[comp.sys.misc] IBM PC-XT RAM Chips?

C08926RC@WUVMD.WUSTL.EDU (Rob Caton) (11/01/90)

I recently required a genuine IBM XT motherboard with 0k.  The date on the
BIOS chip is 1986 and elsewhere on the board it says 256 - 640k.  My question
is twofold:  can this board be populated with 640k using 256x1 and 64x1
chips, and if so, what are the proper dipswitch settings?

The reason I ask the list is because a local service tech told me that
all true IBM XT boards have 128k soldered on board and 3 empty banks
which used 128k piggyback chips to give a total of 512k.  He also said
that the board probably had 256 - 64k written on it instead of the above -
he didnt see the board.  The board I have has 4 empty banks and no soldered
memory.

Thanks for any help!

|==================================================================|
|        Rob Caton        |                      |  Disclaimer:    |
|   Programmer/Analyst    |  "I live with danger |     What?       |
|  Washington University  |   everyday, J. R.,   |   Me worry?     |
|-------------------------|   but occasionally I |-----------------|
|     C08926RC@WUVMD      |   leave her and go hunting."--GABI     |
|==================================================================|

v087mxgb@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Shawn E Thompson) (11/01/90)

>is twofold:  can this board be populated with 640k using 256x1 and 64x1
>chips, and if so, what are the proper dipswitch settings?
>|  Washington University  |   everyday, J. R.,   |   Me worry?     |
Quoting from IBM's 'Technical Reference Manual: Personal Computer XT and
Portable Personal Computer' (IBM manual #6322508);

" RAM

The system board also has from 128K by 9 to 256K by 9 of R/W memory. A
minimum system would have 128K of memeory, with module sockets for an
additional 128K. Memory greater than the system board's maximum of 256K
is obtained by adding memory cards in the expansion slots. The memory
consists of dynamic 64K by 1 chips with an access time of 200-ns and a cycle
time of 345-ns. All R/W memory is parity checked."

This manual refers the user to the 'Guide to Operations: Personal Computer XT"
for dipswitch settings, which consists of FIFTEEN pages of switch settings
(the eight switch block on the system board is as follows:

   switch #1 ALWAYS OFF!!
   switch #2 math coprocessor (yes or no)
   switch #3 & #4 on board RAM (off-on=128K,on-off=192K,off-off=256K)
                  system board must be fully populated before you can add
                  a memory expansion option.
   switch #5 & #6 graphics adaptor (off-on=CGA in 40x25 mode, on-off=CGA in
                  80x25 mode, off-off=monochrome, on-on=no display)
   switch #7 & #8 drives (on-on = 1 floppy, off-on=2 floppies)

The remainder of RAM options are set with switch blocks on the RAM
expansion cards (TWELVE pages of settings).

I use an Inboard and/or above board (depending on which system), and
have 1280K addressable RAM - works very well.

Shawn E. Thompson "..my sig file was so long, I'm not even allowed a quote..."
v087mxgb@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu | set@autarch.acsu.buffalo.edu
University @ Buffalo|Graduate School of Mechanical Engineering
CAD Engineering|Leica, Inc.|PO Box 123|Buffalo, NY 14240-0123|(716)891-3375

BEEBE@YALEMED.BITNET (Rick Beebe) (11/02/90)

>From: Rob Caton <C08926RC@WUVMD.Wustl.Edu>
>
>I recently required a genuine IBM XT motherboard with 0k.  The date on the
>BIOS chip is 1986 and elsewhere on the board it says 256 - 640k.  My question
>is twofold:  can this board be populated with 640k using 256x1 and 64x1
>chips, and if so, what are the proper dipswitch settings?

The answer is Yes and I don't know. Sorry. Near the end of their life, IBM
switched to a 640K motherboard for XT's. I myself have only seen one, and I'm
afraid I don't have any docs on them. Your service rep (who said all true IBM XT

boards have 256 - 64k written on them) has probably never seen one.

                                Rick Beebe                    (203) 785-4566
 *****  *****  *****  *   *     Biomedical Computing Unit
   *      *    *      **  *     Yale University School of Medicine
   *      *    ***    * * *     333 Cedar Street, New Haven, CT 06514
   *      *    *      *  **
   *      *    *      *   *     BEEBE@YALEMED.BITNET
                                beebe%biomed.decnet@venus.ycc.yale.edu

wbonner@eecs.wsu.edu (Wim Bonner) (11/02/90)

In article <9011010808.AA05178@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> C08926RC@WUVMD.WUSTL.EDU (Rob Caton) writes:
>I recently required a genuine IBM XT motherboard with 0k.  The date on the
>BIOS chip is 1986 and elsewhere on the board it says 256 - 640k.  My question
>is twofold:  can this board be populated with 640k using 256x1 and 64x1
>chips, and if so, what are the proper dipswitch settings?

You should be able to populate bank 0 and 1 with 256k chips, and do the next
two rows with 64k chips. If you set the switches on the MB to indicate 256k
the rom will automaticly count up to 640k.

Wim.
--
wbonner@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu
27313853@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu