[comp.sys.nsc.32k] Goodspeed GS-32 users, anybody out there?

pekka@majestix.liu.se (Pekka Akselin [The Mad Midnight Hacker]) (11/15/88)

Hello!
Am I the only one with a Goodspeed GS-32 Single Board Computer?
Is there anybode else on the net running this machine?
If so then mail me!
Because we may exchange experiences on this board.

The GS-32 board is a 32032 design made by Goodspeed Inc.
At this date Goodspeed Inc. is no more.

Thanks for your attention!
Bye.

	/pekka

[...The Mad Midnight Hacker Strikes Again...]
pak@ida.liu.se                                   ...!uunet!enea!liuida!ida!pak
Pekka Akselin, Univ. of Linkoping, Sweden (The Land Of The Midnight Hacker 8-)

Bus error (core dumped)

mikpe@mina.liu.se (Mikael Pettersson) (11/15/88)

In article <1036@majestix.liu.se> pak@ida.liu.se writes:
>Am I the only one with a Goodspeed GS-32 Single Board Computer?

Nope, but you already know of me (mpe), ara, pelle and whatshisname.

>The GS-32 board is a 32032 design made by Goodspeed Inc.

And it runs ye olde' GENIX4.1, National's 4.1BSD with demand paging.
Sure is nice having a real (well, sort of) BSD box to play with!

As a compiler hacker, I've been trying to get GCC to run on the gs-32.
There were no big problems in getting it going but the assembler
(NSC's that is) doesn't grok GCC's assembly output. Sigh.

So, I'm wondering if someone has ported GCC to _any_ machine using
"standard" NSC assembler syntax [Q: does Genix5.3 use the same syntax
as the old GENIX4.1 ?], and if anyone knows how to convince GCC to use
those awful CXP/RXP/et al instructions we need in order to interface to
the existing library binaries ?

/Mike
--
Mikael Pettersson           ! Internet:mpe@ida.liu.se
Dept of Comp & Info Science ! UUCP:    mpe@liuida.uucp  -or-

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) (11/16/88)

#
# And it runs ye olde' GENIX4.1, National's 4.1BSD with demand paging.
# Sure is nice having a real (well, sort of) BSD box to play with!

I remember looking at the Goodspeed product before buying my Symmetric 375.

The 375, for those who don't know it, is a 32016/2MB/10MHz/0-wait box with
a WD1002-05 controller that has room for two 48/96TPI 5.25" floppies and
three ST506/412 drives (1024 cylinders/drive max, though).  All in a box
the size of a very small suitcase.  4 serial ports, 38KB max.  Ethernet and
SCSI are recent options.  It has a 32081 and 082, with NSC's TCU but a custom
PAL for the interrupt control.

It's a cute box, but it's slow.  The name "375" comes of having half the
power of a Vax 750 (no kidding!) which means it has about 0.25 VAX MIPS.
Dhrystone results bear this out.

Software used to be Genix 4.1, but was functionally upgraded in an ugly way
to 4.2BSD, and they've been talking for about a year about how great their
4.3BSD port will be when they ship it.

Symmetric did Goodspeed's software for them, by the way.

Unlike Goodspeed, Symmetric is still around, though I'm not sure why.  Their
prices are outrageous for the level of technology they offer; support and
service are not very good; etc.  They were talking about a Clipper-based box
last year some time, but I don't know what ever came of it.

Even with the warts, I agree with the above: it's been nice to have an
almost-full-BSD machine around at home to play with.  I could get an 8MB
20MHz 386 box for what I paid for the 375, but with ATT System V.3, it is
just not worth a hill of bean dip.  They tell me that V.4 will be better
and may have long filenames, symbolic links, and job control.  All I have
to do is wait until 1990.  Pfa.
--
Paul Vixie
Work:    vixie@decwrl.dec.com    decwrl!vixie    +1 415 853 6600

bga@raspail.UUCP (Bruce Albrecht) (11/16/88)

Could someone (Paul Vixie perhaps) provide an address for Symmetric?  Do they
have any NSC 32332 or 32532 machines?

rfg@nsc.nsc.com (Ron Guilmette) (11/17/88)

In article <1038@mina.liu.se> mikpe@mina.liu.se (Mikael Pettersson) writes:
>So, I'm wondering if someone has ported GCC to _any_ machine using
>"standard" NSC assembler syntax [Q: does Genix5.3 use the same syntax
>as the old GENIX4.1 ?], and if anyone knows how to convince GCC to use
>those awful CXP/RXP/et al instructions we need in order to interface to
>the existing library binaries ?

Ah, let me see... Yes (new format only), no, no.

--
Ron Guilmette
National SemiConductor, 1135 Kern Ave. M/S 7C-266; Sunnyvale, CA 94086

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) (11/19/88)

# Could someone (Paul Vixie perhaps) provide an address for Symmetric?  Do
# they have any NSC 32332 or 32532 machines?

As I said in my previous article, I don't have their address handy.  But you
can call directory assistance at 415-555-1212 and ask for "Symmetric Computer
Systems" in Fremont, CA.

