[comp.sys.misc] Intergraph's CLIX and /bin/test

acw@uafhcx.uucp (Andrew Welch) (04/10/90)

I was recently running a shell script and noticed that my Intergraph IP340
did not have "/bin/test" as an included command.  Is this normal for the
CLIX operating system?  If so, is there another command that will do the
same thing?  How 'bout it all you Intergraph wizards!  Thanks for the help.

-Andy   acw@uafhcx.uark.edu

ryan@b11.ingr.com (Ryan Waldron) (04/11/90)

In article <4037@uafhp.uark.edu> acw@uafhcx.uucp (Andrew Welch) writes:

>I was recently running a shell script and noticed that my Intergraph IP340
>did not have "/bin/test" as an included command.  Is this normal for the
>CLIX operating system?  If so, is there another command that will do the
>same thing?  How 'bout it all you Intergraph wizards!  Thanks for the help.
>
>-Andy   acw@uafhcx.uark.edu

The test command is available as a builtin in both /bin/sh (Bourne shell)
and /bin/ksh (Korn shell), both of which are delivered with CLIX.  Since
the behavior of /bin/test is duplicated by the (faster) builtins, the actual
/bin/test program is not delivered.  The test command is not available to
those who wish to use the /bin/csh (C shell), but most of the functions of
/bin/test are available through builtin csh syntax as well, through the use
of the

 if (expr) then
 else
 endif

construct.  See the man page for further details on the csh syntax, and
'test' away with sh and ksh.
--
Ryan Waldron @ Intergraph    |    "With glory and passion,
aladdin!ryan@INGR.COM        |     no longer in fashion,

landers@mabel.UUCP (Joe Landers) (04/11/90)

Andy Welch asks:

> I was recently running a shell script and noticed that my Intergraph IP340
> did not have "/bin/test" as an included command.  Is this normal for the
> CLIX operating system?  If so, is there another command that will do the
> same thing?  How 'bout it all you Intergraph wizards!  Thanks for the help.

Since Intergraph's CLIX is a derivative of System V, 'test' is built into the
shell.  If you want more information, look at the book "The UNIX Programming
Environment" by Kernighan and Pike (ISBN 0-13-937681-X).  They talk about this
issue in Chapter 5.

--
Joe Landers
TechniCon Computer Services