[comp.sys.nsc.32k] 32132 products/application notes

dsb@cidam.rmit.oz (David Burren [Athos]) (11/05/88)

Browsing through my Series 32000 Databook I can see the data for the NS32132
CPU. But the book doesn't answer all my questions (unless I missed something).

1.	Apart from it's support for dual-processor systems, what other
	features over the '032 does the '132 have?

2.	Are there any products out there that use the '132?

3.	Has NatSemi published any Application Note on the design of a
	system using the '132?

David S. Burren, ("Athos")	  ACSnet/CSNET:	dsb@cidam.oz
RMIT,					  UUCP:	...!uunet!munnari!cidam.oz!dsb
Melbourne, AUSTRALIA		  	  ARPA:	dsb%cidam.oz@uunet.uu.net

gbs@stratus.UUCP (George B. Smith) (11/07/88)

In article <2877@cidam.rmit.oz> dsb@cidam.rmit.oz (David Burren [Athos]) writes:
>Browsing through my Series 32000 Databook I can see the data for the NS32132
>CPU.

There is a brand new data book on 32k products out.  I would advise you to
get a copy from your local National Rep.  I am sorry to tell you but there
is no part with the number NS32132 in the book since National never built
the part.

>2.	Are there any products out there that use the '132?
>3.	Has NatSemi published any Application Note on the design of a
>	system using the '132?

I don't think so since the part was never built :-).

>David S. Burren, ("Athos")	  ACSnet/CSNET:	dsb@cidam.oz

George B. Smith			disclaimer: don't blame Stratus for
Stratus Computer, Inc		my opinions.
gbs@stratus

grenley@nsc.nsc.com (George Grenley) (11/08/88)

Old databooks can haunt you....

In article <2877@cidam.rmit.oz> dsb@cidam.rmit.oz (David Burren [Athos]) writes:
>Browsing through my Series 32000 Databook I can see the data for the NS32132
>CPU. But the book doesn't answer all my questions (unless I missed something).

>1.	Apart from it's support for dual-processor systems, what other
>	features over the '032 does the '132 have?

It consumes no power & takes no board space  ;-)

>2.	Are there any products out there that use the '132?

We'd love to see one....   8-)

>3.	Has NatSemi published any Application Note on the design of a
>	system using the '132?

No.  Seriously, there is no 32132.  Although we did announce at one time plans
to make one, we never did.  Sorry about that.

George Grenley
Apps Engineer
Nat'l Semi

dsb@cidam.rmit.oz (David Burren [Athos]) (11/09/88)

In article <1040@stratus.UUCP>, gbs@stratus.UUCP (George B. Smith) writes:
> In article <2877@cidam.rmit.oz> dsb@cidam.rmit.oz (David Burren [Athos]) writes:
> >Browsing through my Series 32000 Databook I can see the data for the NS32132
> >CPU.
>
> There is a brand new data book on 32k products out.  I would advise you to
> get a copy from your local National Rep.  I am sorry to tell you but there
> is no part with the number NS32132 in the book since National never built
> the part.

Hmmm. That's weird. My databook is the 1986 edition (ok, so I'm a bit out of
date). There's definitely a 32132 in there...... I suppose National may have
discontinued it, but if it was in one of their databooks (and it IS) I would
have thought at least a few were made :-)

In article <7592@nsc.nsc.com>, grenley@nsc.nsc.com (George Grenley) writes:
> Old databooks can haunt you....
>
> In article <2877@cidam.rmit.oz> dsb@cidam.rmit.oz (David Burren [me]) writes:
> >Browsing through my Series 32000 Databook I can see the data for the NS32132
>
> .... Seriously, there is no 32132.  Although we did announce at one time plans
> to make one, we never did.  Sorry about that.
>
> George Grenley

Thanks for confirmation of that. I would've thought the data sheet would have
said "PRELIMINARY" or somesuch. Oh well, methinx me needs a new databook......

Ho hum, there goes another paper design out the window.
David S. Burren, ("Athos")	  ACSnet/CSNET:	dsb@cidam.oz
aRMpIT,					  UUCP:	...!uunet!munnari!cidam.oz!dsb
Melbourne, AUSTRALIA		  	  ARPA:	dsb%cidam.oz@uunet.uu.net

gbs@stratus.UUCP (George B. Smith) (11/11/88)

In article <2891@cidam.rmit.oz> dsb@cidam.rmit.oz (David Burren [Athos]) writes:
>Hmmm. That's weird. My databook is the 1986 edition (ok, so I'm a bit out of
>date). There's definitely a 32132 in there...... I suppose National may have
>discontinued it, but if it was in one of their databooks (and it IS) I would
>have thought at least a few were made :-)
>
>David S. Burren, ("Athos")	  ACSnet/CSNET:	dsb@cidam.oz
>RMIT,					  UUCP:	...!uunet!munnari!cidam.oz!dsb
>Melbourne, AUSTRALIA		  	  ARPA:	dsb%cidam.oz@uunet.uu.net

Let me try to make this clear.  Yes, the 32132 part appeared in the '86
edition of the 32k data book.  Yes, as George Grenley of NSC has previously
stated, there were a few parts made.  But it never made it to *product*
status.  It is *not* supported by any of Nationals software tools or
documentation.  It is *not* in the current 32k data book, the one dated 1988.

So I advise you not to design it in to any of your new products :-).

George B. Smith				Disclaimer:  this info is just hearsay
Stratus Computer, Inc.
gbs@stratus.stratus.com

stevel@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Steve Ligett) (11/11/88)

In article <2891@cidam.rmit.oz> dsb@cidam.rmit.oz (David Burren [Athos]) writes:
>Hmmm. That's weird. My databook is the 1986 edition (ok, so I'm a bit out of
>date). There's definitely a 32132 in there...

It's in the 1988 Semiconductor Master Selection Guide, too.
But let's move on to something that looks more promising.
Steve Ligett  steve.ligett@dartmouth.edu or               Expiring minds
(decvax harvard linus true)!dartvax!steve.ligett          want to know.

mason@reed.UUCP (Mark Mason) (11/22/88)

In article <1065@stratus.UUCP> gbs@stratus.UUCP (George B. Smith) writes:
>	 It is *not* in the current 32k data book, the one dated 1988.

Hi, I'm another one of those broke college students ;-), I would like
to know where I could get one of the up-to-date data books for the
32k. Do the National Semi distributors have them? do they give them to
non-company type people? Do they charge for them? (anything i've
forgotten?) Also, is there a distributor in the Portland/Beaverton
area (Oregon) and what is the proper way to contact them (walk in?).

I am interested in the 32k-do-it-yourself-er, although at the moment
my hands are tied with my thesis. Also, I have a 32016 tektronix
workstation that I've been trying to get on-line.

Thanks,
mason
--
Pick one (in order of preference):