[comp.sys.nsc.32k] ICM-332 can't talk to Adaptec tape controller

trevor@flinders.cs.flinders.oz (Trevor Norman) (10/28/88)

I can't get an ICM-332 system to talk to an Adaptec (3500?) SCSI tape
controller, which makes it a tad hard to boot...

The same tape system works just fine on ICM-32016 systems, but is a total
loser on 332 board.

Can anyone shed some light on this?  Is Emulex the only tape controller
the new monitor supports???

Thanks,
	Frustrated...

schultz@mmm.UUCP (John C Schultz) (10/31/88)

In article <228@flinders.cs.flinders.oz> trevor@flinders.cs.flinders.oz (Trevor Norman) writes:
>I can't get an ICM-332 system to talk to an Adaptec (3500?) SCSI tape
>controller, which makes it a tad hard to boot...
>
>The same tape system works just fine on ICM-32016 systems, but is a total
>loser on 332 board.

While I can't help with the original question, but what/how did you get
and ICM-332?  I had heard that Nat'l dropped the ICM line with a
"thud".  Can I trade in my ICM-32016?  How much?

More to the original question, I use an Adaptex 4070 RLL disk
controller (Emulex tape controler - sorry) with no problems on the ICM-32016.
--
   john c. schultz         schultz@mmm.3m.UUCP          (612) 733-4047
           3M Center, Bldg 518-1-1, St. Paul, MN 55144-1000

grenley@nsc.nsc.com (George Grenley) (11/02/88)

The following may be of interest to ALL ICM users; there is now an upgrade
path of sorts for you....

In article <1163@mmm.UUCP> schultz@mmm.UUCP (John C Schultz) writes:
>In article <228@flinders.cs.flinders.oz> trevor@flinders.cs.flinders.oz (Trevor Norman) writes:
>>I can't get an ICM-332 system to talk to an Adaptec (3500?) SCSI tape
>>controller, which makes it a tad hard to boot...

>While I can't help with the original question, but what/how did you get
>and ICM-332?  I had heard that Nat'l dropped the ICM line with a
>"thud".  Can I trade in my ICM-32016?  How much?

First of all, a disclaimer: I do not work for the ICM group; they are a totally
seperate organization, part of National's Systems Group (NAS + Datachecker)

To be precise, National stopped most new development work on the ICM product
family; it was not selling well.  National continues to manufacture and sell
ICM boards to the existing customer base.

There were some number of 332 based machines built; I have seen them.  But I
don't believe a lot of them got out to customers.

So, what's a Series 32000 and/or Unix fan to do these days?  Easy.  Call
the Heurikon Corporation, in Madison, Wisconsin, at (608) 251-8715.  They
offer a family of 32532 based Unix platforms, in various degrees of dress (i.e.
board-only, full system, etc.)  They are a source licensed AT&T SysV shop,
so they can (and do) do their own software support, etc.  They have a lot
of nice hardware and software products.  So go on, call 'em.  Do it before
midnight tonight, so you don't forget.  8-)

Seriously, they are good products.  The HK32/V532 board is easily 4 times
faster than a 332 at 15 mhz, and 6-8 times faster than older 032 systems.
Disk I/O is much improved also.  This board is a true SBC; hook up a disk
and power and you've got a useful Unix box.

Heurikon also sells a VME532 board set; while it costs more, it features
a large cache and can support LOTS of DRAM if you need the speed.

So, call 'em.

George Grenley
NSC

Disclaimer:  I have no special relationship with Heurikon, other than that they
are an NSC customer (Obvious; where _else_ would they get 532s?).

ballanty@fornax.UUCP (Rob Ballantyne) (11/04/88)

    After watching this newsgroup for about two weeks I've decided to join
the frey!!

    I have long been a fan of the NS32k uPs, and until now thought that
any 32k based unix system would be out of reach financially. Watching this
newsgroup I realize this is not so. What I would like to ask is:
What is my best route to getting up and running with a system?

    I have seen a number of options go by: 1) buy a single board system,
power supply, disk drive and away I go or 2) buy a plug in board for an
IBM PC/XT/AT and away I go.

    Option #1 is ok if I can get it cheap enough.

    The trouble with Option #2 is I don't own a PC, I would be willing to
buy one though if the combined price was cheap enough.

    So, what does everyone think?

    What boards are available?  ZAIAZ made an offer in this newsgroup
what do people think of their equipment?

    Thanks,

        Rob

   Regular mail:  Rob Ballantyne
                  7731 Wansford Dr.