[comp.sys.nsc.32k] various unresolved issues.

jkh@meepmeep.pcs.com (Jordan K. Hubbard) (05/07/90)

I was feeling especially masochistic this weekend and decided to
re-read the entire pc532 mailing list archive. It's amazing how
many questions I've posted to this group that had already been
answered somewhere in the mists of time. Sigh. It's a pity that the "FM"
is almost 3 megabytes now or I'd have been more willing to RTFM (but that's
still no excuse, I guess).

Anyway, that's all off the subject. After reading all those messages, I
started wondering about a number of issues that seemed to have slipped
between the cracks:

*** On the hardware front: ***

Ken S. was talking about a DSP board, whatever became of that?

Is anyone working on, or planning to work on, a decent intelligent frame
buffer card? This seems like it would be a mondo priority. Given that
I'm a software type, I'm in the position of having to plead and whine
for this stuff and hope that some hardware jock gets irritated enough
to knock something out just to shut me up :-). Still, give me the hardware,
I'll give you an R4 server.

What's the story on the eth532 card? I've seen one message saying that
it supports only thin ethernet and another saying that it supports both
thin-and-thick. What's the truth, here? G&D: Have you guys done a
complete parts cost estimate yet? I want one.

*** On the software front: ***

How's Minix coming along? I can't help but (humorously) remember
a certain quote from Bruce in <8912081857.AA01037@hplwbc.HPL.HP.COM>
on Fri, 8 Dec 89 10:57:10 pst:

>I would guess that a one weekend effort would get Minix running on the
>pc-532.

Ah, the simple naivete of youth! :-) (just kidding Bruce, really!)

I really think it's time that we starting thinking in a more "consortium"
like fashion on the Unix front. I realize that many of us have different
goals and ideas about which Unix would be "best", but there's still
a whole lot of common work that can be shared and ideas that can be exchanged.
I, for example, am working on porting 4.3 and am currently going through
the painful first steps of getting stand-alone versions of mkfs/fsck and
friends working as I proceed towards getting a root file system w/simple
stand-alone kernel booted up. This will naturally be the first step for
many others as well, regardless of the unix in question. The same commonality
will occur with the MMU code, scsi device and terminal drivers, etc etc.
If we can manage to stay in close communication (probably via private
mailing lists to avoid lots of nitty-specific issues from clogging this
list), we can arrange things so as to minimize wheel re-inventing wherever
possible. I have already attempted something along these lines with the
libso/libc libs I posted recently, though they are certainly no more than a
rough start. Lest I be accused of being all talk and no action, I'm willing to
set up and coordinate all this myself if no one else steps forward. We
(software developers) really have quite a massive amount of work ahead of
us and could reap significant benefits from each others work, if only
someone would take the time to properly coordinate it (having everyone
think more in terms of writing "building blocks" rather than quick
just-make-it-work hacks would also be a major boon). Are 90% of us just
sitting around staring owlishly at our boards, or what? Some of us have
had working boards for months and I have yet to see even one program to
pong the friggin' lights back and forth! That is a disgrace! :-)

					Jordan

culberts@hplwbc.hpl.hp.com (Bruce Culbertson) (05/08/90)

> *** On the software front: ***
>
> How's Minix coming along? I can't help but (humorously) remember
> a certain quote from Bruce in <8912081857.AA01037@hplwbc.HPL.HP.COM>
> on Fri, 8 Dec 89 10:57:10 pst:
>
> >I would guess that a one weekend effort would get Minix running on the
> >pc-532.

Oh well, I knew at the time that was a dumb thing to say.  It's
always better to do something and then say you did it.  However,
in my defense...  I just spent my second weekend at home since
November.  The first weekend was consumed getting the monitor to talk
to my OMTI SCSI to floppy/ST-506 interface.  This was prerequisite
to working on Minix.

I finally got some time to work on Minix this weekend.  Those UART's
are a pain in the arse to use -- I wasted a lot of time getting
the TTY task working.  I got the kernel running (no fs or mm yet)
but still have stubs for the SCSI driver and the page manipulation
routines.  I compiled a few test versions with some hard-wired "user"
processes.  One test checked out the TTY driver.  Another had two
processes which passed a token (really a Minix message) back and
forth.  The current token holder printed a string to the screen
and then sent the token back to the other process.  Hence, the
screen looked like

	process 1
	process 2
	process 1

That's even less useful than printing pi to 10,000 places, eh?
I'm pretty sure I will not get any more time to work on Minix in the
next two weeks.  But then (here comes another soon-to-be-regretted
statement), I expect to see a Minix login after another weekend
of work.

Bruce

ian@sibyl.eleceng.ua.oz.au (05/09/90)

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:
 > *** On the software front: ***
 >
 > How's Minix coming along? I can't help but (humorously) remember
 > a certain quote from Bruce in <8912081857.AA01037@hplwbc.HPL.HP.COM>
 > on Fri, 8 Dec 89 10:57:10 pst:
 >
 > >I would guess that a one weekend effort would get Minix running on the
 > >pc-532.
 >
 > Ah, the simple naivete of youth! :-) (just kidding Bruce, really!)

