[comp.sys.misc] Ohio Scientific

george@endeavor.intel.com (George L. Rachor Jr.) (05/22/91)

It seems I am going down nostalga lane here (and please don't take offense
that I posted in the wrong newsgroup) but I am looking at firing up my
old c2-4p and wondered if any of you had this machine in your closet.

Any of you still running an OSI system.  In this day and age is there
a good use (be kind) for this old hardware.  Seems like with a software
/firmware upgrade we could be in business with these with very little
effort.  Always had illusions of my system (no disk drive) running my
train layout.  Of course I'm now thinking my Commodore Pet or Apple ][ plus
may do the job.  (Actually at the rate I'm going Neither my wife's Mac
or my xenix system will get to run the train.)

How about it C1,C2,C4,C8 owners?

                      ^ I drooled over this one!

--

George Rachor Jr.
Intel Corporation

cozza@cshl.org (Steven Cozza) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May21.210947.23057@endeavor.intel.com> george@endeavor.intel.com (George L. Rachor Jr.) writes:
>It seems I am going down nostalga lane here (and please don't take offense
>that I posted in the wrong newsgroup) but I am looking at firing up my
>old c2-4p and wondered if any of you had this machine in your closet.

You are waxing nostalgic, I haven't turned on my C4P in years, many years!
Not just because its whopping 8K of memory got fired one day down to just
256 bytes, but because it seemed to die a quick death with the introduction
of the Atari 400. I don't even have any software for it anymore, and I used to
write games, and disassemblers for it.  It really was a nice machine.

Steven Cozza
Internet:	cozza@cshl.org
US Mail:	Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
		Box 100
		1 Bungtown Road
		Cold Spring Harbor
		New York, 11724

tmkk@uiuc.edu (K. Khan) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May21.210947.23057@endeavor.intel.com> george@endeavor.intel.com (George L. Rachor Jr.) writes:

>Any of you still running an OSI system.

No way! ;-) I can barely stand to run my old Atari 800XL, much less the OSI
C1P I used to use...

>In this day and age is there
>a good use (be kind) for this old hardware.  Seems like with a software
>/firmware upgrade we could be in business with these with very little
>effort.  Always had illusions of my system (no disk drive) running my
>train layout.

It might make a reasonable home control system... But then again, when
something breaks down, there'll be no way to fix it unless you do such
things yourself. :-(

rwelch@isis.cs.du.edu (Randy S. Welch) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May22.202435.24605@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> tmkk@uiuc.edu (K. Khan) writes:

   >Any of you still running an OSI system.

   No way! ;-) I can barely stand to run my old Atari 800XL, much less the OSI
   C1P I used to use...

I cut my computing teeth on OSI Equipment.  I *think* a few of the customers
I used to do work for *still* use the system's to this day.  I spent time
on the C2's and C3's running OS-65U.  For awhile my partner and I had the
only source to Level 3 (time sharing) (dissasembled it... )( time sharing
).

For it's day it was a decent system.

   >In this day and age is there
   >a good use (be kind) for this old hardware.  Seems like with a software
   >/firmware upgrade we could be in business with these with very little
   >effort.  Always had illusions of my system (no disk drive) running my
   >train layout.

   It might make a reasonable home control system... But then again, when
   something breaks down, there'll be no way to fix it unless you do such
   things yourself. :-(

OSI did offer did offer an X-10 hardware/software combo in the early days.

Have fun!

-randy
--
Randy Welch   Mail to :  randy@bldr.UUCP or rwelch@isis.uucp or
Boulder, CO              rwelch@isis.cs.du.edu or (303) 442-6717

carroll@ssc-vax (Jeff Carroll) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May21.210947.23057@endeavor.intel.com> george@endeavor.intel.com (George L. Rachor Jr.) writes:
>Any of you still running an OSI system.  In this day and age is there
>a good use (be kind) for this old hardware.  Seems like with a software
>/firmware upgrade we could be in business with these with very little
>effort.

	Within the last two years I've received marketing blurbs from
somebody marketing multiuser systems under the Ohio Scientific name. Seems
as though this was another outfit that had licensed the name, though.

	Support for the old boxes would almost be too much to hope for...

--
Jeff Carroll		carroll@ssc-vax.boeing.com

"...and of their daughters it is written, 'Cursed be he who lies with
any manner of animal.'" - Talmud

rwelch@isis.cs.du.edu (Randy S. Welch) (05/26/91)

In article <4028@ssc-bee.ssc-vax.UUCP> carroll@ssc-vax (Jeff Carroll) writes:

	   Within the last two years I've received marketing blurbs from
   somebody marketing multiuser systems under the Ohio Scientific name. Seems
   as though this was another outfit that had licensed the name, though.

	   Support for the old boxes would almost be too much to hope for...

