[comp.sys.misc] Antique Computer Question

U40213@uicvm.uic.edu (Matthew Thomas Mead, Esq.) (02/09/91)

Hello,
 An acquaintance of mine's father got a great deal on a Sanyo MBC 555
computer.  Has anyone heard of this computer.  If so what is the operating
system, and what are it's capabilities.
Thanks in Advance
Matthew Thomas Mead, Esq.

jnelson@plains.NoDak.edu (Jim Nelson) (02/16/91)

In article <91039.201149U40213@uicvm.uic.edu> U40213@uicvm.uic.edu (Matthew Thomas Mead, Esq.) writes:
>Hello,
> An acquaintance of mine's father got a great deal on a Sanyo MBC 555
>computer.

How much did they pay him to take it away?  :)

            Has anyone heard of this computer.  If so what is the operating
>system, and what are it's capabilities.

Can you say "sort of MS-DOS, but not really"?  My uncle has a 550, by Sanyo.
It seem that the poor machine is limited to 512k, and only has a couple bus
slots.  It didn't seem to like hardrives allthat much, although the hard
drive in my uncles machine was of questionable relyability.  The 555 is a
tiny bit better.  But only a tiny bit.

IMHO, it's a reasonable boat anchor, if you fill it with cement.  Sanyo
should have stuck to making stereos.

--
.sig?  What .sig?  Ohhhh, *THIS* .sig.

	Jim, in the Land of the Lost.
disclaimer:  These are just opinions.  If you want 'em, you can have 'em.

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (02/19/91)

jnelson@plains.NoDak.edu (Jim Nelson) writes:

>In article <91039.201149U40213@uicvm.uic.edu> U40213@uicvm.uic.edu (Matthew Thomas Mead, Esq.) writes:
>>Hello,
>> An acquaintance of mine's father got a great deal on a Sanyo MBC 555
>>computer.

>How much did they pay him to take it away?  :)

>            Has anyone heard of this computer.  If so what is the operating
>>system, and what are it's capabilities.

>Can you say "sort of MS-DOS, but not really"?  My uncle has a 550, by Sanyo.
>It seem that the poor machine is limited to 512k, and only has a couple bus
>slots.  It didn't seem to like hardrives allthat much, although the hard
>drive in my uncles machine was of questionable relyability.  The 555 is a
>tiny bit better.  But only a tiny bit.

>IMHO, it's a reasonable boat anchor, if you fill it with cement.  Sanyo
>should have stuck to making stereos.

Agreed. However, in a slightly more helpful vein:

It runs MSDOS, but it may have to be "Sanyo MSDOS."  In the olden days,
it would run Turbo-Pascal, as long as TP was configured for "MSDOS" and
not for "IBM/PC."  The major bugaboo I encountered with this machine
was that its screen I/O was BIOS compatible with the PC, but NOT
hardware compatible.  I wrote a pretty fair sized application on
it that did all its I/O via INT 10H, instead of direct screen writes.
It ran a little slow, but was entirely usable.  Try booting
generic MSDOS (not PCDOS).  If that fails, you'll have to locate a copy
of Sanyo MSDOS.  You may have to use an OLD copy of Turbo Pascal to program
it, because I think that all modern software products assume hardware
compatibility.

--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Dun and Bradstreet Software, Inc (404) 239-2347
{emory,gatech}!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

Look closely at the return address.  It is nanovx and NOT nanovAx.