[comp.sys.misc] i486 + i860

tph@cs.utexas.edu (Pow-Hwee Tan) (10/05/90)

  I just read about a new PC compatible board made by Hauppage Computer
Works, Inc. in BYTE's IBM Special.  This board distinguish itself from
the rest of the crowd by including a i860 as well, sharing address space,
and includes a 64-bit expansion bus.  Looks like a great board to build
a generic workstation on.  Can probably port minix or other stuff onto it.

  Anyway, I am more interested in the credibility of the company.
I seems to see the name Hauppage Computer Inc somewhere for some
products before, but just can't recall anything else about it.  Does
anyone has more info on this company?  What are the past products they
made?

  Thanks.

--
ph tan, CS Dept, UT Austin

zaft@nswses.navy.mil (Gordon C Zaft) (10/05/90)

In article <13210@cs.utexas.edu> tph@cs.utexas.edu (Pow-Hwee Tan) writes:

>  I just read about a new PC compatible board made by Hauppage Computer
>Works, Inc. in BYTE's IBM Special.  This board distinguish itself from
>the rest of the crowd by including a i860 as well, sharing address space,
>and includes a 64-bit expansion bus.  Looks like a great board to build
>a generic workstation on.  Can probably port minix or other stuff onto it.
>
>  Anyway, I am more interested in the credibility of the company.
>I seems to see the name Hauppage Computer Inc somewhere for some
>products before, but just can't recall anything else about it.  Does
>anyone has more info on this company?  What are the past products they
>made?

	Hauppage has been making 386 and 486 motherboards for a
comparatively long time (4 or 5 years, I believe) and is fairly
reputable (i.e., they're not a fly-by-night).

	Whether they're incredibly technically competent, I don't know.
Your mileage may vary.

--
+  Gordon Zaft                        |  zaft@suned1.nswses.navy.mil         +
+  NSWSES, Code 4Y33                  |  suned1!zaft@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov      +

alan@curly.Viewlogic.COM (Alan Medsker) (10/06/90)

They're a big motherboard outfit, I believe.  Actually, not that big,
but well known and respected, as far as I can tell.

Alan
Alan Medsker                                 Viewlogic Systems, Inc.
Voice: (508) 480-0881                        293 Boston Post Road West
Fax: (508) 480-0882                          Marlboro, MA  01752
Internet: amedsker@Viewlogic.COM
cc:Mail: Alan Medsker at Viewlogic
CI$: 76376,662
BIX: amedsker
2 Meters: WB0SQR
My opinions, of course.  And don't hold me to them.

jgd@rsiatl.UUCP (John G. DeArmond) (10/06/90)

tph@cs.utexas.edu (Pow-Hwee Tan) writes:

>  I just read about a new PC compatible board made by Hauppage Computer
>Works, Inc. in BYTE's IBM Special.  This board distinguish itself from
>the rest of the crowd by including a i860 as well, sharing address space,
>and includes a 64-bit expansion bus.  Looks like a great board to build
>a generic workstation on.  Can probably port minix or other stuff onto it.

>  Anyway, I am more interested in the credibility of the company.
>I seems to see the name Hauppage Computer Inc somewhere for some
>products before, but just can't recall anything else about it.  Does
>anyone has more info on this company?  What are the past products they
>made?

I saw this machine at Comdex this year.  The one on display had 4 I860s
and 64 mb of RAM and was rated at 100 MIPS, all in a package about the
size of a Compaq deskpro.  They had a little plexiglass window installed
in the case so you could look at the RAM.  I don't know why you'd want to
unless the chips might explode as the bit deficit goes negative after
extended number crunching :-) :-)

It is supposedly shipped with MACH as the operating system.  It was running
X so fast that, well, it just did not look like X!  :-)  I wanted one
REAL bad.

Hauppage has been around for a long time and as far as I can tell, is
reputable.  I think the machine is being made offshore, if that matters.
Looks like a hot box.

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC  | We can no more blame our loss of freedom on congress
Radiation Systems, Inc. | than we can prostitution on pimps.  Both simply