll post if anything comes of it.

	Finally, a Dutch user has ported a version of MINIX to the QL,
see the MINIX news group, he claims there was quite a response, so
there must be several QLers out there!

Howard Clase

	A couple more addresses:-

Quanta user group secretary,
	Phil Borman
	15 Grosvenor Crescent
	GRIMSBY
	South Humberside
	U.K.   DN32 0QJ

Possible source of microdrive tapes in the USA,
	Sharp's Inc
	Rt 10, Box 459
	Mechanicsville
	VA 23111		(804) 746-1664 & 730-967

	Howard Clase

In article <494.25c71491@ccvax.ucd.ie>, h235_057@ccvax.ucd.ie writes:
> 	I have just got a hold of a spectrum QL which is useful enough but not
> for my purposes.Downstairs ,there exists an ericcsson pc with a harddisk with
> an awful lot of important work on it.
> 	Now,is there a way of inter connecting the two,so that two people can
> use it ,one on QL the other on the PC.
> 	Any ideas on what is needed and what do do?

	I think you mean a Sinclair QL, the 68008 machine with the
microdrives?    If so I don't think you can network them, although you
can sent files back and forth via the RS232.   The networking built
into the QL doesn't work properly even with another QL, although you
can buy software that fixes it it still wouldn't work with an IBM
clone. The problem with the RS232 is
that the input buffer on the QL is small, and you must use hard wire
handshaking, or you lose characters going into the QL.   There's less
trouble the other way.   I haven't tried with an IBM clone, but I've
done it with an Acorn BBC.   If there was KERMIT  available for the QL
it would help, does anyone know if there is?

	If you do try to wire up the RS232s the pin numbering is the
same as given in the manual, despite the fact that it refers to a DIN
plug, and you have a D9.    Except that the 12V D.C. is on pin 9 not
pin 6.

	Howard Clase

	Ablex(?) who made the mini-tapes for the Sinclair QL have
announced that supplies of suitable tape have dried up.  (Odd, I
thought it was VCR tape they used!)   This means no more tapes beyond
the ones presently with retailers.   Info from the Feb 1990 issue of
QL World which has just reached me.

	If as a consequence of this anyone is thinking of throwing
their QL away, please let me know, I'm looking for a replacement backup
for the one that got lost in the mail.   I might even pay a few $ for
it!   JSU (North AMerican) models preferred.   Any other offers of QL
hardware also might be of interest.

	Howard Clase     hclase@kean.ucs.mun.