I saw something in Byte several years ago with the Ohio Scientific name
attached to it ( What's New Section ) and the address fit.  I think they
went to a unix based platform, (88K,32XXX??).  When I was no longer
associated with OSI equipment they were moving away from the 6502
platforms to Z80 platforms to take advantage of CP/M, but then the PC came
along...

-randy
--

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (06/05/91)

In article <RWELCH.91May22230850@isis.isis.cs.du.edu> rwelch@isis.cs.du.edu (Randy S. Welch) writes:
>For it's day it was a decent system.

Are we talking about the same machines here? I used OSI Challanger systems of
various flavors for three years, and they were just plain junk. Far inferior
to the systems you could get from Altair, Imsai, Processor Tech, or SWTPC at
the time of the C1P, and to the Northstar and Cromemco systems in the days of
the C4. Poor design, poor software, poor manufacturing. And I *liked* the 6502
processor.

<csg>

rwelch@isis.cs.du.edu (Randy S. Welch) (06/05/91)

In article <eric.676167523@zen.maths.uts.edu.au> eric@zen.maths.uts.edu.au (Eric Lindsay) writes:

  >In article <RWELCH.91May22230850@isis.isis.cs.du.edu> rwelch@isis.cs.du.edu (Randy S. Welch) writes:
  >>For it's day it was a decent system.

 >Are we talking about the same machines here? I used OSI Challanger systems of
 >various flavors for three years, and they were just plain junk. Far inferior
 >to the systems you could get from Altair, Imsai, Processor Tech, or SWTPC at
 >the time of the C1P, and to the Northstar and Cromemco systems in the days of
 >the C4. Poor design, poor software, poor manufacturing. And I *liked* the 6502
  >processor.
  ><csg>

  As I recall, the C1P was round $200-$300, at a time when everyone else was
  two or three times that cost.  That made up for a lot of strange design
  ideas, and lousy software.

I never had fortune/misfortune to use the C1 family of machines or the
'personal' machines running OS-65D. I spent most of my time working on
the C3 machines with hard-disks running OS-65U.  Granted 65U had it's
quirks until 1.3/1.4 of the 'OS', it wasn't bad.  Perhaps I was lucky and
we had a good hardware/systems person to take care of things like that.

What I was mentioning in regards to not a bad system was what you got for
the buck at the time.  Not too many machines did time sharaing ( Cromemco
and SWTPC come to mind ) at that time and when most machine were offering
a 5 or 10 M hard disk you could get from 20-140M on the OSI.  Not to
mention the 6502 at 2Mhz could keep up and sometimes beat a 4Mhz Z80 or
even a 8088 you could live with the quirks... :-)

-randy

--
Randy Welch   Mail to :  randy@bldr.UUCP or rwelch@isis.uucp or
Boulder, CO              rwelch@isis.cs.du.edu or (303) 442-6717

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (06/06/91)

Funny...  I remember the Ohio Scientific C1P as quite a powerful little
computer for its day.  In a time of KIM-1s, AIM-65s and Commodore PETs,
the OSI systems offered a great many features for an extremely reasonable
price..

It was the first to offer an integrated single board computer with MicroSoft
BASIC in ROM, a memory mapped video output and a fairly nice keyboard, all
built into the basic system.

The software started out fairly crudely (I should know, I wrote a bunch of
it..!  :), but toward the end of its life, the software had improved greatly.

The main problem with OSI computers, as I saw it, was the company behind
the hardware.  They didn't keep up with advances in technology, and didn't
improve the hardware to compete with new entries into the marketplace like
the Apple II and TRS-80.  If they'd moved more quickly to improve their
color and sound, and gotten their disk systems into a more reasonable price
range, things might have turned out differently in the microcomputer
marketplace.. as it was, they vanished quietly in the night...

BobR

tmkk@uiuc.edu (K. Khan) (06/06/91)

In article <157796@pyramid.pyramid.com> csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
>In article <RWELCH.91May22230850@isis.isis.cs.du.edu> rwelch@isis.cs.du.edu (Randy S. Welch) writes:
>>For it's day it was a decent system.
>
>Are we talking about the same machines here? I used OSI Challanger systems of
>various flavors for three years, and they were just plain junk. Far inferior
>to the systems you could get from Altair, Imsai, Processor Tech, or SWTPC at
>the time of the C1P,

Hmm... The C1P and its caseless cousing the SuperBoard were just about
the cheapest computers on the market at the time. The only things
cheaper were those Ace computer kits which had 2K of RAM and a membrane
keyboard with far too few keys and no expandability. The IMSAI may have
been a better machine, but it cost a heck of a lot more, too. My C1P was
fine as a "first" computer for a high school kid.

