[comp.sys.nsc.32k] /dev/clock

phil@Shiva.COM (Phil Budne) (09/14/90)

	From: Bruce Culbertson <culberts@xn.ll.mit.edu!ames!hplwbc.hpl.hp.com>

	Date_formatter (to be written, but trivial) converts the eight bytes
	from the real time clock chip into the mmddyyhhmmss format which
	the date command likes.  The date command would be unchanged.

I think /dev/clock should accept and return the date in "mmddyyhhmmss"
format. Down with hardware dependant formats!!

-p

FELLOWS@UNB.CA (09/14/90)

On  Thu, 13 Sep 90 16:32:56 EDT  Phil Budne <phil@Shiva.COM> writes:

> I think /dev/clock should accept and return the date in "mmddyyhhmmss"
> format. Down with hardware dependant formats!!
>
> -p
If we are going to a standard hardware independent date format,
_I_ think we should use the International Standard format
   yyyymmddhhmmss
At least that is unambiguous and who knows, there may be some pc532s
still allive in 2000.

Dave Fellows

jem@sauna.hut.fi (Johan Myreen) (09/14/90)

>From: Phil Budne <phil@Shiva.COM>
>I think /dev/clock should accept and return the date in "mmddyyhhmmss"
>format. Down with hardware dependant formats!!

I thought about that, but ended up using the same format as used in
the real time chip. An entry in the /dev directory should reflect the
hardware it is associated with, IMHO.

Anyway, I posted the patches to implement /dev/rtc yesterday. Let me
know if you have any problems with them.

--
Johan Myreen
jem@cs.hut.fi