[comp.sys.nsc.32k] floating point accelerators

chcu275@ut-emx.UUCP (Noel Bell) (10/27/88)

  I would like to know what fpa units are commonly used with the 32x32
  family of chips.  Does Opus market their boards with fpa's?  How much
  can floating point performance be improved with available fpa's?

  Thanks for any information.

  Noel Bell
  chcu275@ut-emx

grenley@nsc.nsc.com (George Grenley) (10/28/88)

In article <7318@ut-emx.UUCP> chcu275@ut-emx.UUCP (Noel Bell) writes:

>  I would like to know what fpa units are commonly used with the 32x32
>  family of chips.  Does Opus market their boards with fpa's?  How much
>  can floating point performance be improved with available fpa's?

We currently offer 3 fpas.  The original unit is the 32081, and works with
CPUs up to the 332.  It uses the older, "slow" interface.

The 32381 is somewhat faster than the 081, plus, it is available at clock
speeds up to 30 mhz.  It works with the 532, as well as the older processors,
and uses a faster slave protocol.

We also offer a 2 chip FPA, based on Weitek's 3164 chip.  (Our 32580 interface
plus their 3164 = seriously fast floating point.  A 30 mhz systems hits
around 8 mWhets.)  This combination only works with the 532.

Opus's boards do have fpas.  I don't know for sure whether they're standard
or optional.

Regards,
George Grenley

gbs@stratus.UUCP (George B. Smith) (10/29/88)

Say, George (that's George Grenley at NSC), are you saying that the
32016 or the 32032 will work with the 32381?  My understanding was
that only the 32332 will work with both the 081 and the 381.  That
the 532 will only work with the 381 (or 580).  And that the "older"
processors, 032 and 016, will only work with the 081.  And what
about the 32CG16?

The Opus cards, the SYS32/30 (or PM200) and the SYS32/20 (or PM100)
both have fpus standard.  Both of them use the 081.

George B. Smith
Stratus Computer, Inc.
{amdahl | oliveb} !stratus!gbs

grenley@nsc.nsc.com (George Grenley) (10/30/88)

The prodigal son returns to net-land....

In article <997@stratus.UUCP> gbs@stratus.UUCP (George B. Smith) writes:
>Say, George (that's George Grenley at NSC), are you saying that the
>32016 or the 32032 will work with the 32381?  My understanding was
>that only the 32332 will work with both the 081 and the 381.  That
>the 532 will only work with the 381 (or 580).  And that the "older"
>processors, 032 and 016, will only work with the 081.  And what
>about the 32CG16?

Didn't we teach you this stuff when you worked here, George?  8-)

But seriously, I had thought the 381 supported what we now call the "old"
slave protocol, and would work with older chips.  I might be wrong, though.
I'll double check.

What ABOUT the 32CG16?  Wanna buy some?  We want the job.

>The Opus cards, the SYS32/30 (or PM200) and the SYS32/20 (or PM100)
>both have fpus standard.  Both of them use the 081.

Thanks.

George

ps. i wear sweatshirts to work now.  Tradition lives!