[comp.sys.nsc.32k] Are these things suppose to be hot?

kevin@latcs1.oz (Kevin James Bertram) (07/22/88)

	I have just completed construction of a 32032 computer. (Details
of it are irrelavent). What I would like to know is :- is it normal for
the 32201D-8 (TCU) to get uncomfortably hot to touch (Xtal frequecy is 16 MHz)?
And if so why is it that the CPU  (32032E-10) runs heaps cooler?
I don't trust chips that run too hot to touch. The 80186-10 (Intel) scared me
quite a bit when I built it into a computer.  I could have easily cooked an
egg on it. Still can!
	Thanks for any info you might be willing to give me guys.

	kevin@latcs1.oz

grenley@nsc.nsc.com (George Grenley) (07/26/88)

On hot running parts...

In article <4413@latcs1.oz> kevin@latcs1.oz (Kevin James Bertram) writes:
>What I would like to know is :- is it normal for
>the 32201D-8 (TCU) to get uncomfortably hot to touch (Xtal frequecy is 16 MHz)?
>And if so why is it that the CPU  (32032E-10) runs heaps cooler?

The 32201 is spec'd at 260 mA, = 1.3 watts, at 10 mhz.  It is a nmos type
process, so it uses a lot of current.  Be aware that most of the power in
an IC is used by the drivers, not the internal logic.  In particular, clock
drivers suck amps.

Try a 32C201, if you have access to one.  It is cooler.

Regards,
George Grenley
person in charge of stuff
National Semiconductor