[comp.sys.misc] INFO-MICRO Digest V90 #79

BEEBE@YALEMED.BITNET (Rick Beebe) (12/18/90)

poulin@polar.bowdoin.edu (Jeff Poulin) writes:

>Here's a dumb little question that I'm not sure of the answer.  Which
>direction should the fan be blowing: into the power supply or out of it?
>My computer came configured with the fan blowing in (presumably to keep
>the stuff in the power supply cool), but I noticed the cards become quite
>warm and one of the hard drives starts sounding like a car going 40mph in
>first gear if I leave the computer on for more than 12 hours.  Otherwise
>it seems to be fine and the hard drive is fairly quiet.  Any takers?

Well, on the three I checked here (IBM, Zenith and CompuAdd) the fan is blowing
out. It seems to make more sense that the fan would draw air in in from the
(usual) vents in the front of the case, across the cards to keep them cool, and
then into the supply (to keep it fairly cool) and then out.

                                Rick Beebe                    (203) 785-4566
 *****  *****  *****  *   *     Biomedical Computing Unit
   *      *    *      **  *     Yale University School of Medicine
   *      *    ***    * * *     333 Cedar Street, New Haven, CT 06514
   *      *    *      *  **
   *      *    *      *   *     BEEBE@YALEMED.BITNET
                                beebe%biomed.decnet@venus.ycc.yale.edu

lenh@isc-br.ISC-BR.COM (Len Humbird) (12/23/90)

In article <EAC2CC1E38FF00147D@Venus.YCC.Yale.Edu> BEEBE@YALEMED.BITNET (Rick Beebe) writes:
>Well, on the three I checked here (IBM, Zenith and CompuAdd) the fan is blowing
>out.

However, if you want to keep your innards dust free, make sure there's
some sort of air filter on the intake holes.  (Most hardware stores
will sell you the thin stuff that won't affect air flow too badly.)
--
Len Humbird          | internet:  lenh@isc-br.com       | Phone:  509 927-5600
Technical  Writer    | uunet:     uucp!isc-br!lenh      | by land: Box TAF-C8

roger@wrq.com (Roger Fulton) (12/29/90)

In article <EAC2CC1E38FF00147D@Venus.YCC.Yale.Edu> BEEBE@YALEMED.BITNET (Rick Beebe) writes:

>Well, on the three I checked here (IBM, Zenith and CompuAdd) the fan is blowing
>out. It seems to make more sense that the fan would draw air in in from the
>(usual) vents in the front of the case, across the cards to keep them cool, and
>then into the supply (to keep it fairly cool) and then out.

My old Zenith ZW-241 came with the fan blowing from the power supply, across
the cards, and out the front.  I thought it made more sense to keep the cards
rather than the power supply as cool as possible, so I reversed the fan.  I
am the original owner of this computer, and I've had no problems with it (I'm
using it to write this).

Roger Fulton
roger@wrq.com