Yes. Then there were the estimates of time to port GCC to a TMS340x0
and write an X server. I usually stay quiet when people say such
things because I know *I* couldn't do it in that time! Maybe there
really are people that can code an order of magnitude faster than I,
but more likely they are underestimating the size of the job.
Apparantly the tendency to grossly underestimate the size of a
software task is a recognised failing of the whole profession!

 > I really think it's time that we starting thinking in a more "consortium"
 > like fashion on the Unix front. I realize that many of us have different
 > goals and ideas about which Unix would be "best", but there's still
 > a whole lot of common work that can be shared and ideas that can be exchanged.
 > I, for example, am working on porting 4.3 and am currently going through
 > the painful first steps of getting stand-alone versions of mkfs/fsck and
 > friends working as I proceed towards getting a root file system w/simple
 > stand-alone kernel booted up.

I would be very interested in this. Whilst one still needs a AT&T
licence for BSD, the amount of code which has been freed has been
increased. My guess is that the machine dependent stuff would be under
the freed category (AT&T didn't have anything to do with the BSD VM
system for example). You should still be able to make diffs available
for any files still restricted. What are you using as the starting
point? The Tahoe release?

 > Lest I be accused of being all talk and no action, I'm willing to
 > set up and coordinate all this myself if no one else steps forward. We
 > (software developers) really have quite a massive amount of work ahead of
 > us and could reap significant benefits from each others work, if only
 > someone would take the time to properly coordinate it (having everyone
 > think more in terms of writing "building blocks" rather than quick
 > just-make-it-work hacks would also be a major boon).

I have a major aversion to reinventing wheels. I did a lot of work on
the gnu stuff and lo and behold, it seems that others were also
working on the same thing. (I have been using GCC for a long time on
my ICM, but the gas and binutils work was motivated primarilly by the
pc532).

So, I think we need a list of tasks and who is working on them. The
tasks don't have to be universally agreed. If you want to work on a
foobar that no one else wants, then who are we to say don't? But, at
least register the fact that you are working on foobar just in case
someone else decides to do the same. The list of tasks would, I
expect, have some entries with no one assigned to them and anyone who
feels so motivated might pick up some of these.

 > Are 90% of us just
 > sitting around staring owlishly at our boards, or what? Some of us have
 > had working boards for months ...

I wish I did! Parts supply is a problem here in the backwaters.

Just to kick off, I am happy to continue to maintain (and merge in
anyone elses bug-fixes and enhancements) the ports of the gnu tools.
I don't expect to have a lot of time to devote in the next 5 months
or so (a thesis to be done) but I am interested in getting the GDB
remote debugging support working and added to the ROM monitor. I am
currently hampered by not having a complete board, but that should
cease to be a problem soon.

	Software Task					Workers 	Status
        -------------					-------		------
	GCC Port					     ID	       Working
	GDB Port					     ID	       Working
        GDB Remote debugging support			     ID	   Not started
            GDB has support for remote debugging over
	    a serial line.  It requires some code at
	    the remote end.  The standard GNU
	    distribution only has such code for a 68K.
	    Equivalent code for the 32k needs to be
	    developed.
	GDB Support for Cross Debugging			     *
	    GDB does not support reading symbolic
	    information from little endian
	    executables on a big endian machine. This
	    is desirable in a cross development
	    environment.
	GAS Port					    ID	     Working
	GNU LD and other Binutils Port			    ID	     Working
	GNU AR Cross Development Support		     *
	    AR does not support reading symbolic
	    information from little endian
	    object files on a big endian machine. This
	    is desirable in a cross development
	    environment.
	GNU RANLIB Cross Development Support		     *
	    RANLIB does not support reading symbolic
	    information from little endian
	    object files on a big endian machine. This
	    is desirable in a cross development
	    environment.
	GNU NM Cross Development Support		     *
	    NM does not support reading symbolic
	    information from little endian object
	    files and executables on a big endian
	    machine. This is desirable in a cross
	    development environment.
	GNU STRIP Cross Development Support		    *
	    STRIP does not support reading symbolic
	    information from little endian
	    execuatbles on a big endian machine. This
	    is desirable in a cross development
	    environment.

It would be an ideal thing for emacs outline mode. The organisation
of the above could be improved no doubt. It would probably be good to
have a section for each program or package of interrelated programs
and make the Software Tasks subsection.  Maybe as well as a list of
workers for each task we need a coodinator for each package, but
appointing one might be too bureaucratic.  I'd suggest a key matching
initials with email address at the end of the list.  The '*' is used
to indicate no one has registered that they are working on it. I
think someone *has* done at least some of the cross development stuff
but I am not sure who. The simplest thing is probably to leave
coordination on a single package up to those working on it. If you
maintain such a list at least we will *know* who are working on it. I
would appreciate any changes to the GNU tools (especially if they are
based on my patches, reported back to me).

Ian Dall