[comp.sys.nsc.32k] Airplane analogies???

grenley@nsc.nsc.com (George Grenley) (10/25/88)

I fear we have established yet another meaningless b'mark comparison,
the AirBorne! rating....    8-)

In article <6438@winchester.mips.COM> mash@winchester.UUCP (John Mashey) writes:
>>>Can you say "F-15 vs. a hot air balloon"?  Well, I guess I'm biased ;-)

>>Ok, it the NSC chips are "an F-15" the the 68xxx part gotta be
>>at least "a prop-jet" ... The Intel lineup are "bi-planes"
>>... Maybe my TI-58 would be "a hot air balloon"

>>Any benchmark comparisons between the 88000 and the newest '532 ??

>34K Dhrystones is the published number for the 88K, although
>that uses an unspecified cache size [almost irrelevant, since it fits
>in small caches], clock rate [relevant; we think this number is what
>25MHz parts would be, but maybe they're for a well-tuned 20MHz one],
>and memory system [somewhat important, although not very, with a writeback
>cache].  As I recall, 532s are about half that, although I could be
>wrong, as I don't track them closely.

This is about right, depending on which test conditions you specify...
Our 30 meg part is around 17K...

>Just to extend the analogy, note that if 532's are F-15s, there are
>a number of people flying in Lockheed Blackirds [MIPS R3000s], already
>[20 VUPS @ 25MHz, 42K Dhrystones.]

Oh yeah?  Well, our NEXT cpu will be the Space Shuttle!!!  (whoops, that
might not be a good analogy, challenger...)

>-john mashey	DISCLAIMER: <generic disclaimer, I speak for me only, etc>
>UUCP: 	{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash  OR  mash@mips.com
>DDD:  	408-991-0253 or 408-720-1700, x253
>USPS: 	MIPS Computer Systems, 930 E. Arques, Sunnyvale, CA 94086

George Grenley
Test-Pilot-at-Large

dlr@daver.UUCP (Dave Rand) (10/25/88)

In article <7275@nsc.nsc.com> grenley@nsc.nsc.com.UUCP (George Grenley) writes:
> [ dhrystone benchmarking stuff]
>This is about right, depending on which test conditions you specify...
>Our 30 meg part is around 17K...

I get 18,335...

Dave Rand
--