[comp.sys.nsc.32k] 32xxxx Boards from National

milo@ndmath.UUCP (04/11/87)

Lately I have seen a number of postings and adds in magazines about some 32xxx
based boards and PC-add-in's from National Semi.

If anybody at national is listening I would like to get some information on
these products, basically I am interested in anything that I can run Unix on.

I'd like to hear from anyone else who has messed with the various add-in and
prototyping cards offered by National also.

I'm particularly interested in the board that everyone has been talking about
which you are supposed to be able to build a complete Unix system around...
also the recently advertised PC-AT add-in board.

Greg Corson
19141 Summers Drive
South Bend, IN 46637
(219) 277-5306 (weekdays till 6:30 central time)

defron@lime.UUCP (04/15/87)

In article <207@ndmath.UUCP> milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) writes:
>Lately I have seen a number of postings and adds in magazines about some 32xxx
>based boards and PC-add-in's from National Semi.
>
>I'd like to hear from anyone else who has messed with the various add-in and
>prototyping cards offered by National also.
>
>I'm particularly interested in the board that everyone has been talking about
>which you are supposed to be able to build a complete Unix system around...
>also the recently advertised PC-AT add-in board.

The PD32 Users Group has been supporting a mostly public domain (no flames on
public domain legalities please) 32016 based UNIX board.  Basically the board
plugs into an PC bus.  It has 2M of memory and the 10Mhz chip set (CPU, MMU,
FPU, TCU, ICU).  The board uses a four layer design.  The PAL and PROM code
is available as well as schematics and artwork.  The board runs UNIX SV.2, will
soon run SV.3.

The price for a full wave soldered kit (all parts, including RAM) is about
$850.  This includes 33 PC disks full of UNIX software (kernel, utilities and
languages).

There are several manufacturers who are selling boards derived directly from
the PD32.  I believe that National may ultimately offer such a board.  For
more information contact me:

      Daniel Efron
      PD32 Users Group
      8910 Westmoreland Lane