[comp.sys.nsc.32k] Os9

blarson@castor.usc.edu.UUCP (06/10/87)

In article <815@instable.UUCP> amos%nsta@nsc.com (Amos Shapir) writes:
>In article <266@udcps1.UUCP> brian@udcps1.UUCP (Brian R. Haug) writes:
>>                  LET'S WRITE AN OPERATING SYSTEM!
>
>Such an operating system already exists - it's called OS-9; it was
>written originally for 6800, and now is running on 680x0, but by the
>descriptions I have heard, it could only benefit from the added features
>of the 32k.

Os9 is for the 6809 (not 6800) and 68000 series (68010, 68020)
processors.  A port to the NS 32k series is possible, but what
advantage does the 32332 have over the 68020 that would make it worth
the effort?  (The kernal is in assembler.)

Before you worry about it to much about it, you should probably
contact microware.  (The company that wrote and sells os9.) At one
time, the address sun!mcrware!mcrware was their general inquiry net
address.

Of course, you could just write an os9-like operating system.  Os9's
main differnce from the pack of unix-clone os's is it has some real
inovations rather than being a subset of unix.  Os9 isn't perfect, and
is still missing some of the nice utilities normally associated with
unix.
--
Bob Larson
Arpa: Blarson@Usc-Ecl.Arpa