[comp.sys.misc] Stuff

mccool@dgp.toronto.edu (Michael McCool) (01/27/91)

I am the proud inheritor of a Model 100 TRS-80, which I want to
use as a terminal, note taker, and portable thesis writer.  However,
the memory on the beast is a little limited.  What I am looking for:

1. Memory expansion.  If anyone has a bank-switching memory they
   would be willing to sell, I will buy it.  I want something that
   fits inside the compartment on the bottom of the TRS-80 and
   gives me a total of 128K or so in multiple spaces.  I would
   espcially like one that has a ROM that allows copying, etc.
   between banks from the function keys.

2. ROMS, especially those with GOOD telecom programs.  A terminal
   emulator would be really nice.

3. A modem, 2400 baud will be fine, for cheap.  Out there, I know,
   are people who have gone out and bought a 9600 or 19k modem
   and have your old 2400 laying around collecting dust.  I'll
   take it off your hands for you.

4. A modem cable (you know, the one RS wants $20 for.
   I haven't been able to find the connector, it has a strange
   U configuration).

I am not willing to pay a great deal for these.  For (1) I will pay
about $100 plus or minus, depending on the model and ROM
support.  For (3) I will pay 50-100 dollars, depending on the model.
For (4), $5.

This is all ``obsolete'' technology, I know, but good for my purposes.

michael mccool@dgp.toronto.edu

fzsitvay@techbook.com (Frank Zsitvay) (01/29/91)

In article <1991Jan26.232233.14452@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> mccool@dgp.toronto.edu (Michael McCool) writes:

>I am the proud inheritor of a Model 100 TRS-80, which I want to
>use as a terminal, note taker, and portable thesis writer.  However,
>the memory on the beast is a little limited.  What I am looking for:
>
>1. Memory expansion.  If anyone has a bank-switching memory they
>   would be willing to sell, I will buy it.  I want something that
>   fits inside the compartment on the bottom of the TRS-80 and
>   gives me a total of 128K or so in multiple spaces.  I would
>   espcially like one that has a ROM that allows copying, etc.
>   between banks from the function keys.

  well, i have some bad news for you.  although there was (and perhaps
still is a product that does just that, you have to realize that it
was not a cheap shunk of hardware (like $300) and it did not do good things
for your battery life.  the model 100 is the kind of machine that if you need
more than it has, then you had better find yourself another machine.

>2. ROMS, especially those with GOOD telecom programs.  A terminal
>   emulator would be really nice.
  there's not really a whole lot you can do with terminal emulation
on a 40 column by 8 line screen.

>3. A modem, 2400 baud will be fine, for cheap.  Out there, I know,
>   are people who have gone out and bought a 9600 or 19k modem
>   and have your old 2400 laying around collecting dust.  I'll
>   take it off your hands for you.

  well, some more bad news.  a 2400 baud modem on the model 100 is
kinda useless, mainly because even at 300 baud you need to configure
the remote system for 3 to 5 nulls after every carriage return.  the
lcd in the model 100 just can't keep up with anything faster.

>4. A modem cable (you know, the one RS wants $20 for.
>   I haven't been able to find the connector, it has a strange
>   U configuration).

  you might get lucky on this one, but if you want an external modem
then why would you want this cable??  the serial port uses a standard
pre-ibm db25 connector.

>I am not willing to pay a great deal for these.  For (1) I will pay
>about $100 plus or minus, depending on the model and ROM
>support.  For (3) I will pay 50-100 dollars, depending on the model.
>For (4), $5.
>
>This is all ``obsolete'' technology, I know, but good for my purposes.

  gee, sounds like you want the world...

   but really now, you might want to re-evaluate your needs and see if a model
100 is worth the bother.  the reason why those of us who use them do just fine
is because we manage to limit the amount of stuff we have on the machine
and off-load it eften enough to our desktop machines.  (i use the serial
port and a null modem cable, and the built in telcom software.  on my pc
i use procomm and run the connection at top speed.  takes just a few minutes
to transfer over the entire contents of the 100 to my AT for further
mutilation.)

   although you theoretically could use the model 100 as a terminal to
a larger machine, you probably wouldn't want to do this for very long.
although the keyboard is full size, things are crowded together.  the screen
is rather small and quite slow.  i would find it hard to use rn from a model
100 terminal.

   the model 100 is far from being obsolete.  for the purpose that it was
designed for, it works great.  i have yet to see another machine like it.
trying to use the machine for a job larger than it was designed to do is
the best way to learn to hate the machine.  take my word for it.

   if you need a larger machine, consider trading your 100 for a 200.
you lose some of the model 100's compatibility (what compatibility??)
but you gain a 72k work area, a screen twice the size, and all in
a machine that is nearly as compact.  you might have to add a little
cash to get someone to trade, but it would be cheaper than trying to
get more memory for the 100, and you'd have a larger screen too.

   but bear in mind, telecommunications from either machine is not
going to be a pleasant experience.  just learn to live with 300 baud
and a slow disply and you'll do fine.

--
fzsitvay@techbook.COM - but don't quote me on that....

American Oil Company motto - Bend over, We'll pump!!!

morpheus@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Dream of the Endless) (02/01/91)

fzsitvay@techbook.com (Frank Zsitvay) writes:
>   if you need a larger machine, consider trading your 100 for a 200.
>you lose some of the model 100's compatibility (what compatibility??)
>but you gain a 72k work area, a screen twice the size, and all in
>a machine that is nearly as compact.

72k work area?  Really, is that so?  Like I said a week or so ago, I
just got a 200, with no manuals, whatever.  I've only got about 18k
to work with...what's up?

				--Morpheus (wishing he could find a manual)