They do not have any 332 or 532 machines.  Their only released product is
based on an 016, and the last new thing I heard about was based on the Clipper.
--

mms%sordid@Sun.COM (Michael Silverstein) (11/20/88)

In article <105@gnome6.pa.dec.com> vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) writes:
># Could someone (Paul Vixie perhaps) provide an address for Symmetric?  Do
># they have any NSC 32332 or 32532 machines?
>
>As I said in my previous article, I don't have their address handy.  But you
>can call directory assistance at 415-555-1212 and ask for "Symmetric Computer
>Systems" in Fremont, CA.
>
>They do not have any 332 or 532 machines.  Their only released product is
>based on an 016, and the last new thing I heard about was based on the Clipper.
>--
>Paul Vixie
>Work:    vixie@decwrl.dec.com    decwrl!vixie    +1 415 853 6600
>Play:    paul@vixie.sf.ca.us     vixie!paul      +1 415 864 7013

The last known phone number I have for Symmetric is

	415/651-6090

It hasn't done me much good. I'd be interested in hearing about other
people's experience with this company.

Mike Silverstein	sun!mms

snoopy@sopwith.UUCP (Snoopy T. Beagle) (11/28/88)

In article <52@gnome6.pa.dec.com> vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) writes:

|The 375, for those who don't know it, is a 32016/2MB/10MHz/0-wait box with
|a WD1002-05 controller that has room for two 48/96TPI 5.25" floppies and
|three ST506/412 drives (1024 cylinders/drive max, though).  All in a box
|the size of a very small suitcase.  4 serial ports, 38KB max.  Ethernet and
|SCSI are recent options.  It has a 32081 and 082, with NSC's TCU but a custom
|PAL for the interrupt control.

|It's a cute box, but it's slow.  The name "375" comes of having half the
|power of a Vax 750 (no kidding!) which means it has about 0.25 VAX MIPS.
|Dhrystone results bear this out.

Something doesn't compute here.  For most things, a 32016/10Mhz box is
roughly the same as a VAX 750, not 1/2 of it.  Have you run other benchmarks?
Dhrystones are a really poor benchmark, IMHO.
    _____
   /_____\    Snoopy
  /_______\
    |___|     tektronix!tekecs!sopwith!snoopy
    |___|     sun!nosun!illian!sopwith!snoopy

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul A Vixie) (11/29/88)

[Snoopy]
# Something doesn't compute here.  For most things, a 32016/10Mhz box is
# roughly the same as a VAX 750, not 1/2 of it.  Have you run other benchmarks?
# Dhrystones are a really poor benchmark, IMHO.

If you ask it to calculate floating point stuff, it's about equal to a 750
without an FP750 (i.e., 750 running floating point emulation).  If you ask it
to sort integers, it's about 70% of a 750.  If you ask it to do lots of
procedure calls, it's about 70% of a 750.  If you run a tight loop doing
arithmetic on some registers, it's about 70% or 80%.

If you put two users on both machines, running VI or JOVE, it's about half a
750.  If you put four users on them, it's about 10% of a 750 on a per-user
basis.

Half a 750 seems about right to me after using both for extended periods of
time.
--

gregw@otc.oz (Greg Wilkins) (11/30/88)

in article <67@sopwith.UUCP>, snoopy@sopwith.UUCP (Snoopy T. Beagle) says:

> |It's a cute box, but it's slow.  The name "375" comes of having half the
> |power of a Vax 750 (no kidding!) which means it has about 0.25 VAX MIPS.
> |Dhrystone results bear this out.
>
> Something doesn't compute here.  For most things, a 32016/10Mhz box is
> roughly the same as a VAX 750, not 1/2 of it.  Have you run other benchmarks?
> Dhrystones are a really poor benchmark, IMHO.

While Dhrystones may not reflect all styles of computing, at least they are
deterministic.  Who knows what a MIP is? I feel that the MIP bench mark
lost all meaning when it was discovered that 1 VAX MIP = 0.5 Mythical MIPs,
and some people use machine dependant MIPs, some use VAX MIPs but only say
MIPs, Some say VAX MIPs and mean what we thought a VAX MIP was and some
say VAX MIPs and mean what a VAX MIP really is????????????????

Anyway, to the point. I while ago, I saw a posting asking for detailed
information on drystones achieved by any 32K system.  Has that list been
posted??  Who was it that was doing the collection?

Greg Wilkins     ACSnet: gregw@otc.oz    UUCP:  {uunet,mcvax}!otc.oz!gregw
231 Elizabeth    Ph O/S: +612 287 4862   Snail: GPO Box 7000,
Sydney, NSW.     Fax:    (02) 287 4990          Sydney 2001, Australia