[comp.sys.nsc.32k] Other hardware projects?

jkh@meepmeep.pcs.com (Jordan K. Hubbard) (09/06/90)

Back in the heady days of the first boards, many interesting ideas were
bandied about for much needed PC532 peripherals. My two faves were the
Moto 56000 DSP board and the i860 intelligent frame buffer. Whatever
happened to these?

Just curious.. I'm well aware of how wide the gap between wanting to do
something and actually having the time to do it (as is evidenced by the
virtual standstill our BSD porting project has come to). Still, it would
be real nice to get a frame buffer at some point.

					Jordan

news@daver.bungi.com (09/06/90)

I was wondering when someone was going to ask about the
56001 stuff...

I have made quite a bit of progress on it, even getting
another (more hardware type) person helping me.  However, I
had to put it on hold because of school, big job change and
a project coming up that was going to pay.  It has not been
forgotten though.  I am going to finish building my pc532
before I pick it up again.

Enjoy...

bdale@col.hp.com (Bdale Garbee) (09/06/90)

> Back in the heady days of the first boards, many interesting ideas were
> bandied about for much needed PC532 peripherals. My two faves were the
> Moto 56000 DSP board and the i860 intelligent frame buffer. Whatever
> happened to these?

Dunno.  I've talked to Dave and George about a frame buffer based on Intel
and C&T silicon, but as much as I'd like to work on it, I really don't have
time right now... or any time soon.

> Just curious.. I'm well aware of how wide the gap between wanting to do
> something and actually having the time to do it (as is evidenced by the
> virtual standstill our BSD porting project has come to). Still, it would
> be real nice to get a frame buffer at some point.

Yes, very nice!  In the meantime, I've got several renditions of a block
diagram for what I call the "Kitchen Sink Card" on my CAD system.  The intent
is to make a really cheap do-all card to provide a set of standard, stupid
interfaces that I need that aren't on the pc532.  Things like Centronics
parallel printer ports, a LAN interface, a floppy interface, etc.  My favorite
scheme so far involves an NEC V50, 1Meg of DRAM, 2 byte-wide ROM sockets that
overlay the top of RAM space to provide either a bootloader or a full set of
firmware depending on the size parts you want to use and your attitude... 2
Centronics ports, thin LAN, floppy, SCSI to talk to the bus, and the serial
port on the V50 brought out for a debugger interface.  As much as I hate the
80X86 architecture, I've got the tools and loads of embedded system runtime
code lying around, and a ready source of cheap V50's.  Plus, the part has all
kinds of really neat stuff onboard.  Personally, I believe that for this kind
of interface card, the V40/V50 provide lots of bang for the buck.

Whether I'll ever find time to get beyond a block diagram is very much in
doubt.  But, it's fun to think about...  :-)

Bdale

rmf@lll-winken.llnl.gov (Rob Finley) (09/07/90)

I have a DSP56001 question:

Motorola published an app note for a 10 band stereo audio graphic equalizer
with the source code.  Typing in the hex code looks daunting and I don't have
a 56001 assembler.  Would you know of someone who could send me the binary
code in something I can mangle and send to an EPROM programmer?

Thanks.
-----
 "Lets go kick some Earthling butt!" -- Spaced Invaders

quintro!bpdsun1!rmf@lll-winken.llnl.gov    uunet!tiamat!quintro!bpdsun1!rmf

news@bungi.com.UUCP (09/10/90)

> I have a DSP56001 question:
>
> Motorola published an app note for a 10 band stereo audio graphic equalizer
> with the source code.  Typing in the hex code looks daunting and I don't have
> a 56001 assembler.  Would you know of someone who could send me the binary
> code in something I can mangle and send to an EPROM programmer?

If you snail-mail me a clean xerox, I'll try to scan it for you and e-mail
the ascii. 8329 ivy glen court, manassas va 22110

phil@Shiva.COM (Phil Budne) (09/11/90)

> From: lll-winken.llnl.gov!quintro!harris-bpd!rmf@bu.edu (Rob Finley)
> Subject: Re: Other hardware projects?
> Date: Thu, 6 Sep 90 16:35:46 CDT

> I have a DSP56001 question:

> Motorola published an app note for a 10 band stereo audio graphic equalizer
> with the source code.  Typing in the hex code looks daunting and I don't have
> a 56001 assembler.  Would you know of someone who could send me the binary
> code in something I can mangle and send to an EPROM programmer?

Have you checked the Motorola DSP bboard?  The microprocessor
"freeware" bboard has lots of good stuff.  I don't have the number for
either bbs on hand, but I remember that the freware bbs tells you the
number for the DSP bbs when you connect....

-Phil