[comp.sys.nsc.32k] Getting hard disks for all those parts we have bought.

jonb@vector.dallas.tx.us (Jon Buller) (06/29/90)

Well, now that the pc532 parts kits are headed all over the world from
the NorthEast... (BIG round of applause for Steve)  Has anyone given
thought to the idea of a group buy on hard disks.  I was thinking about
a Micropolis (1570, I think) 5.25" half height 340MB SCSI drive.  That
way I can put it inside either my Mac or my pc532...  A quote for a
SINGLE drive from a local distributor was about $1300, but I think that
20 or 30 would bring the price down quite a bit.  There was a 720MB full
height drive that was quoted at about $2110, too.  Anyway I am open to
suggestions on what people would like and if there is demand for this.
I have also thought some people from comp.sys.mac might want to get in
on this for their Mac II's (but then we are restricted to 5 inch half
height or 3.25" drives (if we want to include the IIc? and SE* people).
So, what do you think???

Jon Buller       jonb@vector.dallas.tx.us       ..!texbell!vector!jonb
FROM Fortune IMPORT Quote;             FROM Lawyers IMPORT Disclaimer;

cruff@ncar.ucar.edu (Craig Ruff) (06/29/90)

In article <m0hlKVQ-0001NPC@vector.dallas.tx.us> jonb@vector.dallas.tx.us (Jon Buller) writes:
>a Micropolis (1570, I think) 5.25" half height 340MB SCSI drive.  That
>way I can put it inside either my Mac or my pc532...  A quote for a
>SINGLE drive from a local distributor was about $1300, but I think that
>20 or 30 would bring the price down quite a bit.

I've been thinking of what hard disk to put into my pc532.  Of course, I
dream about large disks, but economic considerations mean otherwise.  I
was thinking of disks <= 100 Mb to start.  I can always add more disks
later.  Perhaps someone could recommend reliable distributors with good
prices.  Would any consider some sort of discount if we ended up buying
drives of different capacities?
--
Craig Ruff      	NCAR			cruff@ncar.ucar.edu
(303) 497-1211  	P.O. Box 3000