[comp.sys.misc] Video capability on the motherboard?

johnboyd@OCDIS01.AF.MIL (John Boyd;) (10/04/90)

I'm looking at a number of new 386 platforms; and in reading the plethora
of 'features', a question has come up regarding video capability.  Some of
the motherboards, and some of the complete systems I've seen advertised
indicate that the video capability, mostly VGA, is built into the
motherboard.  Epson and Leading Edge are among those I've seen touting this
'feature'.  This strikes me as an inherently bad idea, since, when the
standard changes (as standards normally do) doesn't this mean that either

1) I can't follow the new standard, or
2) I can upgrade, but overriding the on-board function is going to be a
bear!

Please enlighten me as to what the pluses/minuses are, or point out my
incorrect assumptions.  All positive input appreciated.

             johnboyd@ocdis01.af.mil
  "Preserve your memories...
    The rest ends up in a garage sale" -  Ferris Beuhler

Disclaimer - If I express an opinion, the Air Force will deny I know what
I'm talking about.

james@bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) (10/07/90)

In article <9010051821.AA03492@ocdis01.af.mil> johnboyd@OCDIS01.AF.MIL
	(John Boyd) writes:

> [...] some of the complete systems I've seen advertised indicate
> that the video capability, mostly VGA, is built into the motherboard.
> [...]  This strikes me as an inherently bad idea, since, when the
> standard changes (as standards normally do) doesn't this mean that
> either

> 1) I can't follow the new standard, or
> 2) I can upgrade, but overriding the on-board function is going to
> be a bear!

The Dell 325D/333D fall in the catagory of on-board video.  There is a
jumper on the motherboard (called EVGA from memory - I may be wrong)
with disables the video circuit.

The onboard video is quite fast and shouldn't become "obsolete" any
time soon.  It supports the "Super VGA" modes and such.  Most
potential next generation standards seem likely to be like either the
8514/A or TMS-34010 bsaed cards, where you need a VGA around anyway...
--
James R. Van Artsdalen          james@bigtex.cactus.org   "Live Free or Die"
Dell Computer Co    9505 Arboretum Blvd Austin TX 78759         512-338-8789