[comp.sys.nsc.32k] NS32000

njh@root44.UUCP (06/11/87)

>Compupro produced an S-100 board known as the CPU-32016,  using a
>32016  processor.   It has been stated that these boards  can  go
>10MHz.

And it runs Unix. I know - 'cos we ported it for them, but
we haven't heard anything from them for a long time - we think they
aren't around any more.

>The only operating system that everyone agrees to be available is
>Unix,  and not cheap,  and no source or configurability.   But it
>comes with everything in the world.

Source may be ddifficult from some people, but configurability
should be on them all, if it ain't *moan*!
Nigel Horne, Divisional Director, Root Technical Systems.
<njh@root.co.uk>	G1ITH	Fax:	(01) 726 8158
Phone:	+44 1 606 7799 Telex:	885995 ROOT G	BT Gold: CQQ173

paul@vixie.UUCP (06/15/87)

In article <360@root44.co.uk> njh@root.co.uk (Nigel Horne) writes:

>>Compupro produced an S-100 board known as the CPU-32016,  using a
>>32016  processor.   It has been stated that these boards  can  go
>>10MHz.

...although the boards come (came) with 320xx-6 parts (6 MHz max) and a 6-MHz
crystal.  The engineering people at Compupro (now Viasyn) told me that a new
CPM, MMU, TCU, FPU, ICU, and crystal would make the board go 10-MHz -- all the
support circuitry is fast enough.

>And it runs Unix. I know - 'cos we ported it for them, but
>we haven't heard anything from them for a long time - we think they
>aren't around any more.

This amazes and disgusts me.  I'm sure the port is solid, and I would very
much like to purchase it -- and I asked the Compupro people (sales, engin.,
even George himself at a swap meet) about UNIX for the board, and they said
"what's that?".

For the record, I would **still** like to buy a UNIX for the thing.  I have
a pretty hefty system here, with about 1.5Mb of RAM and all the IO I could
ever want -- but no software.  I have illusions about cobbling up something
from scratch, but the machine is going to get pretty old and cold before
that happens.

To the people who mentioned MINIX: this would be acceptable, though BSD would
be better.  MINIX or a GCC back-end for the 32016 would really make me smile!
Let me (or the net, or both) know what's available in this area.

To other Compupro/Viasyn CPU-32016 owners (or Viasyn if you're on the net):
what are you all doing with your cards?  Viasyn sells (sold?) a FORTH for the
thing, but I'm just not interested in that.  What else is out there?
--
Paul A Vixie Esq
329 Noe Street       {ptsfa, crash, hoptoad, ucat}!vixie!paul