[comp.sys.nsc.32k] Yes, we at NSC do read this group...

grenley@nsc.nsc.com (George Grenley) (10/19/88)

Oh Boy!  Somebody's interested in the series 32000!

In article <2582@sultra.UUCP> dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Der Tynan) writes:
>OK, I'm interested in the 32K series from National.

Great!

>So where do I turn for
>more information?  That's right.  comp.sys.nsc.32k.  And what do I find?
>Nada!  Zip!  The occasional article that seems to slip by.  Doesn't anyone
>out there use this thing?

We'd rather not talk about the number of users we have, Der.  Or maybe it's
that 32000 users don't use the net...

>Come on, some comments.  How does it compare to
>the Motorola lineup.  What are people doing with it.  How do they like it.
>You know, USENET stuff!!  For one thing, the GNU C compiler has machine
>definitions for the 32K, but GAS doesn't.  Is anyone working on this??
>What about bugs in the ucode?  I see that GCC refers to some bugs, in the
>way that it generates code.  Anyone got experience with this?  What complete
>systems are available out there?  How much are they?  Look, if this doesn't
>start the ball rolling, I'll have to start misquoting people, and posting
>incorrect data, just to get you 32k'ers to post something.
>						- Der
>Reply:	dtynan@sultra.UUCP		(Der Tynan @ Tynan Computers)
>	{mips,pyramid}!sultra!dtynan

There really isn't any comparison to the Mot architecture.  (Note to MBA
students - this is proof that the best architecture does not $$$$ make.)

Regarding GNU C, we will be very happy to see the GNU compiler run under
DOS (boo hiss).  Yes, I know it is not easy/impossible, but....

Regarding bugs; yes, we got 'em.  How many you want?

Regarding complete systems, there are several options (given in rough order
of increasing cost - sorry if I have missed any!)

1. Opus Systems, Cupertino, CA - 32032, 32332, 32532 based Unix V.3 add in
cards for IBM PCs.  I happen to have one, it is a good product.

2. Aeon, Boulder, CO - also makes add-in cards for PCs - I believe their
532 card is the fastest that is available.  (Based on Mfr's claims - I
haven't benckmarked them)

3. Heurikon, Madison, WI (608-251-8715) - they make VME based 532 cards and
offer fulll systems as well.  They also have Sun III resident cross tools for
32K.

4. Encore, and Sequent - these aren't exactly laptop systems (8-) but they
are 32K - see their respective newsgroups (but remember - Sequent's Symmetry
system is a segmented tool of the devil!)

5. Siemens makes a bunch of different 32K boxes which they sell in Europe.

6. In Australia, try Osiris.

I read this group several times a week, so, to the extent I can answer
questions, I will.

Lastly, there was a posting regard a 32K kit with incomplete ROM set.  I
suggest you contact our TSEC group, by writing

National Semi
TSEC, bldg 5
2925 Copper Rd.
Santa Clara, CA 95051
attn: Mike Guivi

Good luck.  The old designer kits were thrown together somewhat haphazardly
and have more that a few (mostly undiscovered) bugs...

Regards,
George Grenley
disclaimer:  I work for NSC.  My word is LAW!  8-)