[comp.sys.nsc.32k] ICM3216: speed of disk I/O

barel@imag.UUCP (Max BAREL) (07/28/87)

Since my last posting generate some useful answers, let's try again.
When we get our ICM machine, we were quit happy but disapointed by speed of
disk I/O.
I wrote a simple benchmark, doing random BLOCK read on /dev/dsk/0s7, in order to
minimise the buffer cache mechanism influence. This test ends up with a
throughput of 10 kbyte/s.
Our hard was:
	-emulex controller
	-CDC wren II 85 Mb disk
The same test on an ATT 3b2/400 give 30Kb/s.
I recently change the emulex cont. for an Adaptec RLL 2/7. This speed up
the speed to 15Kb/s.
Here is the question: What is slow in the chain?
The ICM SCSI channel and the controler are specified for much more.
We try other disk (hitachi,...), whithout succes.
All have raisonable seek time.
The driver could be the problem ?
I hear my modest bench fly to NSC, which get much better result. It seem it is
with a new release of the driver.
I should welcome some light around this, since I can't believe the driver
was so bad.
Thank's.

--
-------------------------
Max Barel

joer@nscpdc.NSC.COM (Joe Rawlings) (08/04/87)

Edited for brevity sake:

In article <1879@imag.UUCP> barel@imag.UUCP (Max BAREL) writes:
>When we get our ICM machine, we were quite happy but disapointed by speed of
>disk I/O.
>I wrote a simple benchmark, doing random BLOCK read on /dev/dsk/0s7, in order
>to minimise the buffer cache mechanism influence. This test ends up with a
>throughput of 10 kbyte/s.
>Our disk environment was:
>	-emulex controller
>	-CDC wren II 85 Mb disk
>The same test on an ATT 3b2/400 give 30Kb/s.
>I recently change the emulex cont. for an Adaptec RLL 2/7. This speed up
>the speed to 15Kb/s.

>Here is the question: What is slow in the chain?
>The ICM SCSI channel and the controler are specified for much more.

>I should welcome some light around this, since I can't believe the driver
>was so bad.
>Thank's.

Disk throughput is dependent upon many things, however..... to find out
why your figures are so low, we need to know how you are testing the
throughput.

We have tested the throughput and the following are peak and average values
for both raw and block I/O in bytes per second using a Quantum Q160 disk drive.

		read				write		overall
				RAW I/O

PEAK		489,411				409,600
AVERAGE		374,491				409,600		391,259

			       BLOCKED I/O

PEAK		 56,320				297,890
AVERAGE		 25,458				105,931		 41,051

Please recall that the possible throughput of a bus (SCSI in this case) has
very little to do with the actual throughput, as OS/device command passing,
syncronization, OS overhead, mechanical movements etc. must occur in addition
to the actual data transfer.
--
*  Joe Rawlings                         nsc!nscpdc!joer                       * *  ICM Product Support                  tektronix!reed!nscpdc!joer            *