[comp.sys.nsc.32k] SCN2681 DUARTs

phil@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu (Phil Nelson) (11/12/90)

Hi,
  I was looking over the information on the SCN2681s and how they
are configured in the pc532 and I discovered something that I
wondered if it was really true.  By the documentation I have, it
looks like the following control signals are connected to the input
and output ports in the following way:
    RTSA OP0
    RTSB OP1
    DTRA OP2
    DTRB OP3
    RxRDYA OP4
    RxRDYB OP5

(Notice the alternating Port A on even OP and Port B on odd OP.)
And then...
    CTSA IP0
    CTSB IP1
**  DCDB IP2
**  DCDA IP3

Is it really wired that way or are the schematics wrong or are my
documents that describe the pinout for the 2681 wrong?

Thanks!
--Phil

george@wombat.bungi.COM (George Scolaro) (11/13/90)

[In the message entitled "SCN2681 DUARTs" on Nov 11, 16:42, Phil Nelson writes:]

> Hi,
>   I was looking over the information on the SCN2681s and how they
> are configured in the pc532 and I discovered something that I
> wondered if it was really true.  By the documentation I have, it
> looks like the following control signals are connected to the input
> and output ports in the following way:
>     RTSA OP0
>     RTSB OP1
>     DTRA OP2
>     DTRB OP3
>     RxRDYA OP4
>     RxRDYB OP5
>
> (Notice the alternating Port A on even OP and Port B on odd OP.)
> And then...
>     CTSA IP0
>     CTSB IP1
> **  DCDB IP2
> **  DCDA IP3
>
> Is it really wired that way or are the schematics wrong or are my
> documents that describe the pinout for the 2681 wrong?

Yes this is correct. The 2681 allocates IP2 and IP3 as general purpose
inputs. I just used them any old how. As Dave mentions to me, this makes
it a tad harder on the software - but then he agreed with my allocation
in the first place! maybe he wasn't listening to me then...

Note that the schematics are 100% representative of the PCB - the netlist
was used to route the board and was then back annotated (to the schematics)
and checked again.

best regards,

--
George Scolaro
george@wombat.bungi.com                [37 20 51 N / 122 03 07 W]

rustyh@wam.umd.edu (Rusty Haddock) (11/14/90)

In article <9011121511.AA04945@wombat.bungi.COM> george@wombat.bungi.COM (George Scolaro) writes:
>[In the message entitled "SCN2681 DUARTs" on Nov 11, 16:42, Phil Nelson writes:]

I suppose you guys know about the SCC2692 which is a CMOS replacement for
the SCN2681. I have used it as a drop-in replacement and it's great (cool
as a cucumber). There are a few insignificant differences (outlined in
ap-note AN414 from Signetics.)

If you havn't seen it call Philips/Signetics (408)991-2000.

Its also available in a PLCC package.

--
Rusty Haddock		o  {uunet,att,rutgers}!mimsy.umd.edu!fe2o3!rusty
Laurel, Maryland	o  "IBM sucks silicon!" -- PC Banana Jr, "Bloom County"