[comp.sys.nsc.32k] old Tektronix 32000 workstations...

ken@gatech.edu (Ken Seefried III) (02/21/89)

I am interested in getting information about the old Tektronix
workstations based on the 32016.  These machines date from the
early-mid '80s.  I have talked to several present users and they seem
to be a pretty good, if slow box.

Looks like a good bet for a cheap 32000 based unix box running honest
to god BSD 4.2 unix.  Tektronix *still* supports them and they are
availible through Tektronix reconditioned sales with a new product
warrenty.

E-mail the info...I will summarise if there is interest.

   ...ken seefried iii
      ken@gatech.edu

neighorn@qiclab.UUCP (Steve Neighorn) (02/26/89)

In article <17967@gatech.edu> ken@gatech.edu (Ken Seefried III) writes:
>I am interested in getting information about the old Tektronix
>workstations based on the 32016.  These machines date from the
>early-mid '80s.  I have talked to several present users and they seem
>to be a pretty good, if slow box.
>
>Looks like a good bet for a cheap 32000 based unix box running honest
>to god BSD 4.2 unix.  Tektronix *still* supports them and they are
>availible through Tektronix reconditioned sales with a new product
>warrenty.

Well... it depends on the system. Tektronix doesn't really support the 62xx
boxes as far as repair, spare parts, software upgrades, bug fixes, new
manuals, or any of the other miscellaneous things that fall under the
realm of support. The 6200 line has lived on because the machines are still
used internally (though in rapidly dwindling numbers) and because they warm
the living rooms and dens of many current and former employees, and other
people lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time.

A local group called UTUG (UTek User's Group) offers support in the form
of knowledgeable hardware and software people, a software library, a BBS
and source depository, and a sympathetic support network. UTUG is not
officially affiliated with Tektronix, though we do meet in one of their
cafeterias and most of the members (membership is loosely defined as anyone
who comes to a meeting) are current or former Tektronix employees. Why UTUG
even has its own local newsgroup!

Good luck in your search for information.
--
Steven C. Neighorn           !tektronix!{psu-cs,nosun,ogccse}!qiclab!neighorn
Sun Microsystems, Inc.      "Where we DESIGN the Star Fighters that defend the