[comp.sys.misc] Auspex NS5000 -- making boot disk

inoue@optsei.rinfo.sumiden.co.jp (02/18/91)

I am using Auspex NS5000 (modified SunOS 4.0.3) as a file server.

The system disk is something wrong, so I would install a new disk
for a boot device.

I have restored old dump of root and usr partitions to the new disk.

New disk is /dev/ad3[ag].

  1. set the dumped tape to the drive
  2. newfs the root (/dev/rad3a) and usr (/dev/rad3g) filesystems
  3. restore the filesystems to above devices
  4. at the ROM monitor, boot from a new disk

types:
  >b ad(3,0,0)vmunix

BUT,

 Boot: ad(3,0,0)vmunix
 boot-block startup failed

So, cannot boot from the new disk.

How can I install the new boot filesystem ?

--
        Hiroyuki INOUE  (inoue%rinfo.sumiden.co.jp@uunet.uu.net )
        Computer & Information Systems R&D Department

inoue@optsei.rinfo.sumiden.co.jp (Hiroyuki INOUE) (02/19/91)

In article <8601@optsei.rinfo.sumiden.co.jp>
	 inoue@optsei.rinfo.sumiden.co.jp writes:
>I am using Auspex NS5000 (modified SunOS 4.0.3) as a file server.
>
>The system disk is something wrong, so I would install a new disk
>for a boot device.

I've resolved above problem.

By installboot command on SunOS, a boot disk has been made.

  # cd /usr/mdec
  # installboot -vlt /boot bootad /dev/rad0a

Thank you for your suggestions.