[comp.sys.misc] Small Computer Book Club

max@lgc.lgc.com (Max Heffler) (01/09/91)

In article <910108211833.895772@SYSTEM-M.PHX.BULL.COM> DBarker@SYSTEM-M.PHX.BULL.COM (Deryk Barker) writes:
>Anyone out there any experience with this bunch?  Any comments pro or
>con?

I am a member of the Small Computer Book Club, as well as the Library of
Computer and Information Sciences Book Club.  Both of these book clubs are
divisions of Newbridge Communications.  They used to be part of the MacMillan
book clubs until the employees formed Newbridge.  Each of these book clubs
has strengths and weaknesses.  I usually get about a book every two months from
Library of Comp and Info Sci and almost never get any from the Small Computer
Book Club.  This is mostly because of my current interests vs the books offered.
I have most of want I want relating to Small Comuters and the new books are not
that interesting to me.  I have most of the books I want from the Lib of Comp &
Info Sci; however, every month or two, the new titles appeal to me.  Each book
bought from either club counts toward 1 or 2 of 4 credits needed for the next
bonus book coupon, which is a substantial savings.  Getting new members to join
get you coupons for free books.  I have been highly satisfied with LCIS and
might drop Small Computer if I go much longer with no interest in their
offerings...
--
Max Heffler			internet: max@lgc.com
Landmark Graphics Corp.		uucp: ..!uunet!lgc!max

matth@progress.COM (Matthew J. Harper) (01/10/91)

DBarker@SYSTEM-M.PHX.BULL.COM (Deryk Barker) writes:

>Anyone out there any experience with this bunch?  Any comments pro or
>con?

I was a member for a while.  I had a great deal to join and get 4 books free.  I
bought a couple of more and then decided to stop, since I was not using what I
had.  I found them to be a very professional group; never had any trouble,
and that includes moving around a few times.

Their prices are reasonable, and they had a few books I did not see anywhere
else.

have fun!

Matt
--
Matthew J. Harper                   UUCP: mit-eddie!progress!matth
Progress Software Corp.		    Internet: matth@progress.com