[comp.sys.nsc.32k] CLOCAL, or catch-22

agnew@trwrc.UUCP (R.A. Agnew) (08/25/87)

In article <26258@sun.uucp>, guy%gorodish@Sun.COM (Guy Harris) writes:
> Well, yes, but what would you expect?  "getty" handles dialing in, not out.
>
> It doesn't like "-" in front of anything.  When you define modes, it starts out
>
> You missed the whole point.  He *doesn't* want to know when carrier drops; he

No -- didn't miss point, I was responding to Steven Samuel's reply <169@edm.UUCP>,
not to Amos Shapir's <326@nsta.UUCP>. My three points and your's are the same.

My problem is a little different. I have a broken, binary port of System V, release 2
by ZAIAZ to a NS32032 running on a Definicon DSI-32 in a PC clone. The modem is a
INTEC 1200.  I don't have source and can't get support from Definicon or ZAIAZ.
The port dosn't support Automatic Call Units. Rather than fix it, ZAIAZ suggests
auto dialing by defining the modem port as "direct" and using the auto-log field in
L.sys to pass commands to the modem. This kludge works but CU and most importantly
uucico won't "connect" to the direct port unless the DSR bit is on. (Data Set Ready).
When I force DSR high via a modem switch, then I can't run getty because it runs login
when there is no incoming call.
	I can run uucp as a polled node only or as a dialout node only. To turn it around
to transmit, I have to run a script "call" which puts a direct line in inittab and then
does a kill -1 1. This will only work if I flip the DSR high switch on the intec on.
When I want to answer, I run the "answer" script which puts a getty/respawn line in inittab
and does kill -1 1, then I have to turn the DSR switch off.
	Now what I need is a way to turn the DSR bit on/off with software so that uucico
can go either direction. I tried running the c code submitted by Brandon Allbery in
<325@#nsta.UUCP> which sets clocal mode using O_NDELAY. It apparently sets clocal but
after I run it CU reports "device not available". I have to shut down and reboot (20 minutes)
to get the device back. Maybe I should hook DSR to DCD and then run the c program.
Please help, I am desperate.

			Bob Agnew -- disclaimer, disclaimer, etc.

			ucbvax!trwrb!trwrc!agnew
			sdcsvax!hp-sdd!trwrc!agnew
			hplabs!hp-sdd!trwrc!agnew