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (06/06/91)

>Hmm... The C1P and its caseless cousing the SuperBoard were just about
>the cheapest computers on the market at the time. The only things
>cheaper were those Ace computer kits which had 2K of RAM and a membrane
>keyboard with far too few keys and no expandability.

The AIM-65 was available at the same time; as a first computer for a high-
school kid I think it would have been superior.

<csg>

tmkk@uiuc.edu (K. Khan) (06/07/91)

In article <158318@pyramid.pyramid.com> csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
>>Hmm... The C1P and its caseless cousing the SuperBoard were just about
>>the cheapest computers on the market at the time.
>
>The AIM-65 was available at the same time; as a first computer for a high-
>school kid I think it would have been superior.

That depends - the AIM seemed more like a bare-bones kit than a
full-fledged computer. Did the AIM have BASIC in ROM? From the ads I
remember, it looked like a big breadboard with a hex keypad and some
7-segment LED displays. Could you hook a terminal up to it?

Mu impression of the AIM was that it was aimed more toward the nuts and
volts EE hardware-oriented type, not the more software-oriented type. Of
course, I wouldn't mind having am AIM65 *now* to play with, but as a
first computer it might have been a bit too much.

fzsitvay@techbook.com (Frank Zsitvay) (06/07/91)

In article <158318@pyramid.pyramid.com> csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
>>Hmm... The C1P and its caseless cousing the SuperBoard were just about
>>the cheapest computers on the market at the time. The only things
>>cheaper were those Ace computer kits which had 2K of RAM and a membrane
>>keyboard with far too few keys and no expandability.
>
>The AIM-65 was available at the same time; as a first computer for a high-
>school kid I think it would have been superior.
>
><csg>

  i don't really think the aim-65 would be much better, and at any rate
cost a lot more than the osi did for the same capabilities.

  contrary to what some people here think, the osi was one of the better
computers at the time, especially when you look at price/performance or
bang/buck ratios.  the memory map was a bit screwy, the molex pins on the
backplane would get dirty from time to time, and the operating system was
extremely strange, but overall it still was not a bad little machine.

  my C2-8p still works 14 years after it was built.  a whopping 48k RAM
and its single 8 inch disk drive.  (that disk system it had was very
fast, since it essentially did track buffering.)

  the c1p was, by comparison, a joke.  however, it was perhaps the cheapest
thing around until the sinclairs showed up.

  (by the by, it doesn't take much to upgrade a c1p into the equivalent
of a c2 or c4.  also, a lot of c1p systems found there way into process
control applications.  you basically had a microcontroller with BASIC
and a keyboard for $200-$300.  not bad for late-seventies/early 80s.)

--
fzsitvay@techbook.COM - but don't quote me on that....

  No wonder I can't hold a regular sleeping schedule.  My subconcious mind
knows we are only one well-placed bullet from having Quayle as president.

andy@research.canon.oz.au (Andy Newman) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun6.204920.14030@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> tmkk@uiuc.edu (K. Khan) writes:
>That depends - the AIM seemed more like a bare-bones kit than a
>full-fledged computer. Did the AIM have BASIC in ROM? From the ads I
>remember, it looked like a big breadboard with a hex keypad and some
>7-segment LED displays. Could you hook a terminal up to it?

The AIM-65 was the first microprocessor system I got my hands on.
It had a monitor with a single line assembler/disassembler and
BASIC in ROM (this was an option). The display was one line of 20
characters using 16-segment LEDS and it had a thermal printer.
No keypad on the AIM, it had a real keyboard. Are you thinking
about the KIM-1?

>Mu impression of the AIM was that it was aimed more toward the nuts and
>volts EE hardware-oriented type, not the more software-oriented type. Of
>course, I wouldn't mind having am AIM65 *now* to play with, but as a
>first computer it might have been a bit too much.

This definitely seemed to be the case. A fun machine (but downright ugly!).
--
Andy Newman (andy@research.canon.oz.au)

bob@reed.UUCP (Bob Ankeney) (06/11/91)

     Until a few years ago, a friend and I were involved in multi-processing
OSI's.  We put together what was called the Portland Board, which gave each
user a 4 MHz 6502 with 64K of RAM.  They run under the OS-65U operating system.
Actually, we still sell a few now and again.  We supplied them to OSI to sell,
and after they went away, we carried the line.  This kind of developed after
my company, Generic Computer Products, which made a memory/disk controller/
real-time-clock/parallel printer port board and a graphics board based on
the TI-9918 chip.  I thought the OSI was a pretty neat machine.  I wrote an
assembly-language development system for it called Generos (Generic Operating
System), which was kind of like DEC RT-11.  It had a disk-based relocating
assembler, and a full implementation of TECO as the main text editor!  Ahh,
those were the good old days...

	Bob Ankeney
	...!tektronix!bob@reed.edu