[comp.sys.nsc.32k] looking for ref. manual

grenley@nsc.nsc.com (George Grenley) (05/05/88)

Once again the variability of NSC Field Sales offices comes to light.  Some
are more responsive than others...

Mr. Seefried's comments are correct - if the field screws up, call the
marketing manager for that product group and point out the problem.

For Series 32000, though, there is no marekting manager - the position is
currently vacant.  Call Anil Uberoi, the acting manager, at 721 6245, or
go right to the top and call the VP, Dick Sanquini, at 721-5313.

If you want to buy one of our new Series 32000 VME board (32332 or 32532),
call me at 721-5513.  These are available at a modest discount to
qualified University applications.

In article <5712@pyr.gatech.EDU> ccastks@pyr.UUCP (Ken Seefried iii) writes:
>In article <12408@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> george@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (George M. Jones) writes:
>>I am looking for a reasonably quick way to get some documentation on the
>>NS 32K series, specificly some sort of processor reference manual and/or
>>description of machine language.
>>I had a bad experience trying to deal with NS directly: I called NS, got
>...bad experience deleted...
>The instruction set manual ( copyright 1984 ) is Publication #420010099-001b,
>customer # NSP-INST-REF-M.  The hardware ref is 'the Series 32000 Databook',
>adn i don't have it on hand, so i can't give you the numbers.
>
>My local NS office sends me a lot of stuff, and i have never hasd a problem
>with them.  If you have a problem with a local office, call up the home
>office and tell them flat out that the local guys are jerking you around.
>I had to do this with the local Intel office (didn't give me a runaround,
>just wouldn't talk to me...) and it is VERY efective.  I got no less than
>3 calls telling me that they were sorry for the inconvenience and the material
>was on its way.

George, I will send you a copy of the programmer's manual, although I might
editorailize that there is no such thing as "simple assembly language" 8-)...

Obligatory product plug:  The32532 is the hottest CPU you can buy today.
That won't remain true for long, so buy it now...
But seriously, we have a neat VME based 32532 board, that is excellent
for graphics and floating point intensive stuff.  Gimme a call...

George 408 721 5513

donm@omepd (Don McGlauflin) (05/06/88)

>Obligatory product plug:  The32532 is the hottest CPU you can buy today.
                                           ^^^^^^^
                                    Would cooling fins help?  :-)

>That won't remain true for long, so buy it now...

This is easy to believe, considering what they did to the ICM product
line, and what they did to their (former) Portland Development Center
employees.   :-(

Don McGlauflin
Engineering Consultant

george@iguanodon.cis.ohio-state.edu (George M. Jones) (05/07/88)

grenley@nsc.UUCP (George Grenley) writes:
    Once again the variability of NSC Field Sales offices comes to light.  Some
    are more responsive than others...

It was the national NS office that gave me the runaround.

    George, I will send you a copy of the programmer's manual

Thanks very much.  I should inform the net world that I have had several
helpful responces from NS employees.

I may have spouted off about my troubles a bit too loudly in a bit too public
of a media.  I understand that any large orginization that deals with
a large number of queries about a large number of products is bound to
drop the ball on a few.  I guess the number just came up with my call.

    although I might
    editorailize that there is no such thing as "simple assembly language" 8-)...

Agreed.  Simple was intended to modify "assembly language manual" in the sense
of "mere".  English.  Fehhh !

I too will editoralize: let me deal with programmers and engineers over a
customer _______ organization any day. I have run into a few exceptionaly
good ones. My dealings with NS was an isolated, one time thing so they may
indeed be one of the exceptions.

---George Jones
-=-
OSU Computer & Info. Science 2036 Neil Ave., Columbus, Ohio 43210. 614-292-7325
george@cis.ohio-state.edu or ...!cbosgd!osu-cis!george

Quality of life can be measured as the inverse of lawyers per thousand.

grenley@nsc.UUCP (05/13/88)

I see I have got myself it a bit of a spot, here...

In article <3446@omepd> donm@omepd.UUCP (Don McGlauflin) writes:
>>Obligatory product plug:  The32532 is the hottest CPU you can buy today.
>                                           ^^^^^^^
>                                    Would cooling fins help?  :-)

              well, they couldn't hurt...actually the 532s I've been using
              run surprisingly cool - our typical power dissipation is a lot
              lower than the data sheet max.  They pass the thumb test easy.

>>That won't remain true for long, so buy it now...
>
>This is easy to believe, considering what they did to the ICM product
>line, and what they did to their (former) Portland Development Center
>employees.   :-(
>
>Don McGlauflin
>Engineering Consultant

Don's comments re ICM are essentially correct.  The ICM group has more
or less stopped doing new design work, so far as I know.  They continue
to build and sell products for our exisitng customers, of whom there are
quite a few, but not enough.

The emphasis is on standard bus products, namely VME right now.  I was
a participant in the design of the VME532, and am now the person
responsible for selling it.  Our initial response has been very favorable
so I believe it will be a successful product.

Also, two other VME companies are doing 32000 series product.  One is
Heurikon and the other is Xycom.

PlugOn!!!

The VME532 offers the highest integer and floating point performance you
can get in a board level product available now.  Performance leadership is
a see-saw, I expect other, faster boards are in design now, at several
companies (including NSC!).

The cost is low, too.  $7700 list, $4690 in 100 quantity.  If you
want more info, call me at (408) 721-5513 or email or post.

PlugOff!!!

George Grenley

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (05/14/88)

In article <5062@nsc.nsc.com> grenley@nsc.UUCP (George Grenley) writes:
>The VME532 offers the highest integer and floating point performance you
>can get in a board level product available now.

I assume you mean the highest performance in a '532 board, unless it is
faster than the MIPS R2800 (10 VAX MIPS, 1.6 DP FORTRAN LINPACK MFLOPS,
23,700 Dhrystones), a VMEbus board product.
--
Roger B.A. Klorese                           MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!rogerk  25 Burlington Mall Rd, Suite 300