[comp.sys.nsc.32k] CPU/FPU status

dlr@daver.bungi.com (Dave Rand) (08/27/90)

[In the message entitled "CPU/FPU status?" on Aug 26,  8:11, decwrl!uxc.cso.uiuc.edu!convex!pixel!bobm writes:]
> I haven't heard anything from you lately about the status of the CPU's
> and FPU's that you're buying.  What's going on?  How soon can I start
> asking George questions about "this signal never shows up but that
> signal looks real good"?

I'm sure many of you are wondering this. It has proven to be very
hard to get the CPU/FPU from National. The latest information
(remember, folks - I placed this order nearly three months ago)
is that I will have all of the components in hand on Wednesday.

One substitution will be made - I had ordered the PLCC version of
the FPU. We will be getting the Ceramic version (PGA), so don't
solder those PLCC sockets in...

--
Dave Rand
{pyramid|mips|bct|vsi1}!daver!dlr	Internet: dlr@daver.bungi.com

dlr@daver.bungi.com (Dave Rand) (08/30/90)

As of about 5 minutes ago, here is the status on the FPU and CPU's that
are pending...

I have 10 CPU's in my hands, and 7 FPU's. I should have the remainder of the
FPU's within a week.

Both the FPU and the CPU will be in the PGA (Pin Grid Array) package, and
both are 25 Mhz parts.

I'll ship the lot off to Steve Ligett tommorow, unless I hear different
from anyone.

I have been quoted future delivery times of <1 week for all parts concerned,
but we will not be able to get the NS32381V-25's (PLCC FPU's). All will be
in the PGA package. I think I'll play it safe and book the orders 1 month
before we need the parts... The major problem with this order was the
NS32381V parts, although it took a Looong time to figure that out!

Let me know if you have questions.

--
Dave Rand
{pyramid|mips|bct|vsi1}!daver!dlr	Internet: dlr@daver.bungi.com

templon@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon) (08/30/90)

Hi,

	What is this message about?  Is this a group order of CPU/FPU chips?
I thought (from reading earlier messages) that one just bought the board
and was left to fend for self with chips.  I am interested to know, if this
is some sort of group purchase, what the going rates are.  I was quoted a
price of $680 for the CPU alone by a local distributor today!

					Thanks (from a new reader)
						Jeff

news@daver.bungi.com (09/05/90)

Dave:

How much are 32GX32's going for?  Are the new fax processors pin compatible?
This would be for something to fill the (to be) yawning socket in the
Designer's Kit...

dlr@daver.bungi.com (Dave Rand) (09/05/90)

[In the message entitled "Re: CPU/FPU status" on Sep  4, 22:02, Rick Rodman writes:]
> How much are 32GX32's going for?  Are the new fax processors pin compatible?
> This would be for something to fill the (to be) yawning socket in the
> Designer's Kit...

I'll have to check my quote, but as I recall, the GX32's are going for
$110 each. Hold on... yup that is correct. Plus tax, of course.

I don't think that the fax processors are pin compatible - perhaps
someone from NS could make a comment.

--

reuven@nsc.nsc.com (Reuven Marko) (09/05/90)

In article <m0i9qed-00006cC@daver.bungi.com> dlr@daver.bungi.com (Dave Rand) writes:

>I don't think that the fax processors are pin compatible - perhaps
>someone from NS could make a comment.

The Imaging Group at National Semiconductor have two processors which
have DSP capabilities and can support FAX application. Both processors,
the NS32GX320 and the NS32FX16, are not pin compatible to the NS32GX32.

Regards,

--
Reuven Marko    ======    National Semiconductor Corporation
Voice: +1-(408)-721-7928  (work) fax:   +1-(408)-732-6017

chris@asylum.gsfc.nasa.gov (Chris Shenton) (09/05/90)

Sorry to bother you again, but my ignorance is complete at this point...

> > This would be for something to fill the (to be) yawning socket in the
> > Designer's Kit...
>
> I'll have to check my quote, but as I recall, the GX32's are going for
> $110 each. Hold on... yup that is correct. Plus tax, of course.

Is there a NS Designer's Kit? How pricey and what's it got? Could you give
me a brief overview of the main chips required and their prices and
availability? (It's  been looking like there's some trouble getting ahold
of some of the bugs...)

Thanks again.

news@daver.bungi.com (09/06/90)

> The Imaging Group at National Semiconductor have two processors which
> have DSP capabilities and can support FAX application. Both processors,
> the NS32GX320 and the NS32FX16, are not pin compatible to the NS32GX32.

I would appreciate a definitive answer as to when samples of the
NS32GX320, NS32CG160, and NS32FX16 be will available ??

In a message to this news group dated 29 May 90, "chaim@nsc.nsc.com
(Chaim Bendelac; National Semiconductor)" clearly stated that samples
of these chips were available.  However, my understanding via the NSC
Orlando office is they are not yet available.

johnc

John L. Connin,  tarpit!manatee!johnc

--

reuven@nsc.nsc.com (Reuven Marko) (09/06/90)

In article <9009052138.AA21994@manatee.UUCP>  writes:
#
#I would appreciate a definitive answer as to when samples of the
#NS32GX320, NS32CG160, and NS32FX16 be will available ??
#
#In a message to this news group dated 29 May 90, "chaim@nsc.nsc.com
#(Chaim Bendelac; National Semiconductor)" clearly stated that samples
#of these chips were available.  However, my understanding via the NSC
#Orlando office is they are not yet available.
#
#johnc
#
#John L. Connin,  tarpit!manatee!johnc
#
#--

Just as Chaim stated samples are available for the three processors
with different lead times. If you have problems getting them through our
Orlando office please call me at my office and I shall be able to help.

Regards,
--
Reuven Marko    ======    National Semiconductor Corporation
Voice: +1-(408)-721-7928  (work) fax:   +1-(408)-732-6017
Snail: 2900 Semiconductor Drive, M/S E-295, Santa-Clara, CA 95052, USA
UUCP: {ames!amdahl,hplabs,sun,decwrl}!nsc!reuven  Domain: reuven@nsc.nsc.com

news@daver.bungi.com (09/10/90)

Chris:

(Everybody else ignore this message, Chris didn't give his e-mail address)

> Sorry to bother you again, but my ignorance is complete at this point...
>
> > > This would be for something to fill the (to be) yawning socket in the
> > > Designer's Kit...
> >
> > I'll have to check my quote, but as I recall, the GX32's are going for
> > $110 each. Hold on... yup that is correct. Plus tax, of course.
>
> Is there a NS Designer's Kit? How pricey and what's it got? Could you give
> me a brief overview of the main chips required and their prices and

Kit includes bare board, 532 chip, socket for it, oscillator, PAL, TCU.
Board has wire-wrap area, place for Weitek or 32381 FPU, and place for
256 kb of Cypress 30 ns static RAM, two serial ports, parallel port
(but no disk or SCSI).

Kit comes with lots of books and sells for $532 or $995 depending.  Parts
to complete would be about $300 to $400 additional.

I recommend the PC532 instead for all except hardware hackers.  The PC532 has
space for up to 16mb of RAM, 8 serial ports and SCSI.  The PC532 actually
has *less* glue logic.

But if you want a 532 DK, let me know, I'll sell you mine, minus 532 chip,
once I get the PC532 put together.

> availability? (It's  been looking like there's some trouble getting ahold
> of some of the bugs...)

Yes, bugs are scarce in NS32 systems (is that what you meant?).

news@daver.bungi.com (10/23/90)

Hi John,

I do not remember if I have sent you an answer regarding one of
the questions you have asked me. I got the following response from
the design center:

>The software in question is the famous "nscpdl". We had the intention  of
>providing a "bulletin-board", but never went through with it.

Just to expalin. NSCPDL is a minimal PDL language to allow for easy
port of Page Description Languages to run on a 32000 platform. We
use it a lot when we do such porting. It basically allows you to deal
first with the drivers with a minimal set PDl. You then recompile the
PDL with no optimization and get it up and running. The last stage
is code optimization.

Regards, Reuven