[comp.sys.misc] Any Intergraph User's out there?

weyh@.uucp (Darwin C. Weyh) (08/30/90)

I need to know if there many users of INTERGRAPH systems are out there
in the USENET community.  So if you are using INTERGRAPH systems or
sofware, please send me mail and information about what you are using.

thanks,

Darwin C. Weyh -- Consultant for the Los Angeles Dept of Water and Power
POB 111 Rm 848   Los Angeles,  CA 90012  (213) 580-0822

cof@pandora.cs.wayne.edu (Colleen Farrell) (08/31/90)

Yep.  Here's another Intergraph user out here on Usenet.  I work for a
natural gas utility company in Detroit, Michcon.  We have a 6310 Vax along
with six Intergraph workstations, Interacts, an Interpro, and two 3000
series workstations.  We are using Intergraph to map out our service
territory.

What's this about not using a disk-defragmenter?  I know our vax system
manager has defragmented our drives.  Do you mean the workstation hard
drives?

BTW, I think I may have been in a Framme class with two people from LA
Power and Light.  The class was in May in Huntsville.  Sorry, but I don't
remember their names.

Let me know what you are doing with Intergraph.

Email or post,  Colleen

sergio@squid.rtech.com (Sergio Aponte) (09/03/90)

	Well, one more...

	I work for Ingres Corp., RDBMS company, and I use an Interpro 120 as my
	daily driver. We in support provide backline support to Intergraph
	on the Ingres product on their boxes.

	I have CLIX on mine, having lots of fun with X, etc... And of course,
	I have Ingres 5 and 6 on it.

	It is funny to see sun and decstats and vaxstat user walk by and go
	"what the heck is that??? Boy, looks good!"

| Internet: sergio@squid.ingres.com      Sergio L. Aponte, MTS @ Ingres Corp. |
| UUCP    : {sun,mtxinu,pyramid,pacbell,hoptoad,amdahl}!ingres!squid!sergio   |

cameron@kirk.nmg.bu.oz (Cameron Stevenson) (09/05/90)

From article <weyh.652027308@plot>, by weyh@.uucp (Darwin C. Weyh):

> I need to know if there many users of INTERGRAPH systems are out there
> in the USENET community.  So if you are using INTERGRAPH systems or
> sofware, please send me mail and information about what you are using.

G'Day from down under!

Hey this is great! You wouldn't believe what just happened. I was sitting here
in front of my IP120, filling in time by reading the CLIPPER Release News from
July, 1989 (I know, it's a bit late, but I have already read once, and I
thought I'd better have another look before we get our next upgrades). Anyway,
I have been reading the Usenet stuff for a while now, and have been lamenting
about how there is no Intergraph stuff, despite the fact that their bulletin
board service seems to be part of the Usenet community.

Well, I read the chapter on setting up a usenet feed to our site, and saw the
reference to comp.sys.misc. I thought, I did, nah there won't be anything in
there; nobody with Intergraph equipment seems to post. I can't describe how
surprised I was when I saw "Any Intergraph users out there". So, yep, I'm here.

A little introduction....

The site is Bond University, Australia's first private university. The
university has been operational since May '89 and now has around 1000 students.
We have two measly InterPro 120's doing the majority of the work for the system
we are establishing (I'll explain the system shortly). As well as those two
machines, we are hooked to the university's network, and can 'talk' to the
nearly 1000 Mac's, 200 PC's, 100 or so VaxStations, and assorted MicorVax's,
Sun's, and Pyramids.

The network is interesting in that it is twisted-pair
wiring around the skirting boards of every room, which goes to a riser. It is
then converted to ethernet, sent down to the basement, where it meets
a MicroVax 3100, converted to token ring on a fibre optic loop, and sent to
the recieving MicroVax, which sends it all out to the recieving machine. It is
all very fast, especially with those 3100's (one in the basement of each
building) doing nothing more than network routing. Appletalk runs across the
site, so that any Mac can talk with any other Mac. We have our Mac's talking to
the workstations in a number of ways, all of them not totally successful (any
good suggestions?)

