[comp.sys.nsc.32k] power connectors...

taylor@Think.COM (David Taylor) (07/09/90)

A couple of questions...

How is one supposed to solder the bloody power connector to the board?
I've tried and tried, and haven't managed to convince the damn thing to
go into the holes on the board.

I *did* accidentally, just a few minutes ago, manage to bend one of the
pins while trying to put it on.  Sigh.  I bent it back, but I haven't
yet checked to see if the power plug will still plug on to it.  (If I'm
looking at it correctly, it's the -5v pin.)

Also, does anyone know of a supply of the beasties?  I may need to buy
one...

David
--
David Taylor
taylor@think.com, ...{ames,bloom-beacon,harvard}!think!taylor

Steven.D.Ligett@mac.dartmouth.edu (07/09/90)

Does your power connector have square or round pins?  The square ones are a
little too big.  I've been buying the ones with round pins for the Parts Kits.
I'll be buying some more this week; I can get some for you.  If someone knows
of connectors that are square on top and round on the bottom, that would be
even better.  (The ones I'm buying for the jumpers and SCSI connectors are
like that, but I don't know of any like that for the power connectors.)

George - Could you have them use a larger drill for these holes on the next
run?  (There shouldn't be any charge for using a different drill size.)

ian@sibyl.eleceng.ua.oz.au (07/12/90)

David Taylor writes:
 > A couple of questions...
 >
 > How is one supposed to solder the bloody power connector to the board?

One is supposed to file the connector. I bought some new ones which are
not actually IBM-PC connectors (but have the same spacing). Since I
am not using a IBM-PC power supply this was no problem for me.

Ian Dall

dlr@daver.bungi.com (Dave Rand) (07/12/90)

[In the message entitled "power connectors..." on Jul  9,  2:12, David Taylor writes:]
> How is one supposed to solder the bloody power connector to the board?
> I've tried and tried, and haven't managed to convince the damn thing to
> go into the holes on the board.
You need to file down the pins to fit... George did post about that,
or so I thought...

> Also, does anyone know of a supply of the beasties?  I may need to buy
> one...
They are bloody hard to get. If you can't find them, let me know and
I'll get you a part number.

--
Dave Rand
{pyramid|mips|sun|vsi1}!daver!dlr	Internet: dlr@daver.bungi.com

ajee@cadev4.intel.com (Alvin Jee ~) (07/13/90)

Howdy All!
  Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the power connectors plain ol'
Molex things? You can get those at Fry's (in Santa Clara, California
that is). I had some 2-pin ones with the square terminals and tried
it out to see if it fit in the holes and they worked fine. Maybe I just
got lucky with that one :).
  Anybody know where I can get a socket for the 32532? Nobody seems to
have any PGA sockets that big. I'm even thinking about buying individual
pin sockets and soldering them in one at a time (not too fun, I'm sure).
		Alvin Jee  alvin@saturn.ucsc.edu

dlr@daver.bungi.com (Dave Rand) (07/14/90)

[In the message entitled "Re: power connectors..." on Jul 12, 18:27, Alvin Jee ~ writes:]
>   Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the power connectors plain ol'
> Molex things? You can get those at Fry's (in Santa Clara, California
> that is). I had some 2-pin ones with the square terminals and tried
> it out to see if it fit in the holes and they worked fine. Maybe I just
> got lucky with that one :).

They are (or can be) Molex connectors, but they are not plain ol' ones...
The square posts have to be the correct size for the power supply, and
such. Close enough is near enough, though.

>   Anybody know where I can get a socket for the 32532? Nobody seems to
> have any PGA sockets that big. I'm even thinking about buying individual
> pin sockets and soldering them in one at a time (not too fun, I'm sure).

We got the first run from a local company that. They were custom-made
sockets. You may want to check with Steve Ligett to see if he has some
spare sockets...

--

news@daver.bungi.com (07/14/90)

> >   Anybody know where I can get a socket for the 32532? Nobody seems to
> > have any PGA sockets that big. I'm even thinking about buying individual
> > pin sockets and soldering them in one at a time (not too fun, I'm sure).

[ Dave Rand replies]

> We got the first run from a local company that. They were custom-made
> sockets. You may want to check with Steve Ligett to see if he has some
> spare sockets...

Assuming the PGA socket holes are large enough to accept a 0.025 square
wire-wrap post, you could easily construct the socket using 1 x 20
breakable wire-wrap machine sockets.  A while back I got a bunch of these
from Advanced Component Electronics (ACE) in San Jose (1-408-287-2910).

In hindsite, I wish I had used these to socket (or perhaps more
accurately double-socket) the PLCC chips.  This opens the door to
possibly lifting a DUART, for example, and cabling in some other
IO circuit.

johnc