[comp.sys.nsc.32k] Slings and Arrows of outrageous Fortune

grenley@nsc.nsc.com (George Grenley) (05/17/88)

Looks like we're in for some fun now.  Time to re-open

            "Bar Wars"

wherein the participants all bring their iron to a neighborhood tavern
and we see who's fastest...loser buys.

In article <324@mipseast.mips.COM> rogerk@mipseast.mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) writes:
>In article <5062@nsc.nsc.com> grenley@nsc.UUCP (George Grenley) writes:
>>The VME532 offers the highest integer and floating point performance you
>>can get in a board level product available now.
>
>I assume you mean the highest performance in a '532 board, unless it is
>faster than the MIPS R2800 (10 VAX MIPS, 1.6 DP FORTRAN LINPACK MFLOPS,
>23,700 Dhrystones), a VMEbus board product.

Okay, but one question: What basis do you use for calling it 10 VAX MIPS?
If it's 23,700 Dhrystones, it's more like 15 VAX MIPS...

Sounds like a neat board.  We want to buy one for comparison.  What's the
order number, price, and delivery date?

BTW, if you want a VME532 for comparison, order NSV-V532A-KF25, at $7800.
They're in the warehouse - although I expect to sell out soon.

Let's have our benchmark race one of these days.  We're all within half
a mile of each other, georgraphically.

Regards,
George Grenley

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (05/17/88)

In article <5066@nsc.nsc.com> grenley@nsc.UUCP (George Grenley) writes:
#Looks like we're in for some fun now.  Time to re-open
#
#            "Bar Wars"
#
#wherein the participants all bring their iron to a neighborhood tavern
#and we see who's fastest...loser buys.

It's a deal... but Mashey mixes 'em better than I do!  ;-)

#In article <324@mipseast.mips.COM> rogerk@mipseast.mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) writes:
#>In article <5062@nsc.nsc.com> grenley@nsc.UUCP (George Grenley) writes:
#>>The VME532 offers the highest integer and floating point performance you
#>>can get in a board level product available now.
#>
#>I assume you mean the highest performance in a '532 board, unless it is
#>faster than the MIPS R2800 (10 VAX MIPS, 1.6 DP FORTRAN LINPACK MFLOPS,
#>23,700 Dhrystones), a VMEbus board product.
#
#Okay, but one question: What basis do you use for calling it 10 VAX MIPS?
#If it's 23,700 Dhrystones, it's more like 15 VAX MIPS...

Conservativeness, plus the "MIPS Performance Brief"... we base our VAX
numbers on a range of benchmarks (UNIX tools, Stanford Integer, LINPACK,
Whetstone, Livermore Loops, DODOC) as well as Dhrystone, and publish the
geometric mean as our "VAX MIPS" number.  Some of our OEMs, such as
Silicon Graphics and Prime, use a less exhaustive suite and call it about
14 VAX MIPS.

#Sounds like a neat board.  We want to buy one for comparison.  What's the
#order number, price, and delivery date?

Model number R2800
Order number: 02-00121A (without FPA):   $10,000 (list)
              02-00122A (with FPA):      $10,995 (list)

Available today - we've been shipping the M/1000 system based on it
since early 1987.

Note that this does not constitute a formal quotation, etc.  Contact
Sales Operations at (408) 720-1700 for a rep.

#Let's have our benchmark race one of these days.  We're all within half
#a mile of each other, geographically.

OK... and say hello to Glenn Weinberg for me!
--
Roger B.A. Klorese                           MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!rogerk  25 Burlington Mall Rd, Suite 300