The project(application) we are building with our trusty Intergraph equipment
is a facility management system, starting with an as-built graphic/non-graphic
database. We then link this as-built database with task related applications
that will be used in the day-to-day running of the university's facilities ie.
maintenance, space planning, asset register, key register, building automation,
security, etc, etc.... The main advantage (the main justification if you like)
of linking these systems through to the as-built database is that there is
usually a degree of overlap in the information each system needs. By this I
mean that the maintenance system needs to know information about rooms (room
number, floor area, surface finishes, etc), while the space planning system
also needs to know information about rooms (room number, floor area, use,
occupant, etc). As you can see there is some overlap. Now, if we change the
room number (say by management decree), and we were running a bunch of separate
systems (as is normally the case), we would have to remember to change that
room number in each separate system (with the inherent problem of data
integrity). The  graphics side of the as-built data base is used as the
'language reference' for the non-graphic database. By this I mean, it is not
normally easy for people to remember room numbers, but where the room is
located. So a drawing is far more useful as a central reference source than
any forms based database could ever hope to be.

The tools we are using are MicroStation (naturally) for the graphics database
(32, PC, and Mac versions), linked via the network to a directory where all the
drawings are kept (wherever on the network I can find enough room, currnet one
of the MivcroVax's). We NFS mount the remote directory, and bingo everyone can
use the drawings. The drawing elements are linked to ORACLE, which once again
runs across all platforms. This way we can have people working all day in
ORACLE, and not ever see a drawing (data entry, mainly), or others who work
on the drawings without worrying about the database. We have been developing
a front end to the system for the Mac's using HyperCard so that anybody on site
can get access to the information eg. what is the temperature of my office?
Change it up a degree or two... Where does Wendy Cameron sit? When is that
room vacant next week, etc.....

The equipment specifics are: 2 x IP120's (15"/80mb, 19"/156mb), 2 x MS32,
2 x Project Architect, 1 x ModelView

So there you have. Now how about anyone else... What have you got, what are
you using it for?

Cameron Stephenson                     Telephone +61 75 951220
Bond University
Gold Coast    Australia

PS. I must say now that some of our software has been loaned to us by
Intergraph Australia. Without their support, we could never have gone as far
as we have in the short time we had available to us. The university has been
through some extremely tough economic times during it's startup phase, and
while we are now slowly buying anything we don't own, Intergraph's help has
been immeasurable. WELL DONE INTERGRAPH!!

PPS. How the hell do I send an email message to some of the Intergraph staff
at Hunstville. They use UUCP addressing while we use Internet addressing over
here. I need a full path as the Internet routers don't seem to be able to route
a UUCP address. Specifically I want to send a message to Tony Crawford to
introduce myself (I'm the newly elected AEC SIG Chairperson for Australia). Any
help would be welcomed.

darryl@b11.ingr.com (Darryl Davis) (09/06/90)

In article <2214@kirk.nmg.bu.oz>, cameron@kirk.nmg.bu.oz (Cameron Stevenson)
writes:

>PPS. How the hell do I send an email message to some of the Intergraph staff
>at Hunstville. They use UUCP addressing while we use Internet addressing over
>here. I need a full path as the Internet routers don't seem to be able to route
>a UUCP address. Specifically I want to send a message to Tony Crawford to
>introduce myself (I'm the newly elected AEC SIG Chairperson for Australia). Any
>help would be welcomed.

Try using

    <Intergraph internal mail path>@ingr.com

where <Intergraph internal mail path> is what comes after uunet!ingr! in
the Intergraph employee's UUCP path.  For example, Tony Crawford's UUCP
path from outside of Intergraph is

    ...!uunet!ingr!b17b!tonyc!tony

From Internet, you should be able to reach him using

    b17b!tonyc!tony@ingr.com

Good luck!

                                     Darryl

--                                                                        --
Darryl Davis                                      Phone:  (205) 730-8554
Manager, Electronics Software Engineering         Fax.:  (205) 730-8344
Intergraph Corporation                            Internet:  darryl@ingr.com
Huntsville, AL  35894-0001                        UUCP:  uunet!ingr!darryl
--                                                                        --

dale@tc.fluke.COM (Dale Brandenstein) (09/16/90)

My company designs and manufactures electronic test and measurement
instruments. Perhaps our most well known products are digital hand-
held multimeters.

We have had four Interpro workstations since February of 1989. I am
a senior modelmaker, and use an IP340 for 3-axis NC programming.
An IP220 and IP360 are used for mechanical design. The fourth station
is an IP6280 with 27" screen, used for industrial design.

We will be acquiring two more IP6000 series stations this fall for
mechanical drawing and design.

Our company has a variety of PC's and Sun workstations, too. Our
network is Ethernet, with TCP/IP protocol and NFS. This is what we
have the Intergraph stations networked to.

Dale Brandenstein 		John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.
Email: dale@tc.fluke.COM	PO Box C9090	M/S 126
Phone:(206)356-5149 		Everett, WA   98206   USA