[comp.sys.nsc.32k] 32036 ???

doon@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Harry W. Reed) (11/09/86)

Hi,
	While reading my latest copy of UNIX REVIEW I saw an add for a
UNIX box that boasted a 32036 NSC CPU. It may be a typo but does anybody
out there know anything about this possibly mythical 32036?

	Cheers,
	Harry Reed
	...!sdcrdcf!doon

mb@ttidca.UUCP (Michael Bloom) (11/10/86)

In article <3413@sdcrdcf.UUCP> doon@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Harry W. Reed) writes:

>	While reading my latest copy of UNIX REVIEW I saw an add for a
>UNIX box that boasted a 32036 NSC CPU. It may be a typo but does anybody

In the same ad they also claim "code compatibility with the vax".  Is this
just ad hype for "source code compatibility"? Or are they talking about
binary compatibility, which would imply a custom masked chip?

- Michael Bloom

nerd@percival.UUCP (Michael Galassi) (11/15/86)

In article <3413@sdcrdcf.UUCP> doon@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Harry W. Reed) writes:
>	While reading my latest copy of UNIX REVIEW I saw an add for a
>UNIX box that boasted a 32036 NSC CPU. It may be a typo but does anybody
>out there know anything about this possibly mythical 32036?

It must have been the same article I read.  If I am not incorect they then
went on to claim software compatibility with the vax which at the time
sounded to me like binary compatibility.  I tried to call the number listed
up for more details but got no answer.  If anyone out there has any info,
I would very much apreicate hearing from you.
--
Help the fight to stomp out cross-posting...

	Michael Galassi, Frye Electronics, Tigard, OR
	..!{ucbvax,ihnp4,seismo}!tektronix!reed!percival!nerd

taras@utcs.UUCP (11/16/86)

I have the latest documentation from National and I do not remember
anything in there being mentioned about a new processor with the numerical
representation of 32036.  Besides what would it do, interally it would have
32 bit data paths and externally 36 bits.  What logic would dictate an
architecture like that?

Some of the valid cpu numbers from National are:

	32016 formerly 16032, 16 bit external
	32c016 cmos version of above
	32008 8 bit external
	32032 first generation 32 bit external, 24 bit addressing
	32132 multiprocessor version of above
	32332 second generation 32 bit external, 32 bit addressing
	      and still faster
	32532 third generation of above, rumoured to had an on board MMU
	32732 ????????

I hope that should help.  If I am wrong with this information, please
correct.  If anyone has any info on the 32532 and what it has on board
please inform.
--

			 	Taras Pryjma
				uucp: taras@utcs.uucp

DO NOT WASH:  This vehicle part of scientific dirt experiment!

dmk@lanl.ARPA (David Keaton) (11/18/86)

In article <1986Nov15.214631.13091@utcs.uucp> taras@utcs.UUCP (T. Pryjma) writes:
>Besides what would it do, interally it would have
>32 bit data paths and externally 36 bits.  What logic would dictate an
>architecture like that?

How about a tagged architecture?
--
                                   David Keaton
                                   Los Alamos National Laboratory

shap@sfsup.UUCP (J.S.Shapiro) (11/25/86)

They may have meant 32032 or 32132 or 32532, all of which are members (if I
remember the numbers right) of the NSC processor family. These are not
binary compatible with the VAX, but the architecture is essentially very
similar.