[comp.sys.nsc.32k] Document Scanner

news@daver.bungi.com (06/05/90)

Document Scanner Idea/Proposal (ds532)
---------------------------------------

First let me make clear that I personally do not have the time to assume
responsibility for the design and implementation of this proposal !
Therefore, even if there is a strong interest, the realization will require
a hardware type to step forward and volunteer to do the electronic design.

The idea is to use an existing fully functional surplus document scanner
module and add to it the necessary control electronics and SCSI interface.
This is a high-end scanner module which is self-contained and housed in
attractive plastic casework.  The scanner module contains an automatic
document feeder, 400 dpi optical section, liquid crystal display (LCD)
assembly, keyboard assembly, and a 3.5 inch floppy disk.  The electrical
connections to the module are through three interface connectors.  It's size
is 23" wide by 22' deep by 5.75" height, exclusive of a document receiver
tray which can be attached to the left hand side of the module.

Let me emphasize again, this is a very high-end scanner which is
a self contained module and wrapped in attractive casework.  The resolution
is 400 dpi and the throughput is 18 pages per minute for 8.5 x 11
inch pages.

Scanner Module:
--------------

The keyboard has 46 keys arranged like an ordinary typewriter.  Four keys
control a cursor and five keys are used for special functions.  The five
keys are "enter", "yes", "no", "stop", and "blank".  The keyboard
assembly is located along the front top surface and also includes
three LED indicators (on, autoprint, alarm), and a screen contrast
control slide lever.  The keyboard matrix is converted to scan codes by a
8042 processor.

The LCD has a resolution of 128 x 380 pixels. Using 10x8 pixel characters
this corresponds to a 12 line by 60 character display.  The display is
located on the rear top surface.  The contrast can be adjusted by changing
the tilt of the LCD assembly or varying the contract control level mention
previously.  The LCD has a backlight.

The document hopper can hold up to 50 documents.  Oversize documents
up to 11x14 inches may be scanned by opening up the paper guides.  This
actuates a microswitch which in turn causes a 25 percent reduction of
the image in order to fit an 8.5 inch width.  Carrier sheets are
used to scan documents smaller than 8.5 x 11 inches.

The optical assembly is cast aluminum fixture containing a mirror, and lens.
The lens focuses the image onto a 4096 element charged couple device (CCD)
mounted on a pixel processing circuit board.  This pixel processing board
is quite sophisticated and includes an automatic shading equalizer,
dither signal processor for half tone documents, and skewing
depending on 'light', 'normal', 'dark' and 'half tone' modes input
from the keyboard.  The CCD is shifted out to a 256 level A/D converted
and stored in a 4089 x  8 bit line buffer.  The line buffer is then
processed applying various corrections and then converted to analog via
a 16 level D/A converter.

The unit also contains a mechanical interface circuit board which routes
signals, provides stepper motor control, and drive buffering to the
LED's and speaker.  Also a power unit contains a DC-DC converter to
provide +5VDC and +12VDC power.  The power unit also inverts the
+24VDC to supply high-frequency high-voltage power to light the
scanner fluorescent lamp.

CODEC board:
-----------

As you may have noted the image signal out of the scanner module is analog.
It just so happens that a matching CODEC (coder-decoder) board is
also available.  In other words a complete SCSI interface scanner system
would include the scanner module, a CODEC board, a custom design
glue board and a power supply.

The codec board contains the following:  frame memory (2 Megabyte),
memory interface, printer interface, coder/decoder, and buffer.

The scanner image signal is converted to a digital voltage of 8 bits
per byte, buffered into 2 bytes, and written 16 bits at time into
the frame memory.  The memory interface can also on read convert
the 16 bit data to 8-bit parallel output, or serial output.  In
addition the coder/decoder can optionally compress/decompress the
image using CCITT run-length encoding (ie GROUP IV, 400 x 400 dpi
or GROUP III, 200 x 200 dpi).  The coder/decoder is implemented in
hardware using an AMD 2900 processor.

As I envision it, the CODEC, glue circuit board and power supply
would be located under the scanner module, adding perhaps 1.5 to
2.0 inches to the overall height of the scanner.  It just so
happens that the scanner module was design to sit on top of a
open top cabinet.

Almost forgot, the CODEC board frame memory (64 - 256K x 1 DRAM)
was removed during the period of high memory prices. Otherwise,
the boards are complete.

Cost of Scanner module and CODEC board:
--------------------------------------

Would you believe:

	Qty		Approximate Cost (excluding shipping)
	---		------------------------------------
	1		$200
	50 		$125

Of course this does not include the cost of the glue board which we
must design and a power power supply.

It just occurred to me that the original switching power supply module may
also be available for a nominal amount.  I will check out this possibility
if sufficient interest is expressed for the overall proposal.

BTW: approximately 125 scanner modules and CODEC boards are available.

Proposal:
--------

I hope the above clearly articulates the idea.  If there is
sufficient interest AND someone volunteers to design the glue board,
then I propose that we organize a group purchase BEFORE the board is
designed.  Reason, the scanner modules may not be available when the
board design is complete.

Of course the down-side to this proposal is that the glue board may never
materialize.  But I submit the exposure of say $125 plus shipping
is a reasonable risk considering the possible up-side benefits.

Background:
-----------

The scanner is from a Federal Express IPS-3 fax station.  The fax
station comprised the scanner, laser printer, electronics module
and floor standing cabinet.  Unfortunately, the complete fax station
is no longer available.

I have a complete IPS-3 fax station excluding modem, but including
maintence level documentation.  The documentation includes schematics,
parts list, and theory of operation.

So far I have only been using it as a copier, and I might add
the copy quality is excellent.  As a copier, copies can  be made
in either the collate or non-collate mode.  In the collate mode
page images are first scanned to an internal harddisk (40Mb), and then
printed from disk.

I have no association with the surplus house.

Its your turn:
--------------

What do you all think ??
Any hardware types want to volunteer ??
Is there sufficient interest to move forward ??

Best regards,
johnc		email:  tarpit!manatee!johnc

--

ian@sibyl.eleceng.ua.oz.au (06/13/90)

John Connin writes:

 > Document Scanner Idea/Proposal (ds532)
 > ---------------------------------------
 >
 > First let me make clear that I personally do not have the time to assume
 > responsibility for the design and implementation of this proposal !
 > Therefore, even if there is a strong interest, the realization will require
 > a hardware type to step forward and volunteer to do the electronic design.
 >
 > The idea is to use an existing fully functional surplus document scanner
 > module and add to it the necessary control electronics and SCSI interface.
 > This is a high-end scanner module which is self-contained and housed in
 > attractive plastic casework.

I like the idea, but I have no time to spend on development for the
forseeable future.

Ian Dall

john@starfire.UUCP (John Lind) (06/14/90)

Note!  To avoid the line-counter, I am quoting with # instead of >.

# ---------------------------------------
# Let me emphasize again, this is a very high-end scanner which is
# a self contained module and wrapped in attractive casework.  The resolution
# is 400 dpi and the throughput is 18 pages per minute for 8.5 x 11
# inch pages.
# Almost forgot, the CODEC board frame memory (64 - 256K x 1 DRAM)
# was removed during the period of high memory prices. Otherwise,
# the boards are complete.
#
# Cost of Scanner module and CODEC board:
# --------------------------------------
# Would you believe:
# 	Qty		Approximate Cost (excluding shipping)
# 	---		------------------------------------
# 	1		$200
# 	50 		$125
#
# Of course this does not include the cost of the glue board which we
# must design and a power power supply.
# What do you all think ??
# Any hardware types want to volunteer ??
# Is there sufficient interest to move forward ??

At that price, I don't CARE about a glue board -- give me parallel
input data, no problem.  I'd LOVE to have a scanner like that, and
see no particular reason that it should have to have a SCSI interface.
Of course, you fellows with PC532s are a little short of bi-directional
or input parallel ports -- too bad (small smirk).

Let me make this clear: I WANT ONE, and I intend to interface it to
my archaic Multibus I ns32016 system using one of my $7.50 i517
parallel IO boards.  That amount of hardware bashing I can handle.
If anyone wants help with the glue to do that amount of interfacing,
I can help.  But, whether or not a SCSI interface is designed, I have
no use for it, but I want one of these scanners at $200 if I have to,
or for $125 if I can.  Then, it's off to the library to learn about
document scanning software...

Well, I hope I have provided enough "original" text to make the line
counter happy, or I'm gonna be mad when it throws this away...

Oops!  Didn't make it -- let's try using a different "quote"
character...
--
		   John Lind, Starfire Consulting Services
E-mail: john@starfire.MN.ORG		USnail: PO Box 13001, Mpls MN  55414

KENYEE@s49.prime.com (07/24/90)

Where do you get this optical scanner surplus at such a low price??

  Ken