[comp.sys.nsc.32k] New CPUs from National

levy@nsc.nsc.com (Jonathan Levy) (06/07/90)

In article <m0hcn8v-0000o2C@vw25.chips.com> gs@vw25.chips.com (George Scolaro) writes:

>Why not tell us more about the new chips - I wont even call it advertising!
>Besides, I'm sure you're dying to.....
>
>thanks,

Well, you twisted my arm :-) ...

I will try to summarize the main points regarding the recent (may 23rd)
announcement from NSC.

Three new processors were announced: The 32CG160, the 32FX16 (both
based on CG16 cores), and the 32GX320 (based on the GX32 core). As
you well know the main thrust of the Series 32000 (now called
Series 32000/EP) is the embedded market with emphasis on office
imaging peripherals. We call this market 'desktop imaging' and it
includes (but is not limited to) printers, faxes, scanners.

The CG160 was designed with the purpose of further reducing the cost
of PostScript laser beam printers in the 4 - 8 ppm range and PCL
printers. This was done by adding to the basic CG16 core
several H/W modules which reduce system cost and also improve the
performance in certain (printer specific) areas. These are:

   - 2 Channel DMA controller
   - 3 timer/counters (which can also be used to generate pulse
     width modulated signals).
   - 15 level prioritized interrupt controller
   - BitBLT unit which significantly improves the performance of
     some of the low level bitmap manipulation operations. This
     is especially important for PCL type printers.
   - H/W multiplier

Other than these additions, the CG160 is fully S/W compatable to
the CG16 (which itself is compatable to the rest of the 32k with
exception of the graphic instructions).

The real innovation in the recent announcement, however, is in the
other two parts, the FX16 and the GX320.

The FX16 was developed to penetrate the emerging (and exploding)
FAX market. It is based on the CG16 core, and as such is fully
compatable to the CG16 (including all graphic instructions). It
does not include any on-chip peripherals. Instead it includes
a special purpose DSP module. This module implemets *just* enough
of the DSP functionality to make it ideal for the FAX modem
implementation. The concept behind the FX16 definiton was not to build a
DSP chip (there are enough of those), but rather to come up with
an embedded processor with enough general purpose computation
power to implement traditional CPU intensive tasks *and* sufficient
DSP power to implement the modem functions of a 9600 baud fax.

The result is a processor that can perform all office peripheral
functions in S/W alone (what is begining to be called the Multi
Functional Office Peripheral). This capability was demonstrated
at our launch by combining PostScript (compatable) PDL, a full
fledged 9600 baud fax, Voice Mail functions, and preview capability.
By combining all these, we also landed with a plain paper fax
(or laser fax).

I hope the above didn't sound *too* much like a commercial, but I
wanted to convey some of the uniqueness to you 32k'ers out there.

The GX320 is based on the GX32 core, and is also targetted at the
Multi-Functional market in addition to the more 'conventional'
applications such as mid-range printers, FAX servers, Communication
servers (Ethernet & FDDI), and others. It is capable of the
same S/W integration as its smaller brother, the FX16, but
has much more general purpose power. This makes it possible
to support many applications simultaneously.

Some technical info on the GX320:

  - GX32 core ( 0.5k Instruction Cache, 1k Data Cache, 4 Stage
    pipeline etc. In fact, it has all the on-chip goodies of
    the 32532 except MMU and the H/W cache coherency techniques.)
  - H/W multiplier (reduces a MULD to 11 cycles from 37)
  - Performance of certain instructions were improved:
    Set Bit and Clear Bit reduced from 15 to 9 cycles
    Test Bit reduced from 11 to 7 cycles
    Index reduced from 43 to 16 cycles
    Arithmetic Shift (left) reduced from 9 to 5 cycles
  - 4 new *complex arithmetic* instructions were added.
    These use the H/W multiplier in pipeline:
    A complex multiply accumulate ( which requires 4 multiplies and
    2 additions) takes only 12 cycles.
    This makes the S/W implementation of a modem possible.
  - 2 DMA channels on chip
  - 15 level prioritized interrupt controller on chip
  - 3 timer/counters on chip

As with the FX16, the GX320 is not targetted at pure DSP applications.
These can be implemented with conventional DSP chips (such as the
56001, TMS32C25, TMSC050 etc.) which can have better DSP performance.
The GX320, however, can do what none of the above can do: It can
implemet Postscript (5x - 10x NTX), and at the same time, with no
extra DSP H/W, perform all functions required from a FAX.

By including on the FX16 and GX320 just enough DSP capability to
perform the most common DSP functions, the user has the option of
adding/changing/enahcing filter characteristics in S/W.
This opens the possibility for someone who uses the chips to start off
with a low end FAX, for example, and then add voice cabability,
data modem capability, and Postscript. All this with no change to
his H/W platform.

Price and availability :
Samples of all the parts are available NOW. Production later this
year.

All prices in 1000 Quantity

CG160   15Mhz	38.90
	20Mhz	40.70
	25Mhz	48.40

FX16	15Mhz	31.20
	20Mhz	33.60
	25Mhz	40.80

GX320	20Mhz	135.70
	25Mhz	155.25
	30Mhz	224.25

If anyone wants more info please send me e-mail and I will try
to respond personally. If there are more general queries, I will
post a response through the net.

Jonathan