[comp.sys.nsc.32k] one step closer...

budd@bu-it.BU.EDU (07/03/90)

I got the remaining parts I needed from Steve today

I get as far as the LEDs on, but no sign of RS232 (on terminal or
breakout).  My terminal (at vt62(!)) can be picky about control lines,
so I've jumpered 5&8 to 20 (CD&CTS to DTR) on the breakout and all the
lights on the terminal seem normal. (CTS and Carrier lit).

Here is my setup;

2 2681's installed (first and last -- U48 and U60)
serial connector on CONN3 with a 3 wire cable:
	CONN3	DB25
	3	3
	5	2
	9	7
One RS232 driver in U47
4 1Mx9 SIMMs in U6,U8,U10,U12
No 280's installed, Parity PAL not installed
No FPU installed
20MHz osc on CPU (U25)
AIC6250 and DP8490 installed
J1 between 2&3
J2 between 2&3

I've made only 1 dubious substitution (74F00) but I can't imagine this
makes any difference running at 40% of full speed.

Voltages on the +12V and +5V rails measure 12.17V and 5.11V with my
cheap digital VOM (the only test equipment I own). No external loads
(disks) on 12V.

I see about 1mm clearance between the '532 and its socket.

Steven.D.Ligett@mac.dartmouth.edu (07/07/90)

--- You wrote:
I got the remaining parts I needed from Steve today
--- end of quoted material ---
Hi, just want to make sure you've got everything you ordered.  yes??

how is the debugging going?

phil@Shiva.COM (Phil Budne) (07/17/90)

Steve wrote:
> how is the debugging going?

Better.  I have ther serial up (put two 5pf's on the 2681 XTAL)

The SCSI tests out fine, but one of my MiniScribe's is DOA.

I'm still stuck 10 MHz, but I have an offer by a friend
to help get it up to speed.

-Phil
(previously budd@bu-it.bu.edu)

Steven.D.Ligett@mac.dartmouth.edu (07/25/90)

Hello --- where is the monitor binary?  Thanks.

I got software to program my pals today!

news@daver.bungi.com (09/21/90)

Well, I just checked the a startup of my pc532 with a logic analyser.
I believe the following: 1) my previous problems were caused by using a
nv-sram that had a 32Kx8 RAM pinout instead of an EPROM pinout (oops...)
2) The nv-sram wasn't due to either it's battery or controller being bad.

These two problems have been fixed, and the pc532 now gets the correct data
out of the eprom for at least 10-15 bytes.  I now need a copy of the
image of a "float-less" monitor, I believe that loading the cfg register is
eventually putting mine in the weeds.  Is this true? or does it need to go
a LONG way to hit an fp instruction to blow it up?

George, Thanks for the help, sorry I never got back to you, but I got busy.
(finding all this out only took a few hours, mostly setting up the analyser)
It wasn't that hard, just finding a couple of simple mistakes, and the time
to look for them.

Bruce, could you send me a copy of the float-less rom image?  Thanks.

And can anyone tell me if my guess about the cfg register is correct? (I
still need to hook it up to a terminal, one wasn't handy at the moment.)
At around 300-350 cycles the data bus had FF's on it ALL the time, is this
the DRAM initialization, or is it going off in space?  Also, I pulled my
memory SIMMs from my Mac, so it is 8-bit not 9, do I just need to leave out
the parity pal, or can I leave it in, or is there some other hack that's
needed?

This all seemed general enough to post to the list, sorry if any you feel
otherwise.  I'm also sorry that this became a bit more verbose then I had
expected... excitement can do odd things to people...

--
Jon Buller       jonb@vector.dallas.tx.us       ..!texsun!vector!jonb
FROM Fortune IMPORT Quote;             FROM Lawyers IMPORT Disclaimer;

gs@vw25.chips.com (George Scolaro) (09/21/90)

[In the message entitled "one step closer..." on Sep 20, 12:07, Jon Buller writes:]

> These two problems have been fixed, and the pc532 now gets the correct data
> out of the eprom for at least 10-15 bytes.  I now need a copy of the

Sounds like you still have a problem getting code out of the EPROM.

> image of a "float-less" monitor, I believe that loading the cfg register is
> eventually putting mine in the weeds.  Is this true? or does it need to go
> a LONG way to hit an fp instruction to blow it up?

The setcfg of the FPU 'will not' cause the pc532 to hang. Accessing the FPU
later on will though - but this is a 'long' time later.

> Bruce, could you send me a copy of the float-less rom image?  Thanks.

Bruce is/will be on holidays for another couple of weeks.

> And can anyone tell me if my guess about the cfg register is correct? (I
> still need to hook it up to a terminal, one wasn't handy at the moment.)

At the very least, if things are a bit working, the AIC6250 will be accessed
and all the LEDs should be on, i.e. the outputs of the AIC6250 are 0 Volts.
This happens within the first few instructions. I thought I sent you a copy
of the first few hundred instructions or so?
If the LEDs don't light then the EPROM code is still not being executed
correctly.

> At around 300-350 cycles the data bus had FF's on it ALL the time, is this
> the DRAM initialization, or is it going off in space?  Also, I pulled my
> memory SIMMs from my Mac, so it is 8-bit not 9, do I just need to leave out
> the parity pal, or can I leave it in, or is there some other hack that's
> needed?

If you don't have 9 bit drams (for parity) then you must remove the parity
pal, otherwise you will get NMI asserted on the first parity error, which
of course will happen pretty quickly after the 532 reads dram!

regards,

--
George Scolaro (gs@vw25.chips.com)	Chips & Technologies
(408) 434-0600				3050 Zanker Road