[comp.sys.nsc.32k] Assembler syntax of CINV in the 32532

ewerlid@kuling.UUCP (Ove Ewerlid) (09/13/88)

 This may seem like a rather odd question but as I'm currently working on
a ns32k-assembler (porting GAS actually) the following question arose:

Why has national decided on a new syntax form for optionlists for the ns32532?
(This may not be the case, as the datasheet I have is marked preliminary.)
In APPENDIX C, page 89 of this datasheet the CINV instruction is described.

Assembler syntax:   CINV options,src

 where options are combinations of A,I or D separated by ','
 ie there are 3 bits in the machine instruction that are to be set
 if the corresponding letter EXIST in the operand(s).

	compare this with the old instruction SETCFG

Assembler syntax:   SETCFG [option list]

 where option-list is combinations of C,M,F or I separated by ','
 this list is enfolded within two squarebrackets.
 Ie there are 4 bits in the machine instruction that are to be set
 if the corresponding letter EXIST in the operand. (just one operand)

 Now, at the machine level those instructions have the same needs.
Ie the setting of a bitmap of options according to the letters in the operands.
I think this should be reflected with two identical syntax-forms and not
introduce a second form that leads to another specialcase in the assembler.
Furthermore I think that the syntax of SETCFG gives a cleaner modell for
operand disassembly in the assembler. This means that the CINV should have
exactly two operands and not 1 to 4.

 Again, the above may not be the case if my preliminary datasheet not is up to
date and as I think like a man that is writeing an assembler I may have missed
some subtle point that justifies the new syntax.

/Ove

schultz@mmm.UUCP (John C Schultz) (09/16/88)

In article <828@kuling.UUCP> ewerlid@kuling.UUCP (Ove Ewerlid) writes:

> This may seem like a rather odd question but as I'm currently working on
>a ns32k-assembler (porting GAS actually) the following question arose:

Has anyone ported GCC for the ICM3216?  I have been trying but get
the following errors:

no ranlib for Sys V - run it anyway and pray that I can figure out the
                      link errors.

insn-codes.h line 153  compiler error:parameter stack overflow
        - patch - I removed a couple hopefully esoteric mnemonics

lots of files - too many #defines - apparently the Nat'l compiler does
                not like long (10-20 lines) definitions.  I have not
                solved this one yet.
--
   john c. schultz         schultz@mmm.UUCP          (612) 733-4047
           3M Center, Bldg 518-1-1, St. Paul, MN 55144-1000

rfg@nsc.nsc.com (Ron Guilmette) (09/20/88)

In article <1115@mmm.UUCP> schultz@mmm.UUCP (John C Schultz) writes:

>Has anyone ported GCC for the ICM3216?

No, but I have ported it to the vme532 which ought to be quite similar.
For instance it is also a 32000 processor and also runs System V.  Actually,
I also have a number of patches for the vme532 (which might also be applicable
to your ICM3216) which I have not yet sent to Stallman.  If you want, I will
be glag to E-mail them to you.

>I have been trying but get the following errors:
>
>no ranlib for Sys V - run it anyway and pray that I can figure out the
>                      link errors.

You obviously have a somewhat out-of-date copy of GCC.  Stallman fixed the
Makefile so that it doesn't try to do ranlib's as of about 1.26.  Get a newer
version.  The latest is 1.28.

>insn-codes.h line 153  compiler error:parameter stack overflow
>        - patch - I removed a couple hopefully esoteric mnemonics
>
>lots of files - too many #defines - apparently the Nat'l compiler does
>                not like long (10-20 lines) definitions.  I have not
>                solved this one yet.

One possible solution to the second problem would be for me to send you a
set of ".o" files for just the GNU C-preprocessor.  You could then try
linking these in your environment with your libraries to get an initial
executable copy of the GNU preprocessor which could be used in place of
the normal C-preprocessor for further compilations.

Let me know if you would like me to do this.  Also let me know if you
have executable versions of uudecode and uncompress on your system.
If not then the transfer via E-mail will be harder.

--
Ron Guilmette
National SemiConductor, 1135 Kern Ave. M/S 7C-266; Sunnyvale, CA 94086