[comp.sys.misc] Mac Xmodem ???

mm5l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Matthew Mashyna) (09/23/90)

Does anyone know the Mac Binary Xmodem protocol or where I can get specs ?
It seems to tack on creator and type attributes and, I think, does both
forks.

|Matt Mashyna        | "That is the most obscene abomination of a song...   |
|mm5l@andrew.cmu.edu | that is dirt, that is filth, that is trash. What     |
|Carnegie Mellon     | possessed you to write such a disgusting, degenerate |
|   Every day is     | type song as this ? ... And I'm complementing you by |
|         Earth Day. | considering it a song." - a critic                   |

peterdun@microsoft.UUCP (Peter DUNIHO) (09/29/90)

In article <Qaz2ML600WB7NZI0YC@andrew.cmu.edu>, mm5l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Matthew Mashyna) writes:
> Does anyone know the Mac Binary Xmodem protocol or where I can get specs ?
> It seems to tack on creator and type attributes and, I think, does both
> forks.
>

> |Matt Mashyna        | "That is the most obscene abomination of a song...   |
> |mm5l@andrew.cmu.edu | that is dirt, that is filth, that is trash. What     |

I'm pretty sure that the MacBinary (and MacBinary II) protocol is seperate
from the XModem protocol.  Certainly, you could write code to handle both
at the same time, but neither is dependent on the other.  Xmodem is for
ensure data integrity, whereas the MacBinary protocol deals with the
transmittal of Finder and Mac System-specific information.

The worst thing about this followup is that I don't have any useful
information on either and so you still don't have what you were looking
for.  Sorry!  I wish I could help more...

Pete D

WANCHO@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Frank J. Wancho") (09/29/90)

Macbinary is a format for data transfer using the "xmodem" file
transfer protocol.  The file transferred appears as an ordinary binary
file to the xmodem protocol machine.  However, the data contains the
information required in the embedded header for a receiving Macintosh
to separate its component forks on-the-fly.  Conversely, a sending
Macintosh constructs the header and assembles the component forks into
a single binary stream for the transfer.  Such a stream can be stored
on any intermediate machine as an ordinary 8-bit binary file using a
conventional xmodem file transfer program on the intermediate machine.

There are programs available for Unix and other systems to disassemble
the single stream file into its component forks and reassemble them as
well.  The source for these programs contain the comments to describe
the file structure.  See PD2:<UNIX-C.MACINTOSH> here for several such
files.

--Frank