[comp.sys.nsc.32k] PC532 open/close/read/write standalone I/O system

news@daver.bungi.com (06/02/90)

I've been working on a standalone I/O system, but as I don't have my
board up yet (!!) I have not been able to test it on bare metal.  I'd
be interested in having a few brave souls shake some bugs out!  It can
be found on BU.EDU in ~ftp/users/budd/32k/PC532/IO/Part0[123]

	-Phil

Here is the README;

Here is a first pass and a full scale standalone I/O system for the
PC532.  It has NOT yet been tested running on real hardware (I'm still
missing some parts!).

It features;
*	a sgtty subset interface for ttys
*	uses 4.3 Tahoe style disklabel
*	several disks/partitions can be open at once.
*	the ability to read files from Minix filesystems.
*	open/close/read/write/ioctl/lseek
*	overkill: dup/dup2

Missing;
*	stdio functions!!!
*	Device Initialization (esp for a SASI floppy ctlr etc)
*	ioctl's for disk label (keep labels in core)
*	ioctl's for formatting!!

bugs/features;
*	sgtty state is per FD (not device!!)
*	Superblock is at (1k!) block 1.  This is dumb.
	it should be at block zero and the boot block and label
	should be accessed using the raw disk (partition 0).

The intended use is for boot roms, secondary bootstraps, standalone
copy, mkfs, and other disk utilities.

pathname syntax;

tt(n)		where n is 1-8 ie; tt(0)

sd(c,u,l,p)	raw disk, ctrlr c, unit u, lun l, partition p
		partition 0 is magic, and always the entire raw disk.

The default is sd(1,0,0,0) (the DP8490 unit 0 lun 0 raw partition)

If the partition contains a filesystem (only minix currently
supported) then a filename may follow (no leading slash needed);
sd(1,1,0,0)minix

(perhaps unit and lun should be encoded into a single value the way
sun does (ie; unit*8 + lun)??)

Jim.Thompson@Central.Sun.COM (Jim Thompson) (06/02/90)

   From: daver!mips!bu-it.BU.EDU!budd@Sun.COM
   Date:  Fri, 1 Jun 90 18:21:40 EDT

   I've been working on a standalone I/O system, but as I don't have my
   board up yet (!!) I have not been able to test it on bare metal.  I'd
   be interested in having a few brave souls shake some bugs out!  It can
   be found on BU.EDU in ~ftp/users/budd/32k/PC532/IO/Part0[123]

[...]

   (perhaps unit and lun should be encoded into a single value the way
   sun does (ie; unit*8 + lun)??)

Sun is trying not to do this anymore